Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 10:00 PM

44,381 posts, read 20,099,777 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! Scroll on down to see what I came up with for

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

What species of birds frequent your yard or your neighborhood?

Do you own a bird feeder?

Do you own a bird bath?

Have you ever seen a hummingbird?

This month, migrating Sandhill Cranes are congregating by the thousands in a protected area about 40 minutes from my home. They are huge, magnificent birds with 7-foot wingspans. The local paper reported that a couple of days ago there were about 7,200 cranes in a field in the protected area. They expect the flock to number over 10,000 before the birds move on to their next resting spot during their migration. Have you ever seen a huge flock of birds (thousands)? If so, what species were they?

Did you ever own a parakeet, cockatoo, parrot or other bird?

Did you ever visit an aviary?

Have you ever heard a bird talk (English)?

Name a song with the word "bird" or a species of bird in its title.

Name a play or movie with "bird" or a species of bird in its title.

That's it for today's bird-brained questions! Have a terrific Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-13-2023, 10:39 PM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

What species of birds frequent your yard or your neighborhood? Pigeons, quail, ducks, owls.

Do you own a bird feeder? No.

Do you own a bird bath? No.

Have you ever seen a hummingbird? Many.

This month, migrating Sandhill Cranes are congregating by the thousands in a protected area about 40 minutes from my home. They are huge, magnificent birds with 7-foot wingspans. The local paper reported that a couple of days ago there were about 7,200 cranes in a field in the protected area. They expect the flock to number over 10,000 before the birds move on to their next resting spot during their migration. Have you ever seen a huge flock of birds (thousands)? If so, what species were they? Geese, and others that I have no idea what they were.

Did you ever own a parakeet, cockatoo, parrot or other bird? Pair-a-keets.

Did you ever visit an aviary? At a few botanical gardens.

Have you ever heard a bird talk (English)? Parrot's and a parakeat.

Name a song with the word "bird" or a species of bird in its title. Snowbird, Ann Murray.

Name a play or movie with "bird" or a species of bird in its title. Bye bye birdie.

That's it for today's bird-brained questions! Have a terrific Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2023, 11:00 PM

11,386 posts, read 9,304,429 times
Either IDK or no for the first part.

Big city here and not much in the way of nature. But in the general area, yes.

I don't know much about birds.

Movie - The Birds - Alfred Hitchcock

For the song I thought of:

Canary In A Coal Mine - The Police
Fly Like An Eagle - Steve Miller Band
Hummingbird - Seals And Crofts
Birdsong - Robin Trower
Bluebird - Robin Trower

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7mWFtd-3GI

Thanks, Pam!

Old 11-13-2023, 11:36 PM

61,901 posts, read 87,406,262 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

Cardinals, woodpeckers, sparrows, starlings, crackles, mockingbirds, kingbirds, doves, Vultures, hummingbirds, egrets, titmouse, warblers and dozens more.

Yes. A few.

Do you own a bird bath?

No. No still water to feed mosquitoes.

Almost all year around.

This month, migrating Sandhill Cranes are congregating by the thousands in a protected area about 40 minutes from my home. They are huge, magnificent birds with 7-foot wingspans. The local paper reported that a couple of days ago there were about 7,200 cranes in a field in the protected area. They expect the flock to number over 10,000 before the birds move on to their next resting spot during their migration. Have you ever seen a huge flock of birds (thousands)? If so, what species were they?

Yes, like in a Hitchcock movies.
Hitchcock! by elnina, on Flickr

A Canary bird when I was a child.

Yes, in Houston and Dallas.

While we expect that all humans speak English for our convenience, thankfully birds don't care what we want, and speak their own language.

Snowbird by Anne Murray

Black Swan, Magpie murders...

That's it for today's bird-brained questions! Have a terrific Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness.[/b]

Thank you, Pam!! Great topic!

Last edited by elnina; 11-14-2023 at 12:21 AM..

Old 11-13-2023, 11:59 PM

21,574 posts, read 8,749,478 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

I've seen more than a dozen different species including sparrows, finches, crows, robins, jays, doves, hawks, gulls, owls, woodpeckers and hummingbirds.
No, I don't. Our neighbors do.
Do you own a bird bath?
No, I don't. Our neighbors do.
Yes, many times.
I don't know how many there were, but I've seen flocks of birds on lakes or in the sky.
Yes, I've had four parakeets. They are the smallest species of parrot - did you know that? They were wonderful pets, and I miss them all.
Yes, I have.
Only in YouTube videos.
"Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen.
"Sweet Bird of Youth" (play by Tennessee Williams).

Chirp, cheep, squawk, twitter...I mean, Thank You, Pam!

Old 11-14-2023, 12:12 AM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,446,533 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!
Cardinals, blue jays, cedar waxwings occasionally, woodpeckers and at night a hoot owl!
Have in the past.
Do you own a bird bath?
Have in the past.
Yes. They're pretty cool to watch.
Have you ever seen a huge flock of birds (thousands)? If so, what species were they?
Maybe in the hundreds, geese mostly.
No. I've known friends who had parakeets or a parrot.
At the zoo, yeah.
A couple times.
Free As A Bird (Beatles)
Bye Bye, Birdie

Thanks, Pam.

Old 11-14-2023, 02:47 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,401,959 times
Good Morning

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

What species of birds frequent your yard or your neighborhood? Robins, Bluebirds, Cardinals

Do you own a bird bath?

This month, migrating Sandhill Cranes are congregating by the thousands in a protected area about 40 minutes from my home. They are huge, magnificent birds with 7-foot wingspans. The local paper reported that a couple of days ago there were about 7,200 cranes in a field in the protected area. They expect the flock to number over 10,000 before the birds move on to their next resting spot during their migration. Have you ever seen a huge flock of birds (thousands)? If so, what species were they? I have seen a large flock of birds--I don't know what breed they were.

Did you ever own a parakeet, cockatoo, parrot or other bird? We had a parakeet growing up.

Did you ever visit an aviary? I don't think so...

Have you ever heard a bird talk (English)? Yes, our parakeet could say a few sentences. My father would repeat the same sentence to the bird everyday. "Good Morning Patrick Kelly Green". One day I was home alone and the bird said it, no one believed me. It took a week and finally the parakeet spoke up while we were having dinner

Name a song with the word "bird" or a species of bird in its title. "Bluebird"-Paul McCartney--now I will have that song in my head all day!

Name a play or movie with "bird" or a species of bird in its title. Alfred Hitchcock, "The Birds" -a classic!

Happy Tuesday!

Old 11-14-2023, 04:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times

TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

What species of birds frequent your yard or your neighborhood? neighborhood: mockingbirds, blue birds, blue jays, house finches, towhees, American gold finches, robins, chickadees, titmice, cardinals, American crows, house sparrows, song sparrows, chipping sparrows, white throated sparrows, juncos, black vultures, turkey vultures, red shouldered hawks, Cooper's hawks, Canadian geese, catbirds, brown thrashers, mourning doves, mallards, great blue herons, green herons, kingfishers, red-bellied woodpeckers, downy and hairy woodpeckers, cormorants, cedar waxwings, red-winged blackbirds, common grackles, brown headed cowbirds, northern flickers, tree swallows, kildeer, yellow rumped warblers, sapsuckers, wrens, nuthatches, starlings, osprey, green herons and ring-billed gulls (due to arrive here in about 4 weeks) and more. These are only the birds I've seen in my neighborhood. Have heard owls but never saw them. Don't have a yard.

Do you own a bird feeder? not allowed in apartment complex

Do you own a bird bath? not allowed in apartment complex

Have you ever seen a hummingbird? yes but not in my neighborhood. See them 2 towns away.

This month, migrating Sandhill Cranes are congregating by the thousands in a protected area about 40 minutes from my home. They are huge, magnificent birds with 7-foot wingspans. The local paper reported that a couple of days ago there were about 7,200 cranes in a field in the protected area. They expect the flock to number over 10,000 before the birds move on to their next resting spot during their migration. Have you ever seen a huge flock of birds (thousands)? If so, what species were they? I saw one sandhill crane at my neighborhood lake and called Wildlife to ask what the bird was doing here. People go to Hiwassee Refuge in the eastern part of my state to see large numbers of sandhill cranes. I'm sure everyone has seen starlings in large numbers every year. When I go to Delaware I see Dunlin swarming in very large numbers.

Did you ever own a parakeet, cockatoo, parrot or other bird? No

Did you ever visit an aviary? Yes. The National Zoo in DC had an aviary and there was one in the Baltimore Aquarium but not sure if either are still there. Honestly, I don't like them. Too many free flying birds in too small of an indoor space.

Have you ever heard a bird talk (English)? Only some old lady's pet when I was a little kid. She used to bring him up to the roof in our NYC apartment building in his cage.

Name a song with the word "bird" or a species of bird in its title. This version is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g47_NI1CWNQ

Name a play or movie with "bird" or a species of bird in its title. I just watched The Birds for the 3rd time about 2 weeks ago.

Where Eagles Dare (Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton, good and exciting movie)

Last edited by LauraC; 11-14-2023 at 04:51 AM..

Old 11-14-2023, 05:48 AM

27,371 posts, read 27,421,823 times
We do not have a bird feeder or bird bath.
Hummingbirds, yes, from time to time we've seen them.
I do not care to own birds of any type....
Not a big fan of birds so have a great day everyone~~~

Old 11-14-2023, 06:01 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS!

What species of birds frequent your yard or your neighborhood? Red headed woodpecker, or Flicker, cardinals, tufted titmouse, lots of finches, hummingbirds, doves, occasional blue jays, robins.

Do you own a bird feeder? Yes, we keep 2 feeders for seeds and a hummingbird feeder in the summer.

Do you own a bird bath? Yes

Have you ever seen a hummingbird? We have them, March to October

Not sure what they were, but I’ve seen a few huge groups of birds….starlings, maybe?

Did you ever own a parakeet, cockatoo, parrot or other bird? No, but my grandmother had a parakeet, named Petey. It was sad when the family cat caught it.

Did you ever visit an aviary? Not sure, maybe at a zoo.

Have you ever heard a bird talk (English)? Yes

Name a song with the word "bird" or a species of bird in its title.Blackbird

Name a play or movie with "bird" or a species of bird in its title.The Birds

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics