Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 11:25 AM

155 posts, read 205,013 times

Advertisements

It was yesterday around like 8:30 pm when all lanes were hogged up on the highway which would be 4 lanes going in the same direction. For no reason this person was going in the left lane and almost same limit as everyone. The left is for passing which I don’t understand why people don’t get. I saw an opening and suddenly this person speeds up from the left to try and block me but I got in front of that idiot.

What is that idiot gonna tell the cops/insurance if he rear ends me for trying to block me from passing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2022, 11:49 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
--OR-- What are you going to tell your insurance agent, the police, and your family when you're laid-up in the hospital because you chose to play stupid games with a stupid person. Sorry, but I avoid getting angry when driving, especially these days. You could end up dead if you get po'd with the wrong knucklehead.

Be safe to the best of your ability. You can only control your own actions/reactions.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:30 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Patience is a virtue!

Old 08-20-2022, 03:01 PM

I wasn’t being the knuckle head jogging up the left lane and I can take care of myself I can assure you.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:24 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
I wasn’t being the knuckle head jogging up the left lane and I can take care of myself I can assure you.
Maybe you should read the post again. No one called you a knucklehead. Be safe.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:30 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Where don't people use all available lanes in a back-up?

Old 08-20-2022, 03:48 PM

133 posts, read 95,691 times
I've held a driving licence for 72 years and am still driving daily. I have to admit to having been a rash driver and impatient speedster in my early years and was lucky not to have any major accidents. That was in the days before we even had speed signs on our roads. We learn by our mistakes.

I stick to all of the driving laws these days, but I see plenty of impatient drivers. They are mostly young drivers on 'Provisional' licences. We call them "P-Platers". These drivers have the ability to out-speed anybody else and to change lanes frequently at will. Now the ONLY reason they can do that is because everybody else is PATIENTLY sticking to the rules and driving patiently. If we all drove that way and changed lanes at will, Our cars would be colliding with one another all over the place.

It is my opinion that the safest behavior in which the OP (or anyone else for that matter) found himself would have been to tolerate the bad behaviour of the other driver, use self talk such as "There goes another idiot driving like a 'P-Plater" or "There goes an accident waiting to happen" and to sit PATIENTLY where he was, until such time as it was safe to change lanes. Family and friends will see you around for longer.

FWIW, that's my attitude to other annoying drivers these days and I'm still getting home unruffled each day.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogles31731 View Post
I've held a driving licence for 72 years and am still driving daily. I have to admit to having been a rash driver and impatient speedster in my early years and was lucky not to have any major accidents. That was in the days before we even had speed signs on our roads. We learn by our mistakes.

I stick to all of the driving laws these days, but I see plenty of impatient drivers. They are mostly young drivers on 'Provisional' licences. We call them "P-Platers". These drivers have the ability to out-speed anybody else and to change lanes frequently at will. Now the ONLY reason they can do that is because everybody else is PATIENTLY sticking to the rules and driving patiently. If we all drove that way and changed lanes at will, Our cars would be colliding with one another all over the place.

It is my opinion that the safest behavior in which the OP (or anyone else for that matter) found himself would have been to tolerate the bad behaviour of the other driver, use self talk such as "There goes another idiot driving like a 'P-Plater" or "There goes an accident waiting to happen" and to sit PATIENTLY where he was, until such time as it was safe to change lanes. Family and friends will see you around for longer.

FWIW, that's my attitude to other annoying drivers these days and I'm still getting home unruffled each day.
But why did that person speed up as soon as I was changing to the left lane when he was going slow. I was behind him for like 5 minute and I saw an opening so I took it and he decides to speed up just to **** me off for no reason.

I don’t get people and I don’t think I ever will.

Old 08-20-2022, 03:55 PM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
But why did that person speed up as soon as I was changing to the left lane when he was going slow. I was behind him for like 5 minute and I saw an opening so I took it and he decides to speed up just to **** me off for no reason.

I don’t get people and I don’t think I ever will.
No, he wasn't trying to **** you off (although it appears he was successful) but just the mind set of some drivers. It's epidemic here in the DC area, "I'm more important than you and must be in front".

Old 08-20-2022, 04:48 PM

133 posts, read 95,691 times
Apologies helpmeout1. It sounds as if you had been patiently waiting for an opening and then this driver deliberately chopped you off.

I would think that North Beach Person's explanation is more on the money. It sounds deliberate and if it was, then he is a road menace. But once again I think the best policy is just to regard him as a selfish idiot and to suck it up in such events on the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics