Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 05:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,931,652 times

Advertisements

I have learned three things today that I should have known.

1. I can tell Siri to dial one of my contacts! I had no idea.

2. I learned the order of the colors of the rainbow. I looked this up online and was surprised to see that they teach this to elementary students!

3. There is a mnemonic device to aid in remembering the colors, but I promptly forgot it.

Rainbow order:

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet

Are you sometimes surprised at what you don’t know?

I think the mnemonic is ROY G BIV

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-30-2021 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: Merged two threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 05:33 PM

12,047 posts, read 10,178,435 times
Streaming TV

I kind of knew what it was, but have never used it. I really do not watch TV. It is on but only on the Hallmark Channel - lol

But today someone wanted to know if it was streamed, so had to look it up and then see what exactly was involved.

Maybe when I crack open my four year old present - smart TV - I will set it up. TV is still in the box.

Hey current TV is still semi good.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:45 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,020,569 times
I was age 45 before i learned i could lock a gasoline pump in place with the little lever , without squeezing the trigger the whole time it was filling.

Also that most drivers brake with their right foot. I had always used my left foot, as the reaction time seems quicker that way in an emergency.

I also grew up very sheltered, and never realized for decades, that the folk song "Abraham, Martin, and John" referred to the 3 tragic assassinations. I just thought it was a harmless benign little song.

Last edited by slowlane3; 12-27-2020 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: ⁸

Old 12-27-2020, 05:50 PM

12,047 posts, read 10,178,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I was 45 before i learned i could lock a gasoline pump in place with the little lever , without squeezing the trigger the whole time.

Also that most drivers brake with their right foot. I had always used my left foot, as the reaction time is quicker that way in an emergency.
yea but when you brake with your right foot, you are also taking your foot off the gas pedal. That is why you use your right foot.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:52 PM

15,631 posts, read 26,115,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I was 45 before i learned i could lock a gasoline pump in place with the little lever , without squeezing the trigger the whole time.

Also that most drivers brake with their right foot. I had always used my left foot, as the reaction time is quicker that way in an emergency.
I drove a stick shift for 42 years. My left foot is for the clutch. It is now remaining firmly planted on the floor so I don’t screw up and hit the brake, because I forgot I drive an automatic now.

It’s been two years.... tried to shift the other day.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:11 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,180,688 times
Smile Regarding Social Security - Self Employment

My husband has a client (he is a CPA) and the client and her husband are in the same line of work as me.

I did their refinance for them and their W2's are great about $100K per year each, however, in looking at their bank statements, I did not see any monthly deposits so I questioned this.

Comment from Client:
Oh, at the end of the year, we just total what we took out and take a W2 and pay the tax. The payroll company gives us a paper check which is never cashed but the tax is paid and the SS and Medicare so we will get more SS when the time comes.

I was rather shocked and wondered how they could do this. Well, I asked my husband and he said it's very common for self employed people to do this.

Well, I said to him (husband CPA) - Why didn't you ever tell me to do that so I would get more SS?

Note:
I'm trying to do that this year but I have to pay the tax and SS. Wish I had know this 16 years ago; would have made a big difference.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:43 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,159,779 times
Bette, those checks would show up as an outstanding check in their business accounts and therefore a liability to the company. Doesn't this screw up the business books? There's got to be something wrong with this. And if these 2 don't cash checks, what are they actually living on? Do they have other jobs?

Old 12-27-2020, 10:57 PM

6,869 posts, read 11,180,688 times
Smile See below

They take distributions during the year. Most small business owners also lend the business money from time to time.

For example, I did that myself this year - I had to do an IRA so I took a distribution and that is what it shows up on the books.

So, I checked with my husband and he said the uncashed check would create a loan account for the owner.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:13 PM

41,724 posts, read 17,294,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have learned three things today that I should have known.

1. I can tell Siri to dial one of my contacts! I had no idea.

2. I learned the order of the colors of the rainbow. I looked this up online and was surprised to see that they teach this to elementary students!

3. There is a mnemonic device to aid in remembering the colors, but I promptly forgot it.

Rainbow order:

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Indigo
Violet

Are you sometimes surprised at what you don’t know?

I think the mnemonic is ROY G BIV
If you now know the 7 colors of the rainbow then you also know the 7 chakras as they are in the opposite order from the head down

Old 12-27-2020, 11:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,931,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you now know the 7 colors of the rainbow then you also know the 7 chakras as they are in the opposite order from the head down
“From the head down?”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics