Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 11:01 AM

24,520 posts, read 26,062,884 times

Advertisements

Let's get right down to it.

What have you learned not to mess with?https://pics3.city-data.com/forum/im...ilies/tape.gif
The wifes spice cabinet.

Have you ever had trouble dealing with doctors or other medical people?
No

Who was the biggest conniver you ever dealt with? Anecdotes welcome.
A Robo caller that has a distinct accent that calls a few times a month pimping fire, police, political, and other various charities. Gotta give him a A for persistance.

Any lightbulbs need changing down your way?
Yep, 2 8' flourecent ones in the garage.

What were you particularly clueless about?
The Birds and the Bees with were beind the operative word.

Do puppets or dolls ever creep you out? Any idea why?
No

What do you think is overrated?
Social media, Woke movement.

Thanx PegE for the fun Q's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 11:22 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,835,501 times

What have you learned not to mess with? electricity.

Have you ever had trouble dealing with doctors or other medical people? No. However, if you are subpar I will find someone different.

Any lightbulbs need changing down your way? Usually.

What were you particularly clueless about? Where do I start?

Do puppets or dolls ever creep you out? Any idea why? 80s horror movies did that truck.

What do you think is overrated? Where do I start?

Old 12-11-2021, 11:43 AM

44,659 posts, read 61,722,489 times

What have you learned not to mess with? Those new vehicle electronics.

Have you ever had trouble dealing with doctors or other medical people? Yes, one dentist and one primary doctor that were taking over from our good retiring ones. Horrible manners and demanding attitudes.

Who was the biggest conniver you ever dealt with? Anecdotes welcome. Probably an ex-girl friend before marriage.

Any lightbulbs need changing down your way? None at the present.

What were you particularly clueless about? The quantum entanglement theory saying that particles can influence each other even if they're separated by great distances, like billions of miles or maybe the entire length of the universe.

Do puppets or dolls ever creep you out? Any idea why? No/n/a

What do you think is overrated? Celebrities of all genre.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:40 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,999 times
Answers enclosed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post

What have you learned not to mess with?

Answer: Skunks, poison ivy or poison oak.

Answer: Not for long. I'm not just a consumer of medicine, I'm also their employer.

Answer: I once met a true con man in my early 20's. He ran into me on campus and asked for a ride downtown to return a library book. When we got there he asked to borrow two dollars to pay the fine on the overdue book. He wrote down my name and address so he could return the money by mail. I gave him the two dollars and waited weeks for the letter he promised to return my money. I was completely taken in, and it took weeks to realize I had been conned.

....tied with....

When I was about 6 years old I was riding the Staten Island Ferry to Manhattan with my Mom. A well dressed older gentleman came over and started talking to us. At one point he gave me a small pin on button about the size of a dime with the letters JAC on it. He told me I was now a member of the Junior Astronomer's Club and I would be contacted with more details of membership and meetings. I guess my Mom must have known it was just a line but I waited for many weeks to be contacted by the Junior Astronomer's Club.

Answer: All the time. A porch light just blew out and I need to get up on the ladder to change it.

Answer: I never understood how women's minds work. And I have been married 48 years with two daughters and a grand daughter.

Answer: Nope, except Chucky. Probably because he's a character in a horror movie.

Answer: i-phones, expensive cars.

Old 12-11-2021, 02:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,577,715 times
Hey, folks. I live in Mayfield, Ky. the town hit by the EF 4 tornado last night. We live in a 110+ yr old double brick house and we felt it shake! I've never been so nervous in all my life. Just keep all of us in your thoughts and prayers.

What have you learned not to mess with? My wife, before coffee

Have you ever had trouble dealing with doctors or other medical people? A couple times

Who was the biggest conniver you ever dealt with? Anecdotes welcome. Politicians. lol

Any lightbulbs need changing down your way? Nope. No electricity here for a couple weeks anyway. lol

What were you particularly clueless about? We could be here all day on this one

Do puppets or dolls ever creep you out? Any idea why? Nope

What do you think is overrated? I do surveys on restaurant receipts to get free food, etc. They want you to say you were "highly satisfied" about everything. Highly satisfied is stupid. I think either you're satisfied or you're not!

Old 12-11-2021, 04:12 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,451,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

- White House special tours. Unless you are really into dishes and old furniture, take the general public White House tour or skip it altogether. (I'm assuming they still do special tours for some groups like high schools);
- wind turbines (bird killers);
- chi-chi restaurants that don't put enough food on your plate;
- lima beans (Don't believe me? Stop 10 random 5 year olds and ask );
- bug eating. Although I have no experience with it, I'm always suspicious when they put chocolate on some things or try to make you into a culturally-challenged rube who lacks the taste buds for the "finer delicacies" - crunch, crunch.
- champagne - just don't get why it's special
- social media (chit chat is chit chat - boring, too many rules).
- basketball - how can you claim there is defense when both teams score an unbelievable amount of points?
- golf on TV - quit whispering, add tackling, get those white pants dirty and leave the sherbet colored clothes at home, put bears in the woods and snakes in the ponds to make it a more interesting spectator sport and if you are going to win a jacket/blazer hold your games in cold places otherwise give the winners green flip flops.
This answer just about makes the thread, especially last item about golf.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:24 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,451,689 times
Alright!

Crazy people.

Have. Not all doctors are all that good.

See first answer. Don't mess with crazy people.

One went out inthe hall yesterday. I have to stand on a chair or step ladder to change it.

So many things early in life, but aren't we all.

Not really. Maybe they creep out some people because they look human but aren't?

Many things that are considered a big deal, fancy or exclusive.

Old 12-11-2021, 04:41 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,013,188 times

Electricity. Plugging car keys in an outlet as a toddler was the only lesson I needed.

Way too many times

Being somewhat ignorant, I do not know what a conniver is. Sort of sounds like a plant that only blooms in the jungle.

One in the bathroom has been out for at least 2 years.

Connivers for one

Only if I catch them eating my stinky cheese

Expensive beer

Old 12-11-2021, 05:08 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,013,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

- golf on TV - quit whispering, add tackling, get those white pants dirty and leave the sherbet colored clothes at home, put bears in the woods and snakes in the ponds to make it a more interesting spectator sport and if you are going to win a jacket/blazer hold your games in cold places otherwise give the winners green flip flops.
The only time I like to watch golf on TV is when they are golfing on a really windy day. Lots of golf balls hit into the trees, sand, and water.

Old 12-11-2021, 06:38 PM

21,577 posts, read 8,751,556 times
Some C-D members who post in the P&OC forum.
I had one old-school doctor who didn't believe me when I thought I had a problem. I had an idea what was wrong, but he wouldn't run the test I asked for. He thought I was just depressed. But I kept getting worse. I had to take a leave from my job because I couldn't function. Finally the doctor grudgingly agreed to the test "if it will make you happy." When the results came back, it confirmed my suspicions. A reading that should have been 5.5 or less was almost 132! I was put on medication immediately and finally began to recover.
There was a guy named Don who was my supervisor when I first joined the crew. He was an insecure type who wasn't that good at his job. Nobody liked him. Behind his back, some called him "Charlie Brown" because he was balding and had a hangdog aura about him. But anyone who underestimated him did so at their peril. He was sneaky and manipulative.

Don was assigned to train me, but instead he set me up to fail numerous times before I caught on to his game. He did that to others, too - mostly women. His strategy for maintaining his power was to sabotage newbies so they looked worse and he looked better. Years passed. Don and I never warmed up to each other. I avoided him as much as possible. But as I acquired more experience and became better at my job, he started coming to me for help. Much as I still disliked him I decided to be the better person, to put aside my old grudges and to treat him the way I wished he had treated me.

One day at work Don asked to speak to me privately. He (sort of) apologized for his behavior, and we became friendly after that. Meanwhile, he made one mistake too many and got fired. I can't say I was sorry when he left, but I was genuinely saddened when I read on Facebook a few years later that he had passed away.

No, but if you'd like you can come over and help us replace the kitchen light fixture...
Dating. I picked a few duds.
No, but some of them do look pretty creepy.
Travel

Thanks, PegE!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 12-11-2021 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics