Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 09:50 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,325 posts, read 30,547,760 times

Advertisements

Walter the pink plastic flamingo that (apparently) lives in my front yard came up with . . .

Today's Question(s):
If we stood in front of your home day and night, what might we see?

Where have you gone wading and do you remember anything about it?

Without falling over can you stand on one leg or do you ever do that as a balance exercise?

Have you collected shells, rocks, sand, etc. at a beach (lake and river beaches count in addition to ocean beaches)?

Foodie Question(s):
Tell us about any beach side meal, picnic, snacks you may have enjoyed:

Flamingos are pink because of the brine shrimp they eat. Do you like shrimp, and if so, how prepared?

Today's Picture:
Flamingos in flight in Yucatan, Mexico

Public domain photo on wikipedia.

*squawk, squawk, honk, squawk* That's 'flamingo' for, "Have a nice Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 10:11 PM

21,653 posts, read 8,808,886 times
Today's Question(s):
100-foot tall eucalyptus, pine and cypress trees and a trail leading into the park.
When we lived in Southern California my mother used to take us kids to a place in the foothills called Little Tujunga where there was a shallow creek I used to love to splash around in.
Without falling over can you stand on one leg or do you ever do that as a balance exercise?
I can do it for a few seconds, but my balance isn't as good as it used to be.
Have you collected shells, rocks, sand, etc. at a beach (lake and river beaches count in addition to ocean beaches)?
Yes, I have a couple of sand dollars from Ocean Beach in San Francisco and some sand, shells and rocks from Cannon Beach on the Oregon Coast.
Foodie Question(s):
When I was in college, some friends and I skipped school on a weekday and drove to the beach, where we had hibachi steak prepared by a Korean classmate. I really enjoyed that.
Flamingos are pink because of the brine shrimp they eat. Do you like shrimp, and if so, how prepared?
I like cocktail shrimp on ice with a dip.

Squawk, squawk, squawk! That means thank you for the questions, bjh and Walter.

Old 02-08-2023, 10:33 PM

12,802 posts, read 3,011,746 times
Today's Question(s):
Pick up trucks. This is Texas. Lol
I loved to wade when I was a kid.
Yes, easily.
I have shells from the Gulf of Mexico.
Foodie Question(s):
Seafood dinners and yummy ice cream cones.
I like shrimp any way you cook it.

Thank you, bjh!

Old 02-08-2023, 10:56 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,655,362 times

Today's Question(s):
----- Curtains twitched. Trash 7 am Monday.

----- Through hip-deep water to get to a national park in Bolivia

------ No prob. I do it upon request

Have you collected shells, rocks, sand, etc. at a beach (lake and river beaches count in addition to ocean beaches)
----- Maybe, but then got tired of carrying it?

Foodie Question(s):
----- Bought a lobster at a Nova Scotia store. boiled it on a beach.

----- So-so. They make me turn pink. I like crawfish better.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:25 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,029,414 times
Today's Question(s):
***Houses. Lots of tall trees. Amazon delivery vans. If I am home you would see the Jeep.

Where have you gone wading and do you remember anything about it
***I vaguely remember wading into a shallow pond

***Me trying to stand on one leg would not end well for me.

***Not into collecting.

Foodie Question(s):
***Have cooked many freshly caught trout.

***Shrimp is right up there with stinky cheese and cheap beer. The only way I won't eat it is if it is raw. The best way is grilled.

Old 02-09-2023, 12:14 AM

44,710 posts, read 61,920,721 times
Today's Question(s):
If we stood in front of your home day and night, what might we see? Native desert landscaping, houses across the street with some trees, a lamp post. Occasionally a car or truck drives by.

Where have you gone wading and do you remember anything about it? Haven't gone wading since I was a teen at the beach.

Without falling over can you stand on one leg or do you ever do that as a balance exercise? Not anymore.

Have you collected shells, rocks, sand, etc. at a beach (lake and river beaches count in addition to ocean beaches)? Sea shells as a kid.

Foodie Question(s):
Tell us about any beach side meal, picnic, snacks you may have enjoyed: Hamburger, hot dog or a pb&j samwich.

Flamingos are pink because of the brine shrimp they eat. Do you like shrimp, and if so, how prepared? Allergic to shrimp and other fishy things. Even their smell makes me upchuck.

bjh

Old 02-09-2023, 01:02 AM

7,996 posts, read 5,429,956 times
Good Morning

If we stood in front of your home day and night, what might we see? That winter is upon us. I do have a few evergreen bushes. Everything else is brown. If you came Summer you would see lots of lovely flowers and a beautiful green tree.

Without falling over can you stand on one leg or do you ever do that as a balance exercise? I practice that everyday. I can only do it for a few seconds.

Have you collected shells, rocks, sand, etc. at a beach (lake and river beaches count in addition to ocean beaches)? When I was little I did.

Foodie Question(s):
Tell us about any beach side meal, picnic, snacks you may have enjoyed: I had some free time while my son was working when I was visiting him in Los Angeles. I bought some tacos from a local small business and took them with me to Hermosa Beach. Lovely weather, lovely scenery, lovely sounds from the Ocean.

Flamingos are pink because of the brine shrimp they eat. Do you like shrimp, and if so, how prepared? Steamed shrimp, Shrimp creole, shrimp salad.

Thursday! Have a lovely day!

Old 02-09-2023, 04:34 AM

37,828 posts, read 41,163,799 times
Walter the pink plastic flamingo that (apparently) lives in my front yard came up with . . .

Today's Question(s):
Since there is an apartment complex parking lot in front of my building plus a lawn and sidewalks, anything is possible but you would definitely see people leaving for work and coming home, trees, people walking their dogs, UPS, FedEx and USPS trucks and their delivery men, maintenance men on their golf carts, landscapers who start mowing at 8:00AM , moving trucks, birds and retirees like me coming and going throughout the day. My building is not near the trash compactor, the mailboxes, the two entrances from the road or the car vacuum and car wash space/small building so you wouldn't see those and while you can see the rental office building and pool from my building, it is the side of that building so no coming and going is visible there except the outside door to the workout room that I think people only use (that door) when the office is closed. You can also see the tops of the Tennessee and American flags from the front of my building that belong to the office building behind my complex and at night you can see the moon when it's high in the sky because of the direction I face.

Where have you gone wading and do you remember anything about it? I lived on Long Island. Plenty of beaches. I only remember when I stepped on a nail in the water when I was at day camp and had to get a tetanus shot.

Without falling over can you stand on one leg or do you ever do that as a balance exercise? Have a hard time standing on 2 legs. If the police ever pull me over for driving erratically, I'm going to have to demand a breathalyzer test. No walking a straight line for me without holding onto something.

Have you collected shells, rocks, sand, etc. at a beach (lake and river beaches count in addition to ocean beaches)? Maybe when I was a little kid.

Foodie Question(s):
Honestly, none of the food we ate at the beach is memorable probably because we went to the beach so much.

Flamingos are pink because of the brine shrimp they eat. Do you like shrimp, and if so, how prepared? Don't eat anything that comes out of the water.

Today's Picture:
How do they flap their pink plastic wings? I don't remember ever seeing a real flamingo, even when visiting Florida.

Old 02-09-2023, 05:13 AM

1,417 posts, read 643,143 times

Good morning

Today's Question(s):
If we stood in front of your home day and night, what might we see? Trees

Without falling over can you stand on one leg or do you ever do that as a balance exercise? As a matter of fact started balance exercises yesterday.

Have you collected shells, rocks, sand, etc. at a beach (lake and river beaches count in addition to ocean beaches)? Coral that has washed ashore, sea glass back when soda bottles were dumped in the ocean before the recycling thing; rocks that look like marble, etc.

Foodie Question(s):
Tell us about any beach side meal, picnic, snacks you may have enjoyed: I do not enjoy eating outside. Bugs makes it all unpleasant for me.

Flamingos are pink because of the brine shrimp they eat. Do you like shrimp, and if so, how prepared? I love shrimp every which way as long as it's clean of it's shell and head. I give the tail a pass.

Today's Picture:

Public domain photo on wikipedia.

Beautiful picture.

*squawk, squawk, honk, squawk* That's 'flamingo' for, "Have a nice Thursday!

THX, you and everyone too.

Regards to Walter, does he have a significant other?

Old 02-09-2023, 05:25 AM

9,779 posts, read 14,347,783 times
Today's Question(s):
If we stood in front of your home day and night, what might we see? Do you mean looking 'at my home' or 'away from my home' ?????
Looking 'at my home' you'd see mounds and mounds of pink petunias, the size of shrubs...usually 6 months out of the year. Looking 'away from my home' there are very large maple and weeping willow trees.

Where have you gone wading and do you remember anything about it? Yes, I often waded in the Atlantic Ocean, which I live close to. I remember those good times.

Without falling over can you stand on one leg or do you ever do that as a balance exercise? Yes. But I'm better with the left leg, than the right leg.

Have you collected shells, rocks, sand, etc. at a beach (lake and river beaches count in addition to ocean beaches)? Yes, only along the ocean. As a kid, our family often camped along the Atlantic Ocean and lived in our rag-tag tent for a couple of days at a time. There were no rules, no regulations, no fees, and we could stay as many days as we wanted.

Foodie Question(s):
Tell us about any beach side meal, picnic, snacks you may have enjoyed: While camping along the Atlantic Ocean, my father taught me how to start a fire with sticks, how to catch ocean flounder, and how to clean and fry it over a bonfire.

I like them steamed, and with cocktail sauce. Sometimes, I like them steamed and with Old Bay Seasoning, as long as there's not too much Old Bay (salty).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics