U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2021, 10:57 AM

36,160 posts, read 36,562,303 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! City Data wasn't loading for me until now. They must have been doing an update...

Check your updates. Microsoft did one today that I can't uninstall.

~ Do you ever experience 'updates' when using your computing gadget(s)? Do they ever change things not necessarily to your liking? I can't answer this question because, although it seems to be impossible, Microsoft has now gone to the top of my "most hated list," easily passing the GPS lady with the auto update I do not want and can't uninstall...and they did it today.

~ Do you have a thermometer to check for fever? 3 but I can't find one of them.

~ Have you a sphagmometer (blood pressure) thingy? I have a wrist blood pressure thing.

~ Do you drink tea or coffee? tea - cold.

~ Have you ever had something to eat in a hospital? yes

~ Well, have you peed aboard a bus? No

~ Where were you when the mosquitos were really bad? In a wildlife refuge in June of 2020. I usually go in late April/early May but the governor of that state didn't lift his quarantine orders for out-of-staters until June 1. It was awful and I had a mosquito head covering, a hat and Off (bug spray).

~ How often do you use a camera? At least once a month. I have 4 of them: 2 DSLRs, 1 compact camera that could fit in my pocket (it has a "through-glass" setting which I find appealing for the windshield) and 1 point and shoot.

~ Are there television shows that you find to be offensive? Which ones? CNN, everything trashy on WE TV except Law & Order (original and Criminal Intent) re-runs and The Real Housewives (the commercials for them make me gag) of anyplace.

~ Any foods that you really should stop eating: My problem is soft drinks.

~ Something you wish for while stranded on a deserted island for 3 weeks: A guy who knows how to build a boat.

~ List some products that have been noticeably downsized: butter tubs and ice cream.

~ Have you ever pawned anything? No

~ Have you ever, that you recall, tried your hand at anything artistic? What have you attempted and did you like the results at all? I like to artistically alter photographs. I'll show you a before and after. I turned a regular university garden into something that looked like an Impressionist painting:

~ Would you enjoy a can of quality sardines or is that an oxymoron? Don't eat anything that comes out of the water.

Everyone have a good weekend!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 11:04 AM

36,160 posts, read 36,562,303 times
[quote=Stripes17;61226815]Good morning to everyone!

~ Where were you when the mosquitos were really bad?
Camping and canoeing in the Jersey Pine Barrens. But then the horseflies distracted me from the skeeters.

Have you ever seen the horror movie called The Barrens? It's in my all-time top 5 of horror movies. The ending is a doozy! It's about a family.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:15 PM

14,042 posts, read 18,513,002 times
Hi folks! City Data wasn't loading for me until now. They must have been doing an update...

~ Do you ever experience 'updates' when using your computing gadget(s)? Do they ever change things not necessarily to your liking?
Oh yea. Windows 10 comes to mind.

~ Do you have a thermometer to check for fever?
One glass thermometer and one no-touch, infrared thermometer.

~ Have you a sphagmometer (blood pressure) thingy?
Yes.

~ Do you drink tea or coffee?
Yes. I'm drinking iced tea right now.

~ Have you ever had something to eat in a hospital?
A couple of times when I was in one for several days. The Lubbock Heart Hospital has as great food as they have great employees.

~ Well, have you peed aboard a bus?
I've been on buses with restrooms but no. I've never tried them.

Every morning here before the weeds and grass dry out.

~ How often do you use a camera?
Just about every day.

~ Are there television shows that you find to be offensive? Which ones?
No TVs in this house so I can't speak to anything since the 1980s. Dan Rather perhaps?

~ Any foods that you really should stop eating:
Just about everything but let me think on that.

~ Something you wish for while stranded on a deserted island for 3 weeks:
Most likely a good dehumidifier or an AC.

~ List some products that have been noticeably downsized:
Canned foods and most packaged foods, cars and engines, garages and living space, PCs and most other electronics, energy, chat room replies. . .

~ Have you ever pawned anything?
No but I love pawn shops.

~ Have you ever, that you recall, tried your hand at anything artistic?
I used to draw things but not much anymore unless I just have to. I've also tried my hand at several musical instruments.
What have you attempted and did you like the results at all?
I was very close to being selected for a job and a promotion right out of agency training when the instructors saw my detailed pencil sketches of a few exotic agricultural pests that I had been allowed to draw and use for our final pest identification tests. I shared them with other members to help them out on the tests but anyone could have passed such easy tests without any help.

These days the closet thing to art that I do, and that I like, is to play my guitar along with YouTube videos in the evenings. Headed there now.

~ Would you enjoy a can of quality sardines or is that an oxymoron?
I love sardines on a cracker but I just finished dinner so no thanks.

**** Wishing you good health and happiness! ****
Wishing the same for you Roosty.

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 06-11-2021 at 06:30 PM..

Old 06-11-2021, 08:37 PM

618 posts, read 98,857 times
~ Do you ever experience 'updates' when using your computing gadget(s)? Do they ever change things not necessarily to your liking?
recently nintendo did an update to the switch game consoles and then pulled it right away and broke my switch.

yup

yup

both...mostly coffee

yes every day at work

nope

inside?

once in blue moon i use the camera on my laptop

yes. walking dead and a lot of the gay/lesbian stuff (not all of it) and stuff with of sex, nudity & lots of swearing.

sugary stuff

drinkable water

hostess ding dongs. they used to be larger and fatter. they are like the size of a cookie now and they suck.

nope

~ Have you ever, that you recall, tried your hand at anything artistic? What have you attempted and did you like the results at all?
i've tried drawing and painting. not great. i've tried to play piano but i have to play by ear and i can't figure it out.

2 words...ewwwwwwwww gross!

Old 06-11-2021, 09:56 PM

1,854 posts, read 1,339,453 times
No, I go into 'control panel' or whatever its service config alternative is, and I absolutely disable/kill/deny anything running without my express permission and intent. My computers may patch Quarterly, or never at all, I rollback if the system if it now does something I dont like. An 'update' in the middle of the day which inconvienences or paralyzes ME and my flow, is unacceptable. Set that crap to run at midnight-2am, otherwise wait or skip.

Real popular during the Pandemic, and your employer may "require" daily temperature self-checks. I have 2, but they are only used when relevant (feeling ill).

Yes, got a cute little one for $9.95 at Harbor Freight, now I dont need the dirty chair at CVS. Sometimes it's nice to "meditate" and control your breathe, see if you can get it to 120/80 and hold it there like a musical note or a yoga pose. The "white coat effect" in a doctors office is very real, I have taken my blood pressure that many hundreds of times.

everyday, flip flop between them. 2 cups if coffee, 4 cups if tea. Bought a huge OCD selection of caffiene free herbal teas, as 'variety/entertainment' during the Pandemic - since there is/was no such things as going to Starbucks, Boba Shop, or whatever and getting a random beverage. If it's not in my cupboard, how was I gonna get to drink it?

I go Way Out of My Way to avoid Hospitals.

Gonna say no.

Went on vacation one time in Nevada near Tahoe, got swarmed hiking thru a creek by mosquitos but that was when I was younger. Now I eat so much garlic or sardines or alcohol, they literally do not like my blood - they will fly past me and go for you, I betcha. If one should land on me (I can hear them), I will flex my bicep and make them explode. Jus' kidding - theres no mosquitos around these parts.

If I can count my cell phone, all the time. If by camera you mean point-n-shoot or DLSR, havent touched one in 5+ years.

I dont watch broadcast TV and I am not easily offended.

Naw, my abs are important to me so I dialed in my diet years ago.

I get picked up in 3 weeks, right? Zero chance of Tom Hanks Castaway? Then I wish for late 1960s Barbara Eden I Dream of Jeannie in a bottle.

My expectations and hope for the future

No, I am wrong social/economic class to ever frequent pawn shops. I bought my first guitar at a pawn shop, but overall they are sad places, in rundown parts of town, filled with old crap and I havent set foot in one in decades.

~ Have you ever, that you recall, tried your hand at anything artistic? What have you attempted and did you like the results at all?
Artistic gene got my mom + my daughter, skipped my generation.

Yes, I love sardines. My favorite brand is La Sirena, because they feature a naked mermaid on the box. As woke/PC culture has grown, she keeps getting smaller and smaller. One day she's be gone, and I'll be sad. If they ever put a naked Merman on the tin, I will buy their cannery just to fire the CEO.

Old 06-11-2021, 10:55 PM

18,845 posts, read 6,635,839 times
Yes, Sometimes the new, "improved" version of an app is hard to get used to or no longer has a feature I liked.
Yes, both a digital and a mercury version.
Yes. One's the old-fashioned type where you have to pump it; the other is digital.
Yes, both.
Yes, both as a patient and in the hospital cafeteria when visiting a patient.
In the restroom, if they have one.
I've never lived in a place where mosquitoes were a problem. They don't like our cool, windy weather.
I use the camera on my phone all the time. At least several times a week.
There are some I wouldn't watch because the subject matter turns me off, such as "My 600-lb. Life" or "Dr. Pimple Popper."
I need to seriously cut down on carbs.
Internet access (and a smart phone or tablet).
  • Breakfast cereal. The boxes are so skinny now, they fall over if you sneeze.
  • OTC meds that are shrink-wrapped tablets mounted on cards, i.e. Sudafed. The cards now often have empty rows where tablets used to be, so the package size is the same but you get less product.
  • Yogurt. Standard size used to be 8 oz. Now it's 5 or 6 oz.
No, I haven't.
I've done some amateur painting and drawing in the past. Nothing to brag about, though.
I'm not a fan of oily, salty foods in general, so I'll pass, thank you.

Thanks, Roosty!

Old Today, 02:34 PM

6,771 posts, read 6,964,717 times
It seems if I only have a few minutes to use the computer that is when it decides to spend 20 minutes updating.

No

No

No

Finally a question I can answer "yes".

Many years ago traveling home by bus.

Picking berries in Alaska

Rarely

The ones where everyone is sitting around a table complaining about things

Nope

Being able to go forward in time for three weeks

Bottled orange juice

Tried to pawn my boss but they would not take him

I have no artistic ability

I would

**** Wishing you good health and happiness! ****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics