Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 10:04 PM

21,560 posts, read 8,739,775 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, September 4, 2022. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some notable people born in this date include composers Anton Bruckner and Darius Milhaud; radio host Paul Harvey, writer Mary Renault, film director Edward Dmytryk, restaurant critic Craig Claiborne, golfer Tom Watson, actors Dick York and Damon Wayans; actresses Mitzi Gaynor, Judith Ivey and Ione Skye; and singer Beyoncé.

Today’s Questions:
Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert?

What are some things you are grateful for?

Are you a dog person or a cat person, and why?

What is something people would never guess just by looking at you?

What is a relationship deal breaker for you?

What is one life goal you have yet to accomplish?

Today in History:
1607 – The Flight of the Earls takes place in Ireland.
1666 – In London, England, the most destructive damage from the Great Fire occurs.
1774 – New Caledonia is first sighted by Europeans, during the second voyage of Captain James Cook.
1781 – Los Angeles is founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de los Ángeles (The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels) by 44 Spanish settlers.
1800 – The French garrison in Valletta surrenders to British troops who had been called at the invitation of the Maltese. The islands of Malta and Gozo become the Malta Protectorate.
1812 – War of 1812: The Siege of Fort Harrison begins when the fort is set on fire.
1839 – Battle of Kowloon: British vessels open fire on Chinese war junks enforcing a food sales embargo on the British community in China in the first armed conflict of the First Opium War.
1862 – American Civil War Maryland Campaign: General Robert E. Lee takes the Army of Northern Virginia, and the war, into the North.
1870 – Emperor Napoleon III of France is deposed and the Third Republic is declared.
1882 – The Pearl Street Station in New York City becomes the first power plant to supply electricity to paying customers.
1886 – American Indian Wars: After almost 30 years of fighting, Apache leader Geronimo, with his remaining warriors, surrenders to General Nelson Miles in Arizona.
1888 – George Eastman registers the trademark Kodak and receives a patent for his camera that uses roll film.
1923 – Maiden flight of the first U.S. airship, the USS Shenandoah.
1936 – Spanish Civil War: Largo Caballero forms a war cabinet to direct the republican war effort.
1939 – World War II: William J. Murphy commands the first Royal Air Force attack on Germany.
1941 – World War II: A German submarine makes the first attack of the war against a United States warship, the USS Greer.
1944 – World War II: The British 11th Armoured Division liberates the Belgian city of Antwerp.
1944 – World War II: Finland exits from the war with Soviet Union.
1948 – Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands abdicates for health reasons.
1949 – The Peekskill riots erupt after a Paul Robeson concert in Peekskill, New York.
1950 – Darlington Raceway is the site of the inaugural Southern 500, the first 500-mile NASCAR race.
1951 – The first live transcontinental television broadcast, the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference, takes place in San Francisco.
1957 –The governor of Arkansas calls out the National Guard to prevent African American students from enrolling in Little Rock Central High School.
1964 – Scotland's Forth Road Bridge near Edinburgh officially opens.
1967 – Vietnam War: Operation Swift begins when U.S. Marines engage the North Vietnamese in battle in the Que Son Valley.
1970 – Salvador Allende is elected President of Chile.
1972 – Swimmer Mark Spitz becomes the first competitor to win seven medals at a single Olympic Games.
1972 – “The Price Is Right “premieres on CBS. It became the longest running game show on American television.
1975 – The Sinai Interim Agreement relating to the Arab–Israeli conflict is signed.
1977 – The Golden Dragon massacre takes place at a restaurant in San Francisco’s Chinatown.
1985 – The discovery of Buckminsterfullerene, the first fullerene molecule of carbon.
1989 – In Leipzig, East Germany, the first of weekly demonstrations for the legalization of opposition groups and democratic reforms takes place.
1998 – Google is founded by Stanford students Larry Page and Sergey Brin.
1998 – The popular TV game show “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” premieres on ITV.
2001 – Tokyo DisneySea opens to the public as part of the Tokyo Disney Resort in Urayasu, Chiba, Japan.
2002 – The Oakland Athletics win their 20th consecutive baseball game, an American League record.
2007 – Three terrorists suspected to be a part of Al-Qaeda are arrested in Germany after allegedly planning attacks on both the Frankfurt International airport and US military installations.
2010 – A 7.1 magnitude earthquake strikes the South Island of New Zealand causing widespread damage and several power outages.
2020 – Pope Benedict XVI becomes the longest-lived pope, 93 years, four months, 16 days, surpassing Pope Leo XIII, who died in 1903.

Word of the Day:
virga /ˈvərɡə/ \noun METEOROLOGY
a mass of streaks of rain appearing to hang under a cloud and evaporating before reaching the ground.
"Dry air below causes the rain to evaporate before reaching the ground in a phenomenon known as virga.”
Origin 1940s: from Latin, literally ‘rod, stripe’.

Quote of the Day:
“In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these.”
- Paul Harvey

Today Is:
Bring Your Manners to Work Day
Newspaper Carrier Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 10:22 PM

11,378 posts, read 9,296,826 times
Today’s Questions:
Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert? - Side with introvert but may not be that bad.

What are some things you are grateful for? - My health. I'm active and do a lot more than most people my age.

Are you a dog person or a cat person, and why? - I just never wanted to be bothered. Dogs over cats.

What is something people would never guess just by looking at you? - Hip and progressive. Energetic.

What is a relationship deal breaker for you? - Opposite sides of the political aisle.

What is one life goal you have yet to accomplish? - Pass.

Thanks, Bay!

Old 09-03-2022, 10:58 PM

30,566 posts, read 16,256,699 times
Good morning, Bay

Today’s Questions:
introvert.

so many things-guess I'll limit it to living where I live. Lots of locally grown food, forests, good people,

At this point in time, neither. I've had more dogs than cats but was really looking forward to not having any pets. Underfoot (cat) didn't get the memo and gifted me a total of 5 kittens, 2 of which I still have.

my age

finding out he's married would do it.

have to get back to you on that.

Thanks, Bay

Old 09-03-2022, 11:14 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,801,561 times
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, September 4, 2022. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some notable people born in this date include composers Anton Bruckner and Darius Milhaud; radio host Paul Harvey, writer Mary Renault, film director Edward Dmytryk, restaurant critic Craig Claiborne, golfer Tom Watson, actors Dick York and Damon Wayans; actresses Mitzi Gaynor, Judith Ivey and Ione Skye; and singer Beyoncé.

Today’s Questions:
I'm an introvert. Other factors come into play when I become an extrovert.

Too many to name. Grateful might not be the right word.

Both. Right now I'm a cat person because I have a cat. Honestly I think I might be more of a dog person. Don't tell my cat that though. Dogs are just so loyal.

That I am Northsouth. I think we would all be surprised if we had a get together. But you meant in real life. I don't know, maybe that I did the things that I did back in the day.

At this point in my life, pretty much everything. I do not do projection and twisting of words to make me look superior or to snow someone. I require respect and a steak dinner once a month.

I have actually achieved my life goats. They are good for yoga. No that was stupid, but seriously - I did get to fulfill one of my life's dreams when I had my business. So I'm good except for the bucket list.

Word of the Day:
virga /ˈvərɡə/ \noun METEOROLOGY
a mass of streaks of rain appearing to hang under a cloud and evaporating before reaching the ground.
"Dry air below causes the rain to evaporate before reaching the ground in a phenomenon known as virga.”
Origin 1940s: from Latin, literally ‘rod, stripe’.

Quote of the Day:
“In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these.”
- Paul Harvey

Today Is:
Bring Your Manners to Work Day Pffft.
Newspaper Carrier Day
There are still newspaper carriers?

Thanks Bay, great questions and info.

Old 09-03-2022, 11:25 PM

44,645 posts, read 61,677,004 times
Today’s Questions:
Do you consider yourself an introvert or an extrovert? In between.

What are some things you are grateful for? Grated mozzarella cheese and a beer..

Are you a dog person or a cat person, and why? People, have already done the other 2.

What is something people would never guess just by looking at you? My age.

What is a relationship deal breaker for you? No sense of humor.

What is one life goal you have yet to accomplish? Travel to the Swiss Alps.

Old 09-03-2022, 11:34 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
Today’s Questions:
Introvert based on Myers-Briggs Personality Test: Mine is INTJ. You can take the test online for free if you want to see your own results. Had to take mine at work in a training class.

What are some things you are grateful for? Being alive.

Are you a dog person or a cat person, and why? I like big dogs like German Shepherds but it wouldn't be fair to a dog that large in an apartment.

What is something people would never guess just by looking at you? No idea.

What is a relationship deal breaker for you? I draw the line at serial killers, mass murderers and vegetarians.

What is one life goal you have yet to accomplish? Don't make goals. My excuse is I want to be free to change my mind when opportunities come up, not tied to some goal. But the truth is, when asked where I see myself in 5 years, I don't know where I see myself in 5 days...but don't say that in a job interview.

Old 09-04-2022, 12:07 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,613,044 times
Today’s Questions:
----- Introvert, 9 on the dial

------- sleeping on the floor since age 70. Ive fallen about 7 or 8 times, without getting hurt, because I feel "at home, down there".

------ I like both, for difffferent reasons, but have never had one. Lifestyle clash unfair to both me and pet.

----- I'm orderly about important things

------- Expiration-date hogwash. JK

------ Speak French

Old 09-04-2022, 12:50 AM

12,406 posts, read 2,977,798 times
Today’s Questions:
Either, depending on the situation.

A paid off house and cars.

I like both.

I have no idea.

Being rude, thoughtless and selfish.

Visit Hawaii.

Thanks, Bay!

Old 09-04-2022, 12:57 AM

14,787 posts, read 8,129,079 times
Today’s Questions:
Total Introvert.
(Although I can be an extrovert when it is called for.)

Everything. Every day. Family, friends, home, health, life, kitties, everything.
I am an animal person. I love animals.
If I had to pick a label I will go with cat lady (surprise!) but I love dogs too!

Dishonesty, cruelty

Old 09-04-2022, 02:29 AM

16,678 posts, read 17,451,554 times
Coucou Bay!

Hmm. An extrovert with occasional moments of introvercy.

Making the decision to come and live in France. Our beautiful, intellegent, kind and hard working daughter. Mrs J.

In the past I was more a dog person, but we have also had cats, so I'm now for both.

That deep down I'm really quite a shallow person.

I am put off by smoking.

World domination.

Thanks Bay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics