Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 07:18 AM

7,387 posts, read 5,501,736 times

Advertisements

This Thursday is a day of thanksgiving here in the USA. Let's dive into . . .

Today's Question(s):
Is there anything you can always count on happening at family get togethers? My nephews girlfriend will probably get drunk. Other than that we will have a good time and play card games.

Do you remember what sorts of stories your parents or grandparents told? Yes

If you were hosting others at your home, what dishes/drinks/gifts would you hope they might bring? Side dishes and booze.

Have you been on your own for any holidays or worked through them? Yes

Foodie Question(s):
What did/will you have for your main meal this Thursday? Turkey

Have you ever had Thanksgiving or other holiday dinners at a restaurant instead of at home? Easter

Inquiring minds want to know: if you eat pomegranates, do you chew the seeds or spit them out? I don’t remember, I haven’t ate a pomegranate in a long, long time.

Here's hoping no matter where we live we all have a lot to be grateful for.

Image made freely available by monicore on pixabay.com.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 08:15 AM

5,608 posts, read 6,540,333 times

Today's Question(s):
Is there anything you can always count on happening at family get togethers? I no longer have family get-togethers as all except an out of town child are deceased. When I did they were always pleasant.

Do you remember what sorts of stories your parents or grandparents told? I was late in life so missed out on Grandparents and family experiences of everyone else, but remember hearing about a few unusual happenings.

If you were hosting others at your home, what dishes/drinks/gifts would you hope they might bring? IIRC, everyone brought a different item so we knew we had all the traditional Thanksgiving items.

Have you been on your own for any holidays or worked through them? Yes. Once my child was older I worked to let others with younger children take the holiday time to be with them.

Foodie Question(s):
What did/will you have for your main meal this Thursday? Going out with a friend and her husband to a popular local cafeteria style restaurant for a traditional Thanksgiving meal. We will have a scaled down version tomorrow at their home of items prepared at home strictly to have left-overs.

Have you ever had Thanksgiving or other holiday dinners at a restaurant instead of at home? Doing so today for the first time. But have had take-out Thanksgiving Dinner at others' homes in the past.

Inquiring minds want to know: if you eat pomegranates, do you chew the seeds or spit them out? I don't eat the fruit off the tree but have had it in jams or jellies or pie on occasion.

Here's hoping no matter where we live we all have a lot to be grateful for. I do, yes I do!

Old 11-24-2022, 08:23 AM

61,924 posts, read 87,533,958 times

Today's Question(s):
Is there anything you can always count on happening at family get togethers?

Love and happy times.

Do you remember what sorts of stories your parents or grandparents told?

Yes, I do. Life stories.

If you were hosting others at your home, what dishes/drinks/gifts would you hope they might bring?

When I host - I provide, but bottle of a good liquor is always appreciated. Bonus if homemade.

Have you been on your own for any holidays or worked through them?

Many times. It doesn't bother me.

Foodie Question(s):
What did/will you have for your main meal this Thursday?

No Thanksgiving where i live now. Having a regular meal.

Have you ever had Thanksgiving or other holiday dinners at a restaurant instead of at home?

Yes, I had. I have small family. Not worth to cook for two or three. A restaurant holiday meal gives a bigger and better selection.

Inquiring minds want to know: if you eat pomegranates, do you chew the seeds or spit them out?

I eat them. Pomegranate seeds are safe to eat and are a good source of many vitamins and nutrients.

Thank you, bjh!! And happy Thanksgiving to you all!!

Old 11-24-2022, 10:27 AM

24,532 posts, read 26,085,445 times

Today's Question(s):
Lots of back and forth talking even thou all of us only live a few miles from each other.

No

If you were hosting others at your home, what dishes/drinks/gifts would you hope they might bring?
Themselves, but I suspect there will be pie. cheesecake and deviled eggs.

I did miss a few when I was working in PR.

Foodie Question(s):
The main attraction for me will be turkey, mashed taters, styffing and gravy.

Have you ever had Thanksgiving or other holiday dinners at a restaurant instead of at home?
Tjought about it. but it always got nixed.

Inquiring minds want to know: if you eat pomegranates, do you chew the seeds or spit them out?
Eat them. miss my neighbors tree.

Thanx bjhHave a wonderful day CD'ers and don' eat too much.

Old 11-24-2022, 10:31 AM

19,726 posts, read 10,513,985 times
prime rib
Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2022, 12:24 PM

6,906 posts, read 4,924,585 times
We are a peaceful lot; nothing happens.
No one ever told stories on Thanksgiving.

I'd be happy if someone brought something they actually made instead of picked up by at the store.

Being alone on a holiday is no big deal to me. That said I am about to head off to a friend's. I just have to get the ham out of rhe oven.

Old 11-24-2022, 08:34 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,627,292 times
Today's Question(s):
----- no.

----- just the standards.Stories that didn't involve cars ad radios

------ whatever they want

------- usuually worked through them. Often travelling. Never miss them

Foodie Question(s):
- daily routine

----- A few timess. McDs

----- spit, and seet them out for birds

Old 11-25-2022, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
Thank you, bjh!

Is there anything you can always count on happening at family get togethers? Someone is going to be very, very late for Thanksgiving dinner.

Do you remember what sorts of stories your parents or grandparents told? Yes, mostly stories about other family members over the years - LOL. My granddad always talked about the movie industry, which he was very involved in. My grandmother often talked about her parents and brothers.

If you were hosting others at your home, what dishes/drinks/gifts would you hope they might bring? I would always hope that someone else brings pumpkin and pecan pie.

Have you been on your own for any holidays or worked through them? I used to work through holidays regularly because of the holiday pay. Yay! I was on my own one Thanksgiving and I did volunteer work.

Foodie Question(s):
What did/will you have for your main meal this Thursday? My main meal was actually Wednesday night with my son and his girlfriend and her dad. We went out to a fabulous steakhouse in Austin. I drove home from Austin yesterday (it's about 3.5 hours from me - Texas is a big state) and spent Thanksgiving afternoon with some good friends. We had a feast of all the traditional stuff - turkey, ham, two types of dressing, gravy, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, green beans, three types of salad, pecan pie, buttermilk pie, fudge, dip, etc. It was delicious!

Have you ever had Thanksgiving or other holiday dinners at a restaurant instead of at home? Often and I actually really like it.

Inquiring minds want to know: if you eat pomegranates, do you chew the seeds or spit them out? I chew them and swallow them.

Old 11-25-2022, 07:56 AM

27,387 posts, read 27,433,530 times
On any family get togethers, theres always a lot of hugs, smiles and compassion for those going through tough times.
Holidays are just another day for me and Ive done solo a few times in my life. No big deal. Binge watching a show or series, eating whatever takeout was open, peace and quiet otherwise.
What did i eat....I cant even remember what I ate last night!
Have a great day everyone~~~

Old 11-26-2022, 02:56 AM

14,824 posts, read 8,160,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Question(s):
Good food and good times usually
About their family and their youth, WWII, The Depression....fun stuff like that!
Just themselves.
Not alone,but I have worked through some.
Foodie Question(s):
Just the traditional Thanksgiving fare...Turkey and all the fixin's.
Once only...it wasn't the same.
Eat them I think....been so long since I had one, don't recall really....don't remember spitting any seeds out.

Indeed....there is always something to be thankful for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics