Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times

Advertisements

Good morning, my pretties! Happy Day to all of you.

Well, it's November 2, so in honor of November, I'd like to ask the following questions:

1. What is a memory of "falling back" (time wise) that you can share?

2. Have the fall colors peaked in your area? When is the peak?

3. What decorations do you put out for Thanksgiving, if any?

4. Tell us about the weather where you live.

5. When do you start decorating for Christmas?

6. What are your holiday plans?

7. Stuffing or separate dressing? Or no dressing? Describe your dressing or stuffing.

8. What are your differences, if any, between the meals at Christmas and at Thanksgiving?

9. Do you have any Halloween candy laying around and if so, what are your plans for it?

That's it for today - Happy Hump Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times
1. What is a memory of "falling back" (time wise) that you can share? One year, I was an hour early for church. But only one year.

2. Have the fall colors peaked in your area? When is the peak? Fall colors have not peaked here yet, though the leaves have begun turning. Usually, fall colors around here peak around Thanksgiving or a week before.

3. What decorations do you put out for Thanksgiving, if any? I decorate for fall by putting pumpkins around everywhere. On my dining room table, I put some figurines of Pilgrims and Indians.

4. Tell us about the weather where you live. This week the highs are in the upper 70s and the lows are in the mid 50s. A cold front comes in on Friday, accompanied by storms and rain.

5. When do you start decorating for Christmas? The weekend after Thanksgiving.

6. What are your holiday plans? Going to spend Thanksgiving with my son in Austin and then Christmas with my aunts and uncle in Louisiana.

7. Stuffing or separate dressing? Or no dressing? Describe your dressing or stuffing. Separate dressing and it's cornbread dressing. It's delicious!

8. What are your differences, if any, between the meals at Christmas and at Thanksgiving? I usually serve turkey at Thanksgiving and ham at Christmas. Otherwise they are similar meals.

9. Do you have any Halloween candy laying around and if so, what are your plans for it? I plan to take mine to work - they should make short work of it!

Old 11-02-2022, 07:26 AM

126,401 posts, read 19,156,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Well, it's November 2, so in honor of November, I'd like to ask the following questions:

1. What is a memory of "falling back" (time wise) that you can share? Nothing comes in mind

2. Have the fall colors peaked in your area? When is the peak? Yes the leaves were/are magnificent and there are still a few areas were they are yellow

3. What decorations do you put out for Thanksgiving, if any? We had Canadian Thanksgiving in October and I just have a fall flower bouquet on my dining table

4. Tell us about the weather where you live. Lovely weather this week,crisp air with frost in the early morning,then warming up to almost 20 C

5. When do you start decorating for Christmas? In the Advent season I put out the handmade wreath and some other decorations

6. What are your holiday plans? I will host Christmas Eve and Christmas day and we will be 3 generations in the house

7. Stuffing or separate dressing? Or no dressing? Describe your dressing or stuffing. I stuff my turkey,hens,ducks or goose with either apples or oranges,onions, curly parsley,butter,salt black pepper and they bathe in a beer or red wine broth

8. What are your differences, if any, between the meals at Christmas and at Thanksgiving? I usually make turkey with cranberry chutney and for Christmas Day Cornish game hens with cranberry chutney or curried apricot/pear/peach dish

9. Do you have any Halloween candy laying around and if so, what are your plans for it? I never bought any Halloween candies

Thank you Kathryn

Old 11-02-2022, 07:26 AM

1,407 posts, read 635,366 times

Good morning one and all

1. What is a memory of "falling back" (time wise) that you can share? Amost missing a flight

2. Have the fall colors peaked in your area? When is the peak? In the Catskill's higher elevation most of the tress are bare, in the lower elevations last weekend was beautiful. Also last weekend we got our first snow dusting the wife went crazy taking pictures like if she's never seen a bit of snow before

3. What decorations do you put out for Thanksgiving, if any? A lighted Fall wreath on the front door.

4. Tell us about the weather where you live. It's getting cold in the PM and early AM, but goes up in the lower/mid 60's in the afternoon.

5. When do you start decorating for Christmas? Around first week of Dec.

6. What are your holiday plans? Spain a week or 2 before X-mas to visit friends and relatives, then spend the Holidays in the mountains

7. Stuffing or separate dressing? Or no dressing? Describe your dressing or stuffing. I found a made from scratch dressing recipe and will add figs to it.

8. What are your differences, if any, between the meals at Christmas and at Thanksgiving? This T'giving we will try something different and make macaroni with gouda cheese. After so decades of turkey we want to try new horizons and lessen the mess. The Holiday meal will be the traditional Caribbean fare of my childhood, that never goes out style for me.

9. Do you have any Halloween candy laying around and if so, what are your plans for it? Nope. Thankfully we were cleaned out

Same to everyone else. And THX

Old 11-02-2022, 07:53 AM

14,878 posts, read 8,201,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

Still some colors, but many of the leafs have already fallen -usually peaks in October
Only have one or two decorations for Thanksgiving.
Bi-polar
a couple weeks before Christmas, we put up very minimal decorations any more.(Wreath,small tree, centerpiece and a few figurines, and a snow village)

When my Son was little we would decorate a lot, and start the day after Thanksgiving or the first week of December.

Home with family (my favorite plan of all!)
7. Stuffing or separate dressing? Or no dressing? Describe your dressing or stuffing.
Homemade Dressing that we stuff the turkey with
8. What are your differences, if any, between the meals at Christmas and at Thanksgiving?
We have a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner and then for Christmas Eve, we have the same meal,
for Christmas Day we have a Prime Rib dinner.

9. Do you have any Halloween candy laying around and if so, what are your plans for it?
Oh yeah, do we have some left over! My plan is to try not to eat it, and find someone to palm it off on.
I might see if Son or husband will take it to work and share it there.

Thanks!

Old 11-02-2022, 07:54 AM

35,388 posts, read 17,285,338 times

2. Have the fall colors peaked in your area? When is the peak? Just about peaking now. Usually around November 1. In 2011 we had a major, wet snowstorm that took down a lot of fully-leafed trees. A bigger storm, on November 7, 2012 was not nearly as bad, very few trees down.

3. What decorations do you put out for Thanksgiving, if any? None

4. Tell us about the weather where you live. Sunny and unseasonably warm today.

5. When do you start decorating for Christmas? I don't; I'm Jewish

6. What are your holiday plans? Travel to Vermont for family Thanksgiving dinner

7. Stuffing or separate dressing? Or no dressing? Describe your dressing or stuffing. Stuffing and gravy

8. What are your differences, if any, between the meals at Christmas and at Thanksgiving? Well, potato latkes and jelly donuts for Chanukah, a minor Jewish holiday around the same time.

9. Do you have any Halloween candy laying around and if so, what are your plans for it? This year we don't have any. Normally we'd snack on it and/or give it to office.

That's it for today - Happy Hump Day! Thanks for starting thread.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:01 AM

37,820 posts, read 41,136,907 times

1. What is a memory of "falling back" (time wise) that you can share? Don't really have any.

2. Have the fall colors peaked in your area? When is the peak? Worst Fall ever. This is usually peak week (week of Halloween) but we have had some wind and rain. The leaves are mostly on the ground.

3. What decorations do you put out for Thanksgiving, if any? None.

4. Tell us about the weather where you live. Right now, 9:22A, it's 56 degrees and dark and cloudy. It's supposed to get up to 73 and be partially sunny. The temperature is typical for this time of year.

5. When do you start decorating for Christmas? I don't.

6. What are your holiday plans? I always go out on Thanksgiving with my camera but I stay local. Try not to drive on holidays.

7. Stuffing or separate dressing? Or no dressing? Describe your dressing or stuffing. Don't make any these days.

8. What are your differences, if any, between the meals at Christmas and at Thanksgiving? On Christmas, I actually cook something. Italian, usually. I live alone, my sister is in Texas and I'm not a fan of leftovers. It doesn't pay for me to cook a turkey. I hate ham and never eat seafood of any kind. If I want turkey there is a Honey Baked Ham in town that will make the turkey and the fixings and you just have to pick it up. But honestly, turkey always played second fiddle to Italian food when I was a kid and the relatives got together at my aunt's house in New Jersey. It came out after the Italian meal and it was mostly eaten as sandwiches at night. If we didn't go anywhere on Thanksgiving, my mother made a typical turkey meal.

9. Do you have any Halloween candy laying around and if so, what are your plans for it? No trick or treaters and didn't even see any. The same was true when I lived in Maryland. I would say from 1995 through this year (28 years), I have had 2 trick or treaters in total between 3 apartments in the two states. I don't get it. I used to think, living on the second floor in an apartment complex was the reason. You take your little kids to all of the ground floor apartments and you don't have to walk up and down stairs with them all day. There are 9 buildings here. You don't even have to go out of the complex with them but I have been living in a ground floor apartment since 2013 and only had 1 trick or treater since then. So, I don't buy candy. Halloween was a much bigger deal when I lived in NY.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times

1. What is a memory of "falling back" (time wise) that you can share? I have no interesting stories, we have always remembered and turned back the clock the night before.

2. Have the fall colors peaked in your area? When is the peak? Probably in another two weeks, since this morning we finally fell below 40F (36F). Many of the maples have turned color, but the apple trees are still green, Alders, Aspens and Cottonwoods are just starting to turn.

3. What decorations do you put out for Thanksgiving, if any? My wife will put out a special table runner, that's about it.

4. Tell us about the weather where you live. We get 66" of rain, between late September and July 5th usually. Summer is normally delightful, not hotter than 85, and cooling off at night. In winter we may get 2"-12" of snow 1-3 times a year, and 1-2 severe wind storms that cause power outages of 2-8 hours.

5. When do you start decorating for Christmas? The weekend after Thanksgiving. My motto is "One holiday at a time."

6. What are your holiday plans? Same as usual, the extended family (12-14) at our house, I do all of the cooking, and end up exhausted.

7. Stuffing or separate dressing? Or no dressing? Describe your dressing or stuffing. No stuffing or dressing, though sometimes a relative might bring some, I still won't eat it.

8. What are your differences, if any, between the meals at Christmas and at Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is turkey and all the usual fixings. Christmas is different every year, we discuss and name a theme at Thanksgiving. For example, Fried, BBQ, southern, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, Comfort Food, or all casseroles.

9. Do you have any Halloween candy laying around and if so, what are your plans for it? Yes, we had a small turnout with Amazon and Microsoft now hosting parties for kids at their offices. I would say about 3 bags left, and those will be eaten in time by my wife and daughter. I have to watch my sugar intake.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:20 AM

11,411 posts, read 9,336,533 times
1. What is a memory of "falling back" (time wise) that you can share? - Nothing special. Unlike many others it doesn't bother me. I think next year is the last...

2. Have the fall colors peaked in your area? When is the peak? - IDK

3. What decorations do you put out for Thanksgiving, if any? - N/A

4. Tell us about the weather where you live. - Right now unusually warm through Monday. Saturday it's supposed to be sunny and 75 degrees!

5. When do you start decorating for Christmas? - Never have, never will. I do not celebrate.

6. What are your holiday plans? - No plans, per usual.

7. Stuffing or separate dressing? Or no dressing? Describe your dressing or stuffing. - It's been about 10 years since I last had a traditional Thanksgiving. This year will be no different. IDK how to answer this question.

8. What are your differences, if any, between the meals at Christmas and at Thanksgiving? - I'll be cooking for one like usual. It will be nothing special.

9. Do you have any Halloween candy laying around and if so, what are your plans for it? - I do not bring that into my apartment. I currently have no junk food whatsoever.

That's it for today - Happy Hump Day! - Thanks, Kathryn! You as well.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:11 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,841,653 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;64383498]Good morning, my pretties! Happy Day to all of you.

Getting up and hour early on day shift and realizing that I'm too early for work.
Yes. They usually peak the week before Halloween but there's still some nice color out there.
There are fall leaf garlands on the kitchen cabinets that have been up since September and will come down after Thanksgiving. A friend just gave me a box of the coolest vintage cardboard Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations. I'll put them up some place safe. They're really valuable.
Abnormally warm in the 70's.
December 1st.
It depends on Covid. We may have Thanksgiving at our Hindu friends restaurant. They usually spend the night on Christmas Eve and New Years Eve, but I think the little one might not believe in Santa any more by Christmas. She's 10 now.
Dressing separate. I put an onion stuffed with cloves in the turkey and a cut up orange. It makes the best gravy and the turkey is moist and delicious.
We usually do sea food on Christmas Eve but I don't think we will find any crab around. There's a shortage now.

Yes, and I'm eating it now.

Thanks K.A. The great Halloween take down continues. The porch comes down today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics