Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 08:55 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times

Advertisements

Hello QOTDers!

THE QUESTIONS

1) Without doing research, as of June 2023 (cut-off), can you guess who has the top selling album of all time? (Hint: It’s a Greatest Hits album and it’s not The Beatles, Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson.)

2) Would you like to see a cashless society? Why or why not?

3) Pick any one country that isn’t your country and tell us the name of 3 – 5 famous people dead or alive from that country. There’s one catch. The 3 – 5 people you pick must come from 3 - 5 different categories. (Example categories but feel free to pick your own: sports, music, authors, science, journalism, inventors, acting, art, crime, politics, royalty, religion, explorers, medicine, heads of state, dancers, etc.)

4) For whatever country you picked in the previous question about 3 – 5 famous people, tell us a specialty food dish the country is known for that you would like to try if you went there. (Could be an entrée, a dessert, a side dish, a snack, anything but it must be food not drink).

5) Think of yourself as an individual or team sports spectator not as a participant. What would you change in any sport (or sports) to make it more interesting for you, personally? Use your imagination. Doesn’t have to be realistic.

QUESTION TO PONDER

Do you think blind people see in their dreams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 09:16 PM

21,560 posts, read 8,739,775 times
THE QUESTIONS

1) Without doing research, as of June 2023 (cut-off), can you guess who has the top selling album of all time? (Hint: It’s a Greatest Hits album and it’s not The Beatles, Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson.)
I don't know. Taylor Swift? Willie Nelson?

No, because cash is more convenient for small transactions. Not everyone uses apps like Zelle to transfer money. Some people would find it difficult, such as the elderly and those with poor vision. Also, not everyone has a smart phone. I wish they would eliminate pennies, though.

3) Pick any one country that isn’t your country and tell us the name of 3 – 5 famous people dead or alive from that country. There’s one catch. The 3 – 5 people you pick must come from 3 - 5 different categories. (Example categories but feel free to pick your own: sports, music, authors, science, journalism, inventors, acting, art, crime, politics, royalty, religion, explorers, medicine, heads of state, dancers, etc.)

France:
1. Charles de Gaulle - politician
2. Georges Bizet - composer
3. Marc Chagall - artist
4. Natalie Dessay - singer
5. Catherine Deneuve - actress

4) For whatever country you picked in the previous question about 3 – 5 famous people, tell us a specialty food dish the country is known for that you would like to try if you went there. (Could be an entrée, a dessert, a side dish, a snack, anything but it must be food not drink).
I would love to have a freshly-baked croissant from a boulangerie.

5) Think of yourself as an individual or team sports spectator not as a participant. What would you change in any sport (or sports) to make it more interesting for you, personally? Use your imagination. Doesn’t have to be realistic.
I am not much of a sports fan, so I can't think of anything.

QUESTION TO PONDER

Do you think blind people see in their dreams?[/quote]
No, because their brains lack the capacity for vision. I imagine that a blind person's dreams would be about sound, touch, taste, smell and other non-visual sensations that they experience while awake.

Thanks, LauraC!

Old 09-17-2023, 09:21 PM
bjh

60,110 posts, read 30,428,674 times
THE QUESTIONS

Is it Mariah Carey? She may have the number one, all time Christmas song.

No. There are so many things that don't lend themselves to credit or digital money, but most of all, a cashless society is easily controlled, hacked and taken over by a central power. Cash = freedom.

1. James Joyce
2. Dervla Kerwin
3. Enya
4. Eamon de Valera
5. Brian O'Driscoll

Soda bread? *shrug*

Tennis in the snow? Driving rain might be more interesting.

QUESTION TO PONDER

Probably depends on whether they were sighted before or have limited sight, but are considered legally blind.

That was work! What grade do I get, Teach? B-?

Old 09-17-2023, 10:14 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,604,932 times
Babs?

Ugh. I dunno. Financial transactions are fraught no matter what (IMO)

UKRAINIANS
1. Volodymyr Zelenskyy - president
2. Taras Shevchenko - beloved poet with a ton of places named after him
3. Mila Kunis - spunky actress
4. Sergei Prokofiev - conductor
5. Igor Sikorskyi - all about flight. The U.S. Embassy in Ukraine is on a street named for him

Most people know about beet borsch but Ukrainians also have a green borsch made with sorrel instead of beets. I’d try a cup of it - not a whole bowl.

For ball sports I’d like the balls to be orange so it’s easier to follow

QUESTION TO PONDER

In their own way, yes.

I need a nap! Thank you Laura!
Posting Guide

Old 09-18-2023, 12:11 AM

11,378 posts, read 9,296,826 times
THE QUESTIONS

Just a guess:

Spoiler
The Eagles?

2) Would you like to see a cashless society? Why or why not? - No, not for it. I imagine it would be more difficult for poor people.

England and picking music, sports, politics:

1. - Mick Jagger
2. - Keith Richards
3. - Robert Plant
4. - Ryan Moore (famous British jockey)
5. - Winston Churchill

4) For whatever country you picked in the previous question about 3 – 5 famous people, tell us a specialty food dish the country is known for that you would like to try if you went there. (Could be an entrée, a dessert, a side dish, a snack, anything but it must be food not drink).m - Never been and don't know a whole lot about it. I heard fish and chips are a thing but it probably won't be my first choice.

5) Think of yourself as an individual or team sports spectator not as a participant. What would you change in any sport (or sports) to make it more interesting for you, personally? Use your imagination. Doesn’t have to be realistic. - Get rid of shootouts where applicable and call it a tie.

QUESTION TO PONDER

Do you think blind people see in their dreams? - No clue.

Thanks, Laura!

Old 09-18-2023, 12:23 AM

44,644 posts, read 61,677,004 times
THE QUESTIONS

1) Without doing research, as of June 2023 (cut-off), can you guess who has the top selling album of all time? (Hint: It’s a Greatest Hits album and it’s not The Beatles, Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson.) Hard to say since there are numerous categories of music these days and each one has their own GOAT, ( Greatest Of All Time). But if I had to guess I'd say Bing Crosby's "White Christmas".

2) Would you like to see a cashless society? No. Why or why not? I like the touch and feel of $$$ slipping through my fingers.

1. A. Einstein, science.
2. L. Beethoven, music.
3. V. Van Goh, painter.
4. O. Bismarck, Chancellor
5. S. Graff, tennis

4) For whatever country you picked in the previous question about 3 – 5 famous people, tell us a specialty food dish the country is known for that you would like to try if you went there. (Could be an entrée, a dessert, a side dish, a snack, anything but it must be food not drink). Beef Bourguignon.

Fluorescent footballs, baseballs, golf balls, easier to see.

QUESTION TO PONDER

Do you think blind people see in their dreams? Yes, especially if not born blind. Those born blind probably see dreams in black and white in different figurations.

Whew, heavy thinkers.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:25 AM

1,377 posts, read 617,740 times
Hello QOTDers!

THE QUESTIONS

### Taylor Swift

###

Spain

1. Rosalia - Singer
2. Diego Velazquez - Painter
3. Felipe Vl - King
4. Tomas de Torquemada - Notorious Grand Inquisitor
5. Angel Leon - 3 Star Michelin Chef, Environmentalist

### Chocolate con Churros

### I would do away with American football and change it to be more like Soccer.

QUESTION TO PONDER

THX for the QOTD, enjoy your MON everyone.

Old 09-18-2023, 05:42 AM

126,296 posts, read 19,080,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hello QOTDers!

THE QUESTIONS

1) Without doing research, as of June 2023 (cut-off), can you guess who has the top selling album of all time? (Hint: It’s a Greatest Hits album and it’s not The Beatles, Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson.)............

2) Would you like to see a cashless society?..............No
Why or why not?..................I prefer paying by cash,less temptation to spend extra money

INDIA

1.............Mahatma Gandhi was an Indian lawyer, politician, social activist and writer
2............Indira Gandhi was the first female Prime Minister of India
3............Sachin Tendulkar is a famous Indian cricket player
4..........Shah Rukh Khan was an Indian actor and film producer
5..........Mohammed Rafi was an Indian playback singer and musician

4) For whatever country you picked in the previous question about 3 – 5 famous people, tell us a specialty food dish the country is known for that you would like to try if you went there. (Could be an entrée, a dessert, a side dish, a snack, anything but it must be food not drink)....................Makki ki roti with saag ( corn rotis with creamed spinach) and bhindi raita (flavored spicy yogurt) served with lassi (1/2 yogurt/1/2 water drink) and for dessert kheer (rice pudding) or gajar ka halva (sweet carrot dish)
with a cup of masala chai

5) Think of yourself as an individual or team sports spectator not as a participant. What would you change in any sport (or sports) to make it more interesting for you, personally? Use your imagination. Doesn’t have to be realistic......................Smoke bombs and flares at football stadiums should not be allowed,more colorful jerseys and colorful designed balls

QUESTION TO PONDER

Do you think blind people see in their dreams?...............I believe so
Thank you Laura!

Old 09-18-2023, 06:07 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,396,797 times
Good Morning

THE QUESTIONS

2) Would you like to see a cashless society? Why or why not? No! I would no longer find pennies on the ground and be able to make a wishes! And--there would no longer be that joy when you reach into your Winter coat on the first cold day and find a $20 bill!

Canadians:
1. Sandra Oh -Actress
2. Justin Bieber -Singer
3. Dr John A Hopps -invented the Cardiac Pacemaker in 1950

Poutine
I have tried it, it is okay. Not a fan of cheese curds.

Sumo wrestling in the snow

QUESTION TO PONDER

Do you think blind people see in their dreams? If they have been blind since birth no. Otherwise--maybe.

Enjoy your day...

Old 09-18-2023, 06:10 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,073,157 times
THE QUESTIONS

1) Without doing research, as of June 2023 (cut-off), can you guess who has the top selling album of all time? (Hint: It’s a Greatest Hits album and it’s not The Beatles, Elvis Presley or Michael Jackson.)I’ll guess Dolly Parton

2) Would you like to see a cashless society? Why or why not? Certainly not. I want to be able to see and touch something tangible.

1. The Pope
2. Christopher Columbus
3. Sophia Loren
4. Mussolini
5. Michelangelo

4) For whatever country you picked in the previous question about 3 – 5 famous people, tell us a specialty food dish the country is known for that you would like to try if you went there. (Could be an entrée, a dessert, a side dish, a snack, anything but it must be food not drink). Chioppino

5) Think of yourself as an individual or team sports spectator not as a participant. What would you change in any sport (or sports) to make it more interesting for you, personally? Use your imagination. Doesn’t have to be realistic. Kids soccer games would only be played if it is 75 degrees and sunny.

QUESTION TO PONDER

Do you think blind people see in their dreams? I don’t see how they could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics