Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 08:12 PM

21,577 posts, read 8,751,556 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, October 2, 2022. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people born on this date include comedian Groucho Marx, Indian activist and philosopher Mahatma Gandhi, poet Wallace Stevens; photographer Annie Leibovitz, fashion designer Donna Karan, singer-songwriters Sting, Tiffany Darwish and Brittany Howard and TV personality Kelly Ripa.

Today’s Questions
Today is National Name Your Car Day. Have you ever named a car, and if so what name(s) did you choose and why?

Name at least one thing that’s popular today which you find annoying.

Where is the worst place you’ve been stuck for a long time?

What are some things you are good at?

Best and worst gifts you’ve ever received?

It’s October, and Halloween is coming. Do you like horror movies? If so, which ones are your favorites?

If you opened a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve?

Today in History:
829 – Theophilos succeeds his father, Michael II, as Byzantine Emperor.
939 – Battle of Andernach: Otto I, Holy Roman Emperor, crushes a rebellion against his rule, by a coalition of Eberhard of Franconia and other Frankish dukes.
1263 – The Battle of Largs is fought between Norwegians and Scots.
1470 – The Earl of Warwick's rebellion forces King Edward IV of England to flee to the Netherlands, restoring Henry VI to the throne.
1552 – Russo-Kazan Wars: Russian troops enter Kazan.
1780 – American Revolutionary War: John André, a British Army officer, is hanged as a spy by the Continental Army.
1789 – The United States Bill of Rights is sent to the various States for ratification.
1835 – Texas Revolution: Mexican troops attempt to disarm the people of Gonzales but encounter stiff resistance from a hastily assembled militia.
1864 – American Civil War: Confederates defeat a Union attack on Saltville, Virginia. A massacre of wounded Union prisoners ensues.
1870 – By plebiscite, the citizens of the Papal States accept annexation by the Kingdom of Italy.
1928 – The "Prelature of the Holy Cross and the Work of God," commonly known as Opus Dei, is founded.
1937 – Rafael Trujillo orders the execution of Haitians living in the border region of the Dominican Republic.
1942 – World War II: Ocean Liner RMS Queen Mary accidentally rams and sinks HMS Curacoa, killing over 300 crewmen aboard Curacoa.

1944 – World War II: German troops end the Warsaw Uprising.
1958 – Guinea declares its independence from France.
1967 – Thurgood Marshall is sworn in as the first African-American justice of the United States Supreme Court.
1968 – Mexican President Gustavo Díaz Ordaz orders soldiers to suppress a demonstration of unarmed students, ten days before the start of the 1968 Summer Olympics.
1970 – An aircraft carrying the Wichita State University football team, administrators, and supporters crashes in Colorado, killing 31 people.
1971 – South Vietnamese President Nguyen Van Thieu is re-elected in a one-man election.
1980 – Michael Myers becomes the first member of either chamber of Congress to be expelled since the Civil War.
1990 – Xiamen Airlines Flight 8301 is hijacked and lands at Guangzhou, where it crashes into two other airliners on the ground, killing 132.
1992 – Military police storm the Carandiru Penitentiary in São Paulo, Brazil during a prison riot. The resulting massacre leaves 111 prisoners dead.
1996 – The Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments are signed by U.S. President Bill Clinton
2002 – The Beltway sniper attacks begin in Washington, D.C., extending over three weeks and killing 10 people.
2004 – The first parkrun, then known as the Bushy Park Time Trial, takes place in Bushy Park, London.
2018 – Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi is assassinated in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
2019 – A privately-owned Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress conducting a living history exhibition flight crashes shortly after takeoff from Windsor Locks, Connecticut, killing seven.

Word of the Day:
panache \ pə-ˈnash , -ˈnäsh\ noun

1 : an ornamental tuft (as of feathers) especially on a helmet

“The palace guard had a panache on his helmet.”
2 : dash or flamboyance in style and action; verve

“flashed his … smile and waved with the panache of a big-city mayor” — Joe Morgenstern

Quote of the Day:
“When the world is running down, you make the best of what’s still around.”
- Sting

Today Is:
Country Inn Bed and Breakfast Day
Change a Light Day
Guardian Angels Day
International Africa Diaspora Day
International Blessing of the Fishing Fleet Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2022, 08:53 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,577,715 times
Today’s Questions
Today is National Name Your Car Day. Have you ever named a car, and if so what name(s) did you choose and why?I've used the same name for several of my cars when they have problems but I can't repeat it here. lol

Name at least one thing that’s popular today which you find annoying. Politics

Where is the worst place you’ve been stuck for a long time? My last job. 26 years. lol

What are some things you are good at? Being nice to people. Helping out if I can

Best and worst gifts you’ve ever received? Worst was a battery operated drill that I don't think would drill through a Kleenex. But my sons gave it to me so I acted like I worked with it. One of the best is a trip to Gatlinburg, Tn. and the Smoky Mountains by my step kids, for our anniversary/Christmas

It’s October, and Halloween is coming. Do you like horror movies? If so, which ones are your favorites? I like the old black and white horror movies. Not a fan of all the blood and guts in these today

If you opened a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve? Just plain old food. Burgers, fries, sandwiches off the grill

Old 10-01-2022, 09:01 PM

126,311 posts, read 19,099,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, October 2, 2022. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people born on this date include comedian Groucho Marx, Indian activist and philosopher Mahatma Gandhi, poet Wallace Stevens; photographer Annie Leibovitz, fashion designer Donna Karan, singer-songwriters Sting, Tiffany Darwish and Brittany Howard and TV personality Kelly Ripa.

Today’s Questions
Today is National Name Your Car Day. Have you ever named a car, and if so what name(s) did you choose and why?...
.......Lola ...just so

Name at least one thing that’s popular today which you find annoying.............Texting and reading on your cellphone while walking or crossing the street

Where is the worst place you’ve been stuck for a long time?...............I got recently stuck in an elevator for a few hours....sigh

What are some things you are good at?..............Drawing/painting on a canvas,singing,yodeling and playing the Zither

Best and worst gifts you’ve ever received?...............I love homemade gifts

It’s October, and Halloween is coming. Do you like horror movies? If so, which ones are your favorites?................No I do not like horror movies

If you opened a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve?.........Bavarian and Punjabi cuisine

Today in History:
829 – Theophilos succeeds his father, Michael II, as Byzantine Emperor.
939 – Battle of Andernach: Otto I, Holy Roman Emperor, crushes a rebellion against his rule, by a coalition of Eberhard of Franconia and other Frankish dukes.
1263 – The Battle of Largs is fought between Norwegians and Scots.
1470 – The Earl of Warwick's rebellion forces King Edward IV of England to flee to the Netherlands, restoring Henry VI to the throne.
1552 – Russo-Kazan Wars: Russian troops enter Kazan.
1780 – American Revolutionary War: John André, a British Army officer, is hanged as a spy by the Continental Army.
1789 – The United States Bill of Rights is sent to the various States for ratification.
1835 – Texas Revolution: Mexican troops attempt to disarm the people of Gonzales but encounter stiff resistance from a hastily assembled militia.
1864 – American Civil War: Confederates defeat a Union attack on Saltville, Virginia. A massacre of wounded Union prisoners ensues.
1870 – By plebiscite, the citizens of the Papal States accept annexation by the Kingdom of Italy.
1928 – The "Prelature of the Holy Cross and the Work of God," commonly known as Opus Dei, is founded.
1937 – Rafael Trujillo orders the execution of Haitians living in the border region of the Dominican Republic.
1942 – World War II: Ocean Liner RMS Queen Mary accidentally rams and sinks HMS Curacoa, killing over 300 crewmen aboard Curacoa.

1944 – World War II: German troops end the Warsaw Uprising.
1958 – Guinea declares its independence from France.
1967 – Thurgood Marshall is sworn in as the first African-American justice of the United States Supreme Court.
1968 – Mexican President Gustavo Díaz Ordaz orders soldiers to suppress a demonstration of unarmed students, ten days before the start of the 1968 Summer Olympics.
1970 – An aircraft carrying the Wichita State University football team, administrators, and supporters crashes in Colorado, killing 31 people.
1971 – South Vietnamese President Nguyen Van Thieu is re-elected in a one-man election.
1980 – Michael Myers becomes the first member of either chamber of Congress to be expelled since the Civil War.
1990 – Xiamen Airlines Flight 8301 is hijacked and lands at Guangzhou, where it crashes into two other airliners on the ground, killing 132.
1992 – Military police storm the Carandiru Penitentiary in São Paulo, Brazil during a prison riot. The resulting massacre leaves 111 prisoners dead.
1996 – The Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments are signed by U.S. President Bill Clinton
2002 – The Beltway sniper attacks begin in Washington, D.C., extending over three weeks and killing 10 people.
2004 – The first parkrun, then known as the Bushy Park Time Trial, takes place in Bushy Park, London.
2018 – Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi is assassinated in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey.
2019 – A privately-owned Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress conducting a living history exhibition flight crashes shortly after takeoff from Windsor Locks, Connecticut, killing seven.

Word of the Day:
panache \ pə-ˈnash , -ˈnäsh\ noun

1 : an ornamental tuft (as of feathers) especially on a helmet

“The palace guard had a panache on his helmet.”
2 : dash or flamboyance in style and action; verve

“flashed his … smile and waved with the panache of a big-city mayor” — Joe Morgenstern

Quote of the Day:
“When the world is running down, you make the best of what’s still around.”
- Sting

Today Is:
Change a Light Day
Guardian Angels Day
International Africa Diaspora Day

Thank you Bayarea

Old 10-01-2022, 09:14 PM

426 posts, read 161,542 times
Today is National Name Your Car Day. Have you ever named a car, and if so what name(s) did you choose and why?
My parents have named their cars. I have never owned a car.

Autotune effects and other strange, obnoxious electronic noises in today's pop music.

Oklahoma.

I'm good at (academic) writing.

My best gifts have been instruments, but also more personal things. Worst? I don't know. I don't tend to think of gifts in such a light.

It’s October, and Halloween is coming. Do you like horror movies? If so, which ones are your favorites?
No. I can not stand horror.

Pizza.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:23 PM

11,387 posts, read 9,306,180 times
Today’s Questions

Today is National Name Your Car Day. Have you ever named a car, and if so what name(s) did you choose and why? - Never did.

Name at least one thing that’s popular today which you find annoying. - Tattoos. I don't get the ripped jeans thing either and think overall this time era's fashion is crap.

Where is the worst place you’ve been stuck for a long time? - Traffic, countless times, unfortunately.

What are some things you are good at? - Taking care of business.

Best and worst gifts you’ve ever received? - The best was a Honda Accord given to me by a very well off financially friend. It's given me 4 good years of service so far.

It’s October, and Halloween is coming. Do you like horror movies? If so, which ones are your favorites? - No interest.

If you opened a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve? - It wouldn't go over well but healthy food I eat or would be interested in eating more often. I'll play along, a sample would be Lentil and black bean burgers, a large variety of salads, and hummus sandwiches with vegetable toppings on top quality whole grain non-commercial bread.

Thanks, Bay!

Old 10-02-2022, 12:02 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,620,423 times
Today’s Questions
------- A la the old 40s films "Calling all cars, be on the lookout for a blue late-model sedan", we once named our car "Blue late model sedan".

--

------
--- Name one popular thing thay's NOT annoying.

------ 20 hour layover at Guam airport

What are some things you are good at
------Anger management

Best gift
-----From DFIL, Panasonic RF -2200 Shortwave radio, launched me on wonderful DX hobby.

Worst gift
------ Almost everything -- I don't loke surprisses
.l
------ Nope. Diddn't like horrror comics, either

------ Mexican, in Zamboanga, Philippines. The whole city and its language is descended from Mexican colonists, but there's not a frijole or tortilla in sight.

Today in History:

Old 10-02-2022, 12:52 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,074,974 times
Today’s Questions
Never done that.

Name at least one thing that’s popular today which you find annoying. People who feel they must answer their cell phone when they get a call/text regardless of what they are doing at the time.

Where is the worst place you’ve been stuck for a long time? Any party (not good at chit chat).

What are some things you are good at? Procrastinating, sarcasm (you didn't say they had to be nice things ), planning, analysis, report writing. I like bird photography but I'm just an average enthusiast/hobbyist.

Best and worst gifts you’ve ever received? Best: An English racer bicycle when I was a kid. Worst: jewelry - I don't wear it.

It’s October, and Halloween is coming. Do you like horror movies? If so, which ones are your favorites? YES! Last week, I saw Psycho, again. I haven't seen it since I was a kid. Didn't remember that the woman stabbed in the shower was a thief. Invasion of The Body Snatchers (the original one from the 1950s with Kevin McCarthy. Didn't like the remakes). The Mothman Prophecies.The Barrens (an underrated scary movie with the best ending ever). The Omen (original only with Gregory Peck) and Omen 2 (with William Holden) are favorites as are 4 of the Final Destination movies, The Sentinel (the one from 1977 that takes place in a NYC apartment building not the one with Michael Douglas that wasn't a horror movie), the original The Wicker Man (it's British - 1973 - the one with Edward Woodward as the lead not the one with Nicholas Cage which was an awful remake), The Devil's Advocate, The Grudge, Orphan, The Dark Secret of Harvest Home (which is labeled as a mini series but was only a two-nighter in 1978 - the book was good, too), The Good Son. Jaws is one of my favorite movies but I don't think of it as a horror movie even though it's classified that way.

If you opened a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve? Would never open a restaurant but if I did, it would be Italian food.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:49 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,403,009 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions
Today is National Name Your Car Day. Have you ever named a car, and if so what name(s) did you choose and why? I don't name my cars but for some reason other people like to name my cars! My friend's little girl named my current car "Snowflake"--it is a white sparkly car. Last car was "Pistachio"--green VW bug--someone else named it.

Name at least one thing that’s popular today which you find annoying. People having ear pods in all the time.

Where is the worst place you’ve been stuck for a long time? Many years ago, still memorable: Baltimore Beltway on a very rainy afternoon with a migraine.

What are some things you are good at? My job, cooking, sewing, travel

If you opened a restaurant, what kind of food would you serve? Baltic cuisine

Today in History:

Thanks for the history lesson Bay!

^I remember that well. That was a very scary time.

Today Is:
Change a Light Day
Guardian Angels Day
International Africa Diaspora Day Had to look that one up

Old 10-02-2022, 03:00 AM

14,816 posts, read 8,145,319 times
Today’s Questions
Never did that.
People texting and never taking their eyes off of their phones for 5 seconds.
The Elevator at the Marriott Hotel in Indianapolis Aug 1976, Parties that I didn't want to go to.
Procrastination, Sleeping

It’s October, and Halloween is coming. Do you like horror movies? I do!

If so, which ones are your favorites?
The Others, The Omen, The Sentinel, Psycho, Halloween, Alien, Let the Right One In, Let me In, The Shinning, Salem's Lot, Rosemary's Baby, A Quiet Place, The Six Sense,What lies beneath and most of Hitchcock's films.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:06 AM

3,156 posts, read 1,033,787 times
Good morning.

Have you ever named a car, and if so what name(s) did you choose and why?
Never.
Cell phone addiction, music, fashion.
In a hospital here in the US. My doctor said that I can go home the next day but...they kept me there for days just because I had a great insurance. My husband ended up threatening them. He said he'll come with the police to get me home. He made a circus there and finally, I could come home.
I'm a good listener, also good at making things with my hands.
A dog = best. Worst I don't know.
Do you like horror movies? If so, which ones are your favorites?
No.
Soups, salads and smoothies.

Thanks Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics