Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 10:50 PM

6,864 posts, read 4,860,189 times

Advertisements

Do you have any plans for Labor Day?

Have you ever seen a bayou?

Do you have a favorite brand/flavor of toothpaste?

Have you ever eaten any weird meat such as armadillo?

Which would make a better president - a cat or a dog?

Do you wear sunscreen?

Pluot or Aprium?

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by putting up questions. I didn't see any volunteers under Mutt's post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 11:08 PM

12,246 posts, read 2,964,782 times
This Sunday is Bayarea4's day to post.

Old 09-02-2023, 11:28 PM

21,540 posts, read 8,722,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
This Sunday is Bayarea4's day to post.

Yes, is. E-Twist beat me to it, though. That's perfectly OK with me as I have been dealing with a personal crisis. My 83-year-old husband is ill and needs a lot of care. We don't have children or other immediate family, so I've been doing everything on my own. After being on 24-7 nurse duty since last Sunday, I'm exhausted and have been unable to focus on anything other than caregiving.

Next week I should be getting a break (home nurse visits, a caregiver), so there's light at the end of the tunnel. I had prepared a quickie a QOTD with a Labor Day theme, a short version reusing modified questions I'd asked before because I was too stressed to think of anything original, but I was too busy to post it at the usual time.

Here are my answers:

Labor Day will be a quiet day at home taking care of Mr. Bay.

I don't think I've ever seen a bayou, but I love Linda Ronstadt's version of "Blue Bayou"

My favorite brand of toothpaste is Sensodyne Pronamel.

The weirdest meat I've ever eaten is escargot.

I think a cat would make a better president, but dogs would be more likely to be elected because they are affectionate and friendly.

I should wear sunscreen more often than I do, but I don't go out much these days so it probably doesn't make much difference.

Aprium? I don't know what that is. Some type of hybrid fruit? I'm not sure if I've ever had a pluot, either.

You certainly didn't step on my toes, E-Twist. On the contrary, I want to thank you for helping me out at a really busy time. You rock!

Old 09-03-2023, 12:15 AM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Do you have any plans for Labor Day? None. Maybe watch some TV.

Have you ever seen a bayou? Yes, in Australia.

Do you have a favorite brand/flavor of toothpaste? Crest or Colgate, whichever is on sale.

Have you ever eaten any weird meat such as armadillo? No.

Which would make a better president - a cat or a dog? Dog.

Do you wear sunscreen? Rarely.

Pluot or Aprium? Either one.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:19 AM

21,540 posts, read 8,722,464 times
I'm sure some of you were absolutely heartbroken not to find today's notable birthdays and today in history for September 3. So out of the goodness of my heart (and because I hate to see my work go to waste) here you go:

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are automaker Ferdinand Porsche, actors Alan Ladd and Charlie Sheen; musicians Memphis Slim, Hank Thompson, Al Jardine and Jason McCaslin; author Marguerite Higgins, actresses Anne Jackson, Eileen Brennan and Valerie Perrine, and Olympic snowboarder Shaun White.

Today in History:
1189 – Richard I of England (a.k.a. “Richard the Lionhearted") is crowned at Westminster.
1658 – The death of Oliver Cromwell; Richard Cromwell becomes Lord Protector of England.
1666 – The Royal Exchange burns down in the Great Fire of London.
1777 – American Revolutionary War: During the Battle of Cooch's Bridge, the Flag of the United States is flown in battle for the first time.
1783 – American Revolutionary War: The war ends with the signing of the Treaty of Paris by the United States and the Kingdom of Great Britain.
1838 – Future abolitionist Frederick Douglass escapes from slavery.
1843 – King Otto of Greece is forced to grant a constitution following an uprising in Athens.
1855 – American Indian Wars: In Nebraska, 700 soldiers under United States General William S. Harney avenge the Grattan massacre by attacking a Sioux village and killing 100 men, women and children.
1861 – American Civil War: Confederate General Leonidas Polk invades neutral Kentucky, prompting the state legislature to ask for Union assistance.
1875 – The first official game of polo is played in Argentina after being introduced by British ranchers.
1879 – Siege of the British Residency in Kabul: British envoy Sir Louis Cavagnari and 72 men of the Guides are massacred by Afghan troops while defending the British Residency in Kabul. Their heroism and loyalty became famous and revered throughout the British Empire.
1895 – John Brallier becomes the first openly paid professional American football player, when he receives $10 to play for the Latrobe Athletic Association in a 12–0 win over the Jeanette Athletic Association.
1914 – World War I: Start of the Battle of Grand Couronné, a German assault against French positions on high ground near the city of Nancy.
1933 – Yevgeniy Abalakov is the first man to reach the highest point in the Soviet Union, Communism Peak (now called Ismoil Somoni Peak and situated in Tajikistan)
1935 – Sir Malcolm Campbell reaches a speed of 304.331 miles per hour on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, becoming the first person to drive an automobile over 300 mph.
1939 – World War II: France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia declare war on Germany after the invasion of Poland, forming the Allied nations. The Viceroy of India also declares war, but without consulting the provincial legislatures.
1939 – World War II: The United Kingdom and France begin a naval blockade of Germany that lasts until the end of the war. This also marks the beginning of the Battle of the Atlantic.
1941 – The Holocaust: Karl Fritzsch, deputy camp commandant of the Auschwitz concentration camp, experiments with the use of Zyklon B in the gassing of Soviet POWs.
the Armistice of Cassibile, although it is not announced for another five days.
1944 – Holocaust: Diarist Anne Frank and her family are placed on the last transport train from the Westerbork transit camp to the Auschwitz concentration camp, arriving three days later.
1945 – A three-day celebration begins in China following the Victory over Japan Day on September 2.
1950 – "Nino" Farina becomes the first Formula One Drivers' champion after winning the 1950 Italian Grand Prix.
1954 – The People's Liberation Army begins shelling the Republic of China-controlled islands of Quemoy, starting the First Taiwan Strait Crisis.
1967 – Dagen H in Sweden: Traffic changes from driving on the left to driving on the right overnight.
1971 – Qatar becomes an independent state.
1976 – Viking program: The American Viking 2 spacecraft lands at Utopia Planitia on Mars.
1981 – The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, an international bill of rights for women, is instituted by the United Nations.
2001 – In Belfast, Protestant loyalists begin a picket of Holy Cross, a Catholic primary school for girls.
2016 – The U.S. and China, together responsible for 40% of the world's carbon emissions, both formally ratify the Paris global climate agreement.
2017 – North Korea conducts its sixth and most powerful nuclear test.

Old 09-03-2023, 01:01 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Yes, is. E-Twist beat me to it, though. That's perfectly OK with me as I have been dealing with a personal crisis. My 83-year-old husband is ill and needs a lot of care. We don't have children or other immediate family, so I've been doing everything on my own. After being on 24-7 nurse duty since last Sunday, I'm exhausted and have been unable to focus on anything other than caregiving.

Next week I should be getting a break (home nurse visits, a caregiver), so there's light at the end of the tunnel. I had prepared a quickie a QOTD with a Labor Day theme, a short version reusing modified questions I'd asked before because I was too stressed to think of anything original, but I was too busy to post it at the usual time.

Here are my answers:

Labor Day will be a quiet day at home taking care of Mr. Bay.

I don't think I've ever seen a bayou, but I love Linda Ronstadt's version of "Blue Bayou"

My favorite brand of toothpaste is Sensodyne Pronamel.

The weirdest meat I've ever eaten is escargot.

I think a cat would make a better president, but dogs would be more likely to be elected because they are affectionate and friendly.

I should wear sunscreen more often than I do, but I don't go out much these days so it probably doesn't make much difference.

Aprium? I don't know what that is. Some type of hybrid fruit? I'm not sure if I've ever had a pluot, either.

You certainly didn't step on my toes, E-Twist. On the contrary, I want to thank you for helping me out at a really busy time. You rock!
Post your questions since you took the time to prepare them.
I gladly reply to both

Wishing your husband speedy recovery!

Old 09-03-2023, 01:05 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
No.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

Do you wear sunscreen?
No.

Pluot or Aprium?
Yes.

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by putting up questions. I didn't see any volunteers under Mutt's post
No.

Just wanted to see what it was like to answer the questions with yes or no, rather than elaborate. It's boring.

Thanks E-Twist

Old 09-03-2023, 01:26 AM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times

No Labor Day where I live now.

Yes, in Texas and Louisiana.

Minty...

Lots of weird meats! I prefer those, because it's very flavorful. All kinds of exotic meats PLUS game, snakes, frogs, live scallops , squid, octopus, aligator, eel, horse, rabbit, hare, raw meats, offal, fried ants, bee larvae, pigs feet, chicken feet, pork tendon, pigeons, bone marrow, and more...

A dog. Cats care only about themselves.

Do you wear sunscreen?

No.

Pluot or Aprium?

Both fruits are very tasty. Both are cross between plums and apricots. Pluots are more available in US stores.

I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by putting up questions. I didn't see any volunteers under Mutt's post.

Great Q !

Old 09-03-2023, 02:44 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
No special plans. We'll just relax here.

Quote:
No, I haven't. Like BayArea4, I love Linda Ronstadt's "Blue Bayou."

Quote:
I am an adventurous eater and have eaten FUGU, Japanese puffer fish, which can be deadly if not prepared by an expert. Fortunately, I ate it in Hiroshima, Japan, at a restaurant which specializes in FUGU.

Quote:
A cat, of course. They are born leaders and are accustomed to having a staff at their beck and meow.

Quote:
Pluot or Aprium?
According to the following chart, I'm more likely to prefer a pluot, because I love plums.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:26 AM

11,368 posts, read 9,280,838 times
Quote:
That will be next weekend, Saturday & Sunday and every other weekend after.

This weekend belongs to PegE & Bayarea4.

If you want one or both days for next week and hopefully beyond please post on Alaskan Mutt's new thread and let us know. We will be happy if you helped out!

I never saw a bayou.

No Labor Day plans.

Sunscreen is not necessary for me but I would use it if needed.

I'm very close to a vegetarian, about 85 - 90% of my diet. I gave up red meat long ago.

Please consider taking one or both of those openings starting next weekend, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics