Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 06:02 AM

7,252 posts, read 7,101,025 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday everyone! Let’s talk about seafood, because....

Today is: National Oysters Rockefeller Day
The recipe for baked oysters on the half shell with bread crumbs and a rich sauce was invented in 1889 in the French quarter restaurant called Antoine’s. The restaurant is still operating, and has never shared the original recipe. Many have tried to duplicate it.

Have you ever been to Antoine’s in New Orleans, and tasted Oysters Rockefeller?

I don't like oysters.

Have you ever had a copycat version?

When was the last time you went fishing, and did you catch anything?

I don't like to fish, especially sport fishing. If you're not fishing for food then what is the point?

How many times a month do you eat fish?

A few. We didn't have it a lot growing up so I don't know much about fish - how to choose it, how to fix it, what to go with it...

What kind of fish do you like the most, and how is it prepared?

I mostly like salmon. I bake it with a simple dill sauce.

If cost is no object, what, and where, is your ideal seafood meal?

Lobster, the biggest one I can find! Don't listen to anyone that says big ones are tough, they are just trying to sell you littles ones that are mostly shell.

For Sale....(short notice, I know)

A friend has 2 tickets to the Georgia- Alabama game tonight, both box seats. He paid $2400 per ticket, which includes a ride from the airport, lunch, dinner, a $400. bar tab, and back stage pass to the locker room. What he didn’t realize when he bought the tickets a year ago was it is the same day as his wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.

It’s at St Paul’s Church at 3:00 pm. Her name is Ashley, she’s 5’4”, 115 lbs, a good cook,loves to fish and hunt, and will clean your truck. She’ll be the one in the white dress.

Have a great week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2022, 06:12 AM

7,382 posts, read 5,496,398 times

The recipe for baked oysters on the half shell with bread crumbs and a rich sauce was invented in 1889 in the French quarter restaurant called Antoine’s. The restaurant is still operating, and has never shared the original recipe. Many have tried to duplicate it.

Have you ever been to Antoine’s in New Orleans, and tasted Oysters Rockefeller? No
Have you ever had a copycat version? No

When was the last time you went fishing, and did you catch anything? A couple years ago, caught blue gill.

How many times a month do you eat fish? Maybe once a month

What kind of fish do you like the most, and how is it prepared? Fried white fish.

If cost is no object, what, and where, is your ideal seafood meal? Lobster tail, scallops and garlic shrimp.

Old 01-10-2022, 07:20 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,790,630 times
Have you ever been to Antoine’s in New Orleans, and tasted Oysters Rockefeller? no
Have you ever had a copycat version? no

When was the last time you went fishing and did you catch anything? about 45 years ago. Seldom caught a fish.

How many times a month do you eat fish? 2

What kind of fish do you like the most, and how is it prepared? fish and chips are best with broiled a runner up. Haddock or pollock. Up in Alaska I really, really enjoyed Rockfish. Really.

If cost is no object, what, and where, is your ideal seafood meal? Sitka, Alaska: local pub called Bay View Pub. Fish and chips (rockfish) the best!

stay warm

Old 01-10-2022, 07:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,665 posts, read 81,421,151 times
Have you ever been to Antoine’s in New Orleans, and tasted Oysters Rockefeller? No

When was the last time you went fishing, and did you catch anything? Last summer, and no.

How many times a month do you eat fish? 4-6.

What kind of fish do you like the most, and how is it prepared? Sole, pan fried, followed by Salmon, baked, and Pollock, sandwiches or tacos (using Ultimate Fish Sticks from Costco.)

If cost is no object, what, and where, is your ideal seafood meal? Anthony's Restaurant, with several area locations. My favorite is the Wild Alaska King Salmon, Alder planked with sundried tomato and fresh basil butter ($58).

Old 01-10-2022, 09:02 AM

24,522 posts, read 26,062,884 times

No and no.

197X Caught some trout.

May be 1.

Broiled Mahi Mahi.

A friend has 2 tickets to the Georgia- Alabama game tonight, both box seats. He paid $2400 per ticket, which includes a ride from the airport, lunch, dinner, a $400. bar tab, and back stage pass to the locker room. What he didn’t realize when he bought the tickets a year ago was it is the same day as his wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.
Thanx gentlehearts. Think the game is in Indianapolis @ 8PM ET. Don't think I can make it. What a bummer.
It’s at St Paul’s Church at 3:00 pm. Her name is Ashley, she’s 5’4”, 115 lbs, a good cook,loves to fish and hunt, and will clean your truck. She’ll be the one in the white dress.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:03 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,230,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

When was the last time you went fishing, and did you catch anything? Last fall, caught some trout

How many times a month do you eat fish? 4 to 6

What kind of fish do you like the most, and how is it prepared? Trout, breaded, fried whole

If cost is no object, what, and where, is your ideal seafood meal? Fishermen's market, Eugene, Oregon, Dungeness crab

Have a great week!

You have a great week also!

Old 01-10-2022, 11:04 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,387,364 times

Yes. I've been to Antoine's. I worked four blocks from the restaurant for four years.
No. I've never had their Oyster's Rockefeller.
And no, I've never had a copycat version that I recall.

Probably some 40 years ago. And yes I did catch a crappie.

3 or 4.

I think baked shark is pretty good but anything is hard to beat good old campsite fried crappie.

It is difficult to beat seafood in New Orleans but my most memorable seafood meal was in a coastal restaurant in Vina Del Mar, Chile in the 1980s. Don't remember the name of the restaurant. We ate somewhere different almost every evening during the six weeks we were there.

Have a great week!
U2 Gentlearts. And thanks.

Old 01-10-2022, 12:31 PM

3,086 posts, read 1,689,816 times
Quote:

Have you ever been to Antoine’s in New Orleans, and tasted Oysters Rockefeller? Not yet. Every time I'm in NOLA I intend to have dinner there but it never happens. But I'm not fond of oysters, so that's not what I'd have.

When was the last time you went fishing, and did you catch anything? Fished only once in my life. Found it boring.

How many times a month do you eat fish? Once, at best. Husband doesn't like it, so it's never prepared at home.

What kind of fish do you like the most, and how is it prepared? Halibut, salmon, orange roughy.... I like it grilled with lots of butter and maybe lemon. But I love crustaceans - crab with drawn butter, crawfish boils....

If cost is no object, what, and where, is your ideal seafood meal? Love Deanie's Seafood in Metairie, LA.[/b]

Have a great week!
Thanks, 'Gentle'!

Old 01-10-2022, 02:52 PM

14,816 posts, read 8,145,319 times
Quote:

No and no. Also no interest - don't like oysters.
If I ever go there, it would be something else on the menu that I would chose.

Decades ago, I don't like fishing.
Really varies....sometimes not at all, sometimes twice a week.

salmon, cod, albacore.....I like it grilled the most or broiled or baked, also really like fish and chips.
Grilled salmon or coconut encrusted cod, or shrimp and steak....
the best restaurants that I have been to aren't the posh, expensive ones....
usually the local ones, close to the water, the little Mom and Pop type places are my favorites.
I would pick Kip's Cove a little place in Louisville that I use to adore, not for sure if it is still there though...it was a small family run place.

LOL
Have a great week!

Old 01-10-2022, 07:24 PM

12,461 posts, read 2,983,198 times
No
No
I was a child. I caught one fish. Poor little fish.
I don't.
Not a fan.
If I had to I might do a garlic shrimp dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics