Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 08:55 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times

Advertisements

Questions for Monday, February 6, 2023

1. Are you a banger? When closing a door or cupboard or fridge, do you hold the handle until it seats, or give it a push and let inertia take care of it?

2. Can you whistle? Loud? In tune?

3. Have you ever conversed with a hermit?

4. Did you ever give money to a stranger, besides a few coins?

5. With what cutting tool do you cut your toe-nails?

6. Do you eat any part of a main course with your fingers

7. About how many full-length movies have you seeen that were subtitled?

8. How dangerous would you say your neighborhood is?

9. Do you own a pair of gloves for any purpose except cold weather?

10. In winter, do you say "dress warm" or "dress warmly"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 09:49 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times

1. Are you a banger? When closing a door or cupboard or fridge, do you hold the handle until it seats, or give it a push and let inertia take care of it?

I close all of them quietly.

Tried, but can't. Won't do it anyway.

With several, here on City-Data

Yes, to some refugees from Ukraine.

I have manicure set that takes care of all my needs.
https://www.amazon.com/Swords-German..._thematic_sspa

Generally no, unless it's ethnic cuisine that is traditionally eaten with hands. Lots of South American, Asian or African dishes: Kota, samosa, tacos, wraps, curry dishes, injera and wat, waffles, chips or nuggets and dips, etc...

7. About how many full-length movies have you seen that were subtitled?

I watch a lot of foreign movies, and enjoy to read subtitles. I even watch English movies with subtitles, because many actors just mumble.

It's secluded with very few neighbors that know and look for each other.

Working gloves - like for gardening, cleaning, medical purposes. I also have gown gloves, but not use them anymore.

Dress warmly is the correct way.

Thank you, arr. Very entertaining

Old 02-05-2023, 10:08 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
[quote=arr430;64835101]

1. Are you a banger? When closing a door or cupboard or fridge,
do you hold the handle until it seats, or give it a push and let inertia take care of it?
First push is gentle... if it doesn't close, second push is vigorous.

2. Can you whistle? Loud? In tune? Yes / No / Yes

Since the pandemic began, I feel like I've become a hermit.
And I do talk to myself now and then. So, yes.

Probably a few times... not for quite a while.

A nail clipper.

6. Do you eat any part of a main course with your fingers?
Only if it's meant to be eaten that way, e.g. pizza, tacos, or Ethiopian food.

Can't remember, but not very many.

Overall, quite safe... except for the impatient drivers who don't stop at stop signs.

Waterproof ones for scrubbing.

Probably have used both expressions.

Last edited by NW4me; 02-05-2023 at 10:25 PM..

Old 02-05-2023, 10:50 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
most of close wuietly after a gentle push. The front screen door has a mind of its own.

can't whistle

don't think so

yup

a tie nail clipper

not usually

don't remember seeing any. Can't watch the movie and read the subtitle both.

pretty safe

yup. gardening, playing with yukky garbage, changing /scooping kitty litter.

usually I sat 'stay warm'. That about covers it.

thanks, arr

Old 02-05-2023, 10:52 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
1. Are you a banger? When closing a door or cupboard or fridge, do you hold the handle until it seats, or give it a push and let inertia take care of it? Gently close.

2. Can you whistle? Loud? In tune? No no & no.

3. Have you ever conversed with a hermit? Don't recall.

4. Did you ever give money to a stranger, besides a few coins? Have in the past.

5. With what cutting tool do you cut your toe-nails? Nail clippers.

6. Do you eat any part of a main course with your fingers. Chicken legs, tacos, certain ribs.

7. About how many full-length movies have you seeen that were subtitled? Zero, not a movie fan.

8. How dangerous would you say your neighborhood is? Minimum, maybe 3 or 4 incidents in the past 20 years.

9. Do you own a pair of gloves for any purpose except cold weather? Gardening.

10. In winter, do you say "dress warm" or "dress warmly"? Neither, it doesn't generally get that cold here. If it is cold we just say "grab a coat it's cold outside". It was 75F here today.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:01 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
***I usually close quietly. However, now and then the door gets away from me.

***Can barely whistle.

***Have not. If someone wants to be left alone, I leave them alone.

***Once. I was running out of gas while driving thru Atlanta, Georgia during rush hour. There was a lady sitting by the road. She wasn't actually trying to get money from people but was not turning down money handed out the car windows. I was in need of some good karma, so I decided to give her a dollar. Instead of grabbing a dollar, I grabbed a ten dollar bill. Decided to give it to her anyway. Right then traffic started moving fast. I was able to merge onto the highway without any problems. Made it to the airport without running out of gas. I got the full ten dollars of good karma.

***Have a nice scissor type clipper. Only once did I clip more than just the nail.

***Chicken.

7. About how many full-length movies have you seeen that were subtitled?
***Lots

*** Not very. Mostly retired people.

***Not. Anymore

***I say "You dress however you want. I am staying inside.".

Old 02-05-2023, 11:42 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
1. Are you a banger? When closing a door or cupboard or fridge, do you hold the handle until it seats, or give it a push and let inertia take care of it? - Quietly. I'm not an angry person...

2. Can you whistle? Loud? In tune? - I can but hardly ever and never in front of anyone.

3. Have you ever conversed with a hermit? - In some ways I am one. I spent the entire day yesterday not speaking to anyone.
Probable answer is never.

4. Did you ever give money to a stranger, besides a few coins? - I only remember once who lied to me. I'd go broke around here if I gave money to all that asked me. Not so much the neighborhood but the city...

5. With what cutting tool do you cut your toe-nails? - The horror. I get regular pedicures and manicures.

I have a special tools like they have at nail salons for both but hardly use them.

6. Do you eat any part of a main course with your fingers - Sometimes chicken wings and chicken breast although concerning the latter I almost always buy boneless. I also eat Mexican type food once in a while.

7. About how many full-length movies have you seen that were subtitled? - Zero.

8. How dangerous would you say your neighborhood is? - Tough question. This neighborhood is okay but not perfect. The city needs major improvement but it's not as bad as what one might think...

9. Do you own a pair of gloves for any purpose except cold weather? - Don't.

10. In winter, do you say "dress warm" or "dress warmly"? - Neither. I just do it.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Only let it bang shut if I have something in my hands.

2. Can you whistle? Loud? In tune? In the words of Lauren Bacall in To Have or Have Not, "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.” I can do that kind of whistling or at least I could. Haven't tried recently. The kind of whistling I can't do is when you put your fingers in your mouth and blow to get someone's attention/hail a cab.

3. Have you ever conversed with a hermit? Yes, as a matter of fact. Keith Hopwood and Karl Green from Herman's Hermits when I was 15 years old.

4. Did you ever give money to a stranger, besides a few coins? Not that I recall.

5. With what cutting tool do you cut your toe-nails? Podiatrist does it. Don't know the name of the tool used.

6. Do you eat any part of a main course with your fingers Yup. Ribs, chicken wings, hamburgers/hot dogs on a bun, barbecue on a bun, French fries, corn on the cob and if I ate seafood, I would eat clams without utensils.

7. About how many full-length movies have you seen that were subtitled? I'm pretty sure Night and Fog (award winning film about The Holocaust made in the 1950s) was entirely subtitled since it was made by the French. I have it on DVD but I'm too lazy to look. Does the whole movie have to be subtitled to count? Das Boot was subtitled. Saw that a long time ago. A few WWII movies are partially subtitled. The Godfather was partially subtitled in the scenes where Michael Corleone was hiding out in Italy and married an Italian girl. That was a long sequence in that movie. Pretty sure Tora! Tora! Tora! was subtitled, too. The Pianist was partially subtitled, too, if I remember correctly. I'm going to say, less than 10.

8. How dangerous would you say your neighborhood is? Not at all in my part of town.

9. Do you own a pair of gloves for any purpose except cold weather? I might have a pair of rubber gloves under the sink for cleaning, a box of "Covid gloves" from 2020 and a box of hair dye with gloves.

10. In winter, do you say "dress warm" or "dress warmly"? Warmly is grammatically correct but I don't usually say either because it has to be below 40 before I put on a coat. I just usually throw on a hoodie over a long sleeved shirt.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:42 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Good Morning

1. Are you a banger? When closing a door or cupboard or fridge, do you hold the handle until it seats, or give it a push and let inertia take care of it? Close it quietly

2. Can you whistle? In tune? Yes, yes

6. Do you eat any part of a main course with your fingers?

7. About how many full-length movies have you seeen that were subtitled? Many

8. How dangerous would you say your neighborhood is? Not dangerous. Quiet, quaint town.

9. Do you own a pair of gloves for any purpose except cold weather? Yes

10. In winter, do you say "dress warm" or "dress warmly"? Neither. "Make sure you are properly dressed for the weather."

Old 02-06-2023, 12:43 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times

It depends on the door. Some are self-closing and others will slam if you don't close them carefully. I try not to bang.
I can whistle, but not loudly and only somewhat in tune.
No, but I've always thought Peter Noone was really cute.
Yes, I have.
I use a nail clipper.
Only fried chicken, tacos or pizza, and only at home, not in public.
More than I can count. At home, I use the subtitle option even on movies in English because I am hard of hearing.
It's very safe.
Yes, I have rubber gloves for washing dishes and for gardening.
Warmly would be the correct usage.

Thanks, arr430!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics