Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2023, 06:13 AM

177 posts, read 152,758 times

Advertisements

One could argue there's Reddit, but I'm looking for a forum like City Data. The ones I found are kind of dead. I'm assuming most people are on Reddit? I like to post a thread and have it be up on the front page for a few days, which doesn't happen on Reddit unless it's heavily upvoted. Also, it seems on here you don't have to reply to people as quickly as on Reddit without being afraid they won't reply back. I'm looking for any type of forum, as long as it's not dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 08:46 AM

5,917 posts, read 3,812,982 times
There is no other site like City-Data. It does seem like there would be some type of notification when someone quotes you and replies. It's a little annoying but at some point I think it will be an option. Sometimes you just can't get back to a conversation so it would be nice to know when someone replies to your post.

You haven't participated very much since 2016 so give it another try.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:59 PM

61,965 posts, read 87,612,175 times
Not really a problem. Just go to your profile page, click on Statistics folder, then on Find all posts by "you" and check if anyone replied to your posts.
Unless you post a LOT, checking on those few you post daily is not a chore.
That's what I do.

Back to OP - Google it. Wikipedia has a long list of Internet forums incl. stats.

You might like Quora or Medium.

Last edited by elnina; 01-21-2023 at 08:10 PM..

Old 01-21-2023, 09:35 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,632,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not really a problem. Just go to your profile page, click on Statistics folder, then on Find all posts by "you" and check if anyone replied to your posts.
Unless you post a LOT, checking on those few you post daily is not a chore.
That's what I do.

Back to OP - Google it. Wikipedia has a long list of Internet forums incl. stats.

You might like Quora or Medium.
Its not that easy. Click your name on the Welcome when signed in. Then down to "Personal messages" At the right of that bar, click the down arrow to Expand, then choose "Statistics", then down to "Findd all posts by your name" Nothing created by a web designee is intuitive. Nothing.

As for Quora and Reddit, I've found it very daunting to try to find a thread again after leavig it. Or to browse current threads.

I used to be on Straight Dope, but they quickly ban anyone who is not a mindless and shrill neo-liberal, and are simply a Woke echo chamber.. In my old Communist draft-dodging peace-marching days, I never thought I'd ever be found too rught-wing.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:33 AM

61,965 posts, read 87,612,175 times
You can subscribe to topics on Quora. Then you will get even email notifications. That's how I get mine.
https://www.quora.com/Comments-Quora...ments-on-Quora
Pretty much the same with Reddit.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:25 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,941,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Its not that easy. Click your name on the Welcome when signed in. Then down to "Personal messages" At the right of that bar, click the down arrow to Expand, then choose "Statistics", then down to "Findd all posts by your name" Nothing created by a web designee is intuitive. Nothing.

As for Quora and Reddit, I've found it very daunting to try to find a thread again after leavig it. Or to browse current threads.

I used to be on Straight Dope, but they quickly ban anyone who is not a mindless and shrill neo-liberal, and are simply a Woke echo chamber.. In my old Communist draft-dodging peace-marching days, I never thought I'd ever be found too rught-wing.
Hmm... I think it's that easy. Elnina's instructions (post #5) are easy! At least it's how I've been doing it for years.

Old 01-22-2023, 08:52 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,632,216 times
I mis-spoke. You go to "Visitor messages", not "Personal". What she described doesn't work on my display. You have to guess where to click and click and click to get to "Find posts. If your eyes require Zoom, you'll never get it at all without first un-zooming to smaller text size.. In Zoom, Statistics folder is not accessible.

However, if you have one of your posts already displayed, what elnina described will work, clicking your name upper-lleft, then "Find all"" without any guess-work non-intuitive folder-hunting...

Last edited by arr430; 01-22-2023 at 09:01 PM..

Old 01-23-2023, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,715 posts, read 81,578,903 times
The other forums that I belong to (and moderate) are related to more specific interests, such as woodworking, bonsai, and classic cars. I have never seen another that was as comprehensive as CD, with something for everyone.

Old 01-26-2023, 10:59 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,352,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The other forums that I belong to (and moderate) are related to more specific interests, such as woodworking, bonsai, and classic cars. I have never seen another that was as comprehensive as CD, with something for everyone.
I agree, this is one of only two websites where I spend time, Twitter being the other one.
City data is just outstanding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics