Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 06:34 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,884 times

Advertisements

What was a typical Sunday like at your house when you were growing up? often times my grandparents would come over to visit. Gramp would sit in the Lazy-boy, fall asleep and burn small holes in the arm of the chair with his cigar. Gram, even though she knew not to, would be playing cards in the dining room and be on the 'ready' to cover over the cards with a tablecloth if visitors came.

What are some things you are glad that you did? all the things that a kid would do

What are some things you wish you hadn’t done? not sure

What are some things you wish you had done? be more musically incllined

When you shop online, do you leave reviews at the site? yes, when I think of it.

Have you ever left a negative review and had it either deleted or never posted? I think they were posted

Will you be returning or exchanging any merchandise soon? no, I'm happy with everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 06:46 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Today’s Questions:
What was a typical Sunday like at your house when you were growing up? We came home from church, ate dinner, Daddy left for the golf course, my brother and I went out to play and Mama would take a nap

What are some things you are glad that you did? Taking my sons camping and fishing. They both still do both

What are some things you wish you hadn’t done? We could be here all week on that one

What are some things you wish you had done? Finished college

When you shop online, do you leave reviews at the site? Don't do much online shopping

Have you ever left a negative review and had it either deleted or never posted? I've left reviews on restaurants and it was posted

Will you be returning or exchanging any merchandise soon? Nope. Everything is good

Old 12-26-2021, 09:11 AM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Today’s Questions:
What was a typical Sunday like at your house when you were growing up?
Other than my parents not having to go to work it was pretty much like other days of the week. Sometimes we would take a drive in the country snd have dinner at a resturant which was a treat.

What are some things you are glad that you did?
Was able to spend quality time with the kids in sports, YMCA and camping.

What are some things you wish you hadn’t done?
Dropped out of college.

What are some things you wish you had done?
Get my degree.

When you shop online, do you leave reviews at the site?
I did, but I don't any longer.

Have you ever left a negative review and had it either deleted or never posted?
No

Will you be returning or exchanging any merchandise soon?
I don't think so.

Thanx Bayarea4. Wow, there was a whole bunch of things happening historically.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:09 AM

3,069 posts, read 1,680,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 26, 2021. If you’re British, it’s Boxing Day. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people born on this date include Chinese Communist Party Chairman Mao Zedong, English mathematician and engineer Charles Babbage, actors Richard Widmark, Elisha Cook, Jr. and Jaret Leto; TV talk show pioneer Steve Allen, music producer Phil Spector, journalist Candy Crowley and comedian, author and radio host David Sedaris.

Today’s Questions:
Church, Sunday breakfast, and oddly enough, housework. I have no idea why Mom wanted the housecleaning done on Sundays.
What are some things you are glad that you did? Leave home is #1. Travel. Work on mental issues.

What are some things you wish you hadn’t done? I didn't always handle things well. Can't really 'talk' about it.

What are some things you wish you had done? Learn to drive a long time ago. There are reasons why I didn't but still....

When you shop online, do you leave reviews at the site? Sometimes. I find it to be a bit of pain, really.

Have you ever left a negative review and had it either deleted or never posted? I've left negative reviews but I don't know if any were ever deleted.

Will you be returning or exchanging any merchandise soon? Unfortunately, yes, through Amazon. I was sent the wrong item.

a[/font][/color]
Thanks, Bay!

Old 12-26-2021, 01:06 PM

126,269 posts, read 19,041,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, December 26, 2021. If you’re British, it’s Boxing Day. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people born on this date include Chinese Communist Party Chairman Mao Zedong, English mathematician and engineer Charles Babbage, actors Richard Widmark, Elisha Cook, Jr. and Jaret Leto; TV talk show pioneer Steve Allen, music producer Phil Spector, journalist Candy Crowley and comedian, author and radio host David Sedaris.

Today’s Questions:
What was a typical Sunday like at your house when you were growing up?.....spending quality time with family

What are some things you are glad that you did?.....glad that we send our four kids to German school from Grade 1 to Grade 12 and that all of them took for many years Martial Arts classes

What are some things you wish you hadn’t done?.......... Rollerblade years ago and fell very badly and had a severe injury

What are some things you wish you had done?......travel to New Zealand

When you shop online, do you leave reviews at the site?.....No

Have you ever left a negative review and had it either deleted or never posted?.......No

Will you be returning or exchanging any merchandise soon?.....No

Today in History:
887 – Berengar I is elected as king of Italy by the lords of Lombardy. He is crowned with the Iron Crown of Lombardy at Pavia.
1481 – Battle of Westbroek: Holland defeats troops of Utrecht.
1489 – The forces of the Catholic Monarchs, Ferdinand and Isabella, take control of Almería from the Nasrid ruler of Granada, Muhammad XIII.
1776 – American Revolutionary War: In the Battle of Trenton, the Continental Army attacks and successfully defeats a garrison of Hessian forces.
1799 – Henry Lee III's eulogy to George Washington in congress declares him as "first in war, first in peace and first in the hearts of his countrymen". (This is not to be confused with Washington's funeral on December 18.)
1805 – Austria and France sign the Treaty of Pressburg.
1806 – Battles of Pultusk and Golymin: Russian forces hold French forces under Napoleon.
1811 – A theater fire in Richmond, Virginia kills the Governor of Virginia George William Smith and the president of the First National Bank of Virginia Abraham B. Venable.
1825 – Advocates of liberalism in Russia rise up against Czar Nicholas I but are suppressed in the Decembrist revolt in Saint Petersburg.
1860 – First Rules derby is held between Sheffield F.C. and Hallam F.C., the oldest football fixture in the world.
1861 – American Civil War: The Trent Affair: Confederate diplomatic envoys James Murray Mason and John Slidell are freed by the United States government, thus heading off a possible war between the United States and the United Kingdom.
1862 – American Civil War: The Battle of Chickasaw Bayou begins.
1862 – Four nuns serving as volunteer nurses on board USS Red Rover are the first female nurses on a U.S. Navy hospital ship.
1862 – The largest mass-hanging in U.S. history took place in Mankato, Minnesota, where 38 Native Americans died.
1871 – Thespis, the first Gilbert and Sullivan collaboration, debuts. It does modestly well, but the two would not collaborate again for four years and the score has been lost.
1898 – Marie and Pierre Curie announce the isolation of radium.
1919 – Babe Ruth of the Boston Red Sox is sold to the New York Yankees by owner Harry Frazee, allegedly establishing the Curse of the Bambino superstition.
1941 – U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs a bill establishing the fourth Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day in the United States.
1943 – World War II: German warship Scharnhorst is sunk off Norway's North Cape after a battle against major Royal Navy forces.
1944 – World War II: George S. Patton's Third Army breaks the encirclement of surrounded U.S. forces at Bastogne, Belgium.
1948 – Cardinal József Mindszenty is arrested in Hungary and accused of treason and conspiracy.
1948 – The last Soviet troops withdraw from North Korea.
1963 – The Beatles' "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "I Saw Her Standing There" are released in the United States, marking the beginning of Beatlemania on an international level.
1966 – The first Kwanzaa is celebrated by Maulana Karenga, the chair of Black Studies at California State University, Long Beach.
1968 – The Communist Party of the Philippines is established by Jose Maria Sison, breaking away from the Partido Komunista ng Pilipinas-1930.1972 – Vietnam War: As part of Operation Linebacker II, 120 American B-52 Stratofortress bombers attacked Hanoi, including 78 launched from Andersen Air Force Base in Guam, the largest single combat launch in Strategic Air Command history.
1975 – Tu-144, the world's first commercial supersonic aircraft, surpassing Mach 2, goes into service.
1980 – Witnesses report the first of several sightings of unexplained lights near RAF Woodbridge, in Rendlesham Forest, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom, an incident called "Britain's Roswell".
1989 – United Express Flight 2415 crashes on approach to the Tri-Cities Airport in Pasco, Washington, killing all six people on board.[7]
1991 – The Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union meets and formally dissolves the Soviet Union, ending the Cold War.[8]
1994 – Four Armed Islamic Group hijackers seize control of Air France Flight 8969. When the plane lands at Marseille, a French Gendarmerie assault team boards the aircraft and kills the hijackers.
1998 – Iraq announces its intention to fire upon U.S. and British warplanes that patrol the northern and southern no-fly zones.
1999 – The storm Lothar sweeps across Central Europe, killing 137 and causing US$1.3 billion in damage.
2003 – The 6.6 Mw Bam earthquake shakes southeastern Iran with a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent), leaving more than 26,000 dead and 30,000 injured.
2004 – The 9.1–9.3 Mw Indian Ocean earthquake shakes northern Sumatra with a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent). One of the largest observed tsunamis, it affected coastal and partially mainland areas of Thailand, India, Sri Lanka, the Maldives, Malaysia, Myanmar, Bangladesh, and Indonesia; death toll is estimated at 227,898.
2004 – Orange Revolution: The final run-off election in Ukraine is held under heavy international scrutiny.
2006 – 2006 Hengchun earthquakes.
2012 – China opens the world's longest high-speed rail route, which links Beijing and Guangzhou.
2015 – During the December 2015 North American storm complex, a Tornado Outbreak occurs in the DFW Metroplex. About a dozen people die, and there is substantial damage to the suburb of Rowlett.

Word of the Day:
sol·ute /ˈsälyo͞ot/ noun
· The minor component in a solution, dissolved in the solvent. Example: the sugar in your coffee is a solute.

Today’s Quote:
“If you read somebody’s diary, you get what you deserve.”
- David Sedaris

Today Is:
Boxing Day (British)
First Day of Kwanzaa

Thank you Bayarea

Old 12-26-2021, 03:11 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
Today’s Questions:

Fairly quiet. We were not church goers. In the summer lots of playing outdoors - bike riding, swimming, baseball, hiking. In the winter ice skating or snowball fights.

Oh lots of things. Going to college all 4 years (something neither of my brothers managed). Getting married. Moving at the right time - not moving at the wrong time (almost moved before the 2008 market crash). Making sure we carried little to no debt - we're finally mortgage free! Making sure our kid isn't saddled with thousands in student loans.

I wish I hadn't bought the Ford Contour. That car was crap. I'll never own another Ford.

I always wanted to travel more when our kid was young. But we were strapped for cash for several years and it just didn't happen.

Sometimes. If it's quite good or really bad.

Yeah.

Actually no! I'm pleased to say that everything I gave or received this year was just right.

Old 12-26-2021, 05:15 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,002,874 times
Today’s Questions:
Maybe go on a Sunday drive. Usually a more than a usual dinner. Some camping. Cookouts.

When I went to work for the airline I was hired as a station rep. A week after I was hired they announced they were going to close the station. I asked to become a traveling rep. Saw a lot of the world and had lots of fun.

I wished I hadn't failed to check the back side of the test to see if there were any questions there on a test in college.

Go to the Bird House Bar outside of Anchorage. It was this really nasty looking cabin that looked as if it was slowly sinking into the ground. Turns out the place was somewhat famous. It burned down. So I will never have a chance to go inside it. One of the nightclubs in Anchorage recreated it in their bar.

Only if I am real happy with the product and service. There are too many places that have been known to sue people that left negative reviews.

Nope

Nothing to return

Old 12-26-2021, 09:30 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Today’s Questions:
Church, home, TV shows like Disney were on Sundays if I recall correctly.

Traveled a lot.

Probably once or twice when I misbehaved as a kid.

Regrets? I've had a few, but then again too few to mention. No one bats 1.000

Years ago I left reviews now and then on Amazon.

I'd contact Amazon or the 3rd party seller there or on Ebay before publishing a negative review. A few times when something wasn't right it has always been made right.

Nope. A very low key holiday this year.

Thanks, BA4!

Old 12-28-2021, 01:54 AM

21,539 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Today’s Questions:
My stepmother would make usually make spaghetti as she was Italian-American. She, my dad and her three younger kids would spend the afternoon at her mother's house. I would usually stay home so I could have some peace and quiet and listen to my Caruso LPs without being mocked.
Quit smoking.
Left my difficult and emotionally abusive first marriage.
Got an Associate's Degree in my 40s and took some upper division classes.
Bought a house before they became out of reach for average working people.
Saved and invested so I could afford to retire early.

Dropped out of college to follow my boyfriend to the East Coast.
Started smoking.
Followed strict diets that made me gain back even more after I stopped.
Worried so much about being an old maid when I wasn't married by 25.

Finished my education.
Traveled more.
Refinished the hardwood floors before we moved into the house.
Bought Apple stock in the 1990s.

Sometimes I do, but I dislike being asked to leave one.

Yes. I bought a vibrating sleep mask from Sharper Image that was supposed to be soothing, but the motor was so loud it sounded like cement mixers were driving through my brain. I left a negative review, but it was never published.
No, unless the nightshirt I bought Mr. Bay doesn't fit. He hasn't tried it on yet.

Thanks to everyone for your answers.

Old 12-28-2021, 03:39 PM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
Today’s Questions:
Go to Church, watch Star Trek, afterwards have a big family meal, later watch Disney
When I was a teenager I refused to get up early to go to Church any more....stayed at home and slept in, the only day of the week that I could catch up on my sleep.
later in the day,I often would go outside and commune with nature then though....food for my soul~
(more inspirational to me,more soul renewing than anything I had experienced in a church building.)

Gave birth to and raised my Son, gave to certain charities, donated blood, traveled a lot.
No use dwelling on things that are over and done, and cannot be changed,
sometimes our darkest and saddest moments are the ones we learn from and grow from the most

College graduation, been a nicer teenager and not so much of a headache to my parents then.
Sometimes....but usually no I don't
No
No

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 12-28-2021 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics