Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 02:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

A Florida man died Tuesday after taking more than two dozen shots of cherry vodka within a half hour, according to the Hillsborough County Sheriff's office.

"We have witnesses that have described the victim as taking anywhere from 23 to 25 shots in 30 minutes," Hillsborough County Sheriff's spokesman J.D. Callaway told ABCNEWS.com.

ABC News: Man Dies After Taking 23 Shots in 30 Mins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:26 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
My question would be WHY?????? Such a senseless death.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
If I were that bartender, I'd feel awfully remorseful.
And I would have cut him off after 5 or 6 shots, or at least made him take a break.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,282 times
I've heard of this happening with 21-year-olds as a ridiculous rite of passage, but haven't heard of it happening with someone this age. What a waste.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Stupid people are all around us. You don't have to look far to find them...

I expect the bartender to charged for the complicity she played in the death.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:05 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
"...police say there is no legal limit to how much liquor a bar can serve a patron."

This guy was a bouncer who died. Unfortunate as it was, the bartender did cut him off but was not required. A judgment call by the bartender, who knows how well the deceased managed the first twenty drinks (I'm gone after a few but my buddy can triple my consumption without appearing a bit phased).

Ultimately, we must take responsibility for our own actions and the deceased, as unfortunate and unexpected as his death was, is something he must take responsibility. Blaming others for the deceased's alleged stupidity only gives such stupidity an excuse for others to repeat and blame on others.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Very unfortunate. It's amazing there are some people out there, who don't know that there is such a thing called "Alcohol Poisoning", and many people have died as a result of it. One such person was former AC/DC's lead singer Bon Scott.

I hope somebody learned a lesson from this guy's unfortunate and untimely demise.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:49 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
"...police say there is no legal limit to how much liquor a bar can serve a patron."

This guy was a bouncer who died. Unfortunate as it was, the bartender did cut him off but was not required. A judgment call by the bartender, who knows how well the deceased managed the first twenty drinks (I'm gone after a few but my buddy can triple my consumption without appearing a bit phased).

Ultimately, we must take responsibility for our own actions and the deceased, as unfortunate and unexpected as his death was, is something he must take responsibility. Blaming others for the deceased's alleged stupidity only gives such stupidity an excuse for others to repeat and blame on others.
There is here. If this happened in my city that bartender would end up in jail and the bar owner would lose their license.

Another reason to stay out of Florida.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:53 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
There is here. If this happened in my city that bartender would end up in jail and the bar owner would lose their license. Another reason to stay out of Florida.
On what grounds? Is there a law that clearly outlines the limitations and accounting each bartender and establishment must record for each patron that visits such an establishment in the Heartland?

Unless it exists, then each patron that visits each establishment must take ownership and responsibility of their actions, inebriated or not, when partaking in such a vice (albeit, and arguably, excessive in this case).
Else, without applying clear guidelines by law, the burden of interpreting such a standard becomes incredibly difficult for such establishments and those working for them.

As well, their standards for each individual may be such where 'cutting off' a patron based on interpretation may be deemed by the patron a violation of their rights resulting in a lawsuit by that patron.

I think determining the legal limitation without the backing of law creates an unfair and undue burden on the establishment and people that work for them. Unless a law clearly outlines the maximum number of ounces a patron is 'allowed' to drink in one establishment within a certain time frame based on generally acceptable proven medical levels of drink a person can manage before such risk of death occurs, placing blame on the establishment shucks personal responsibility.

Maybe we require each individual to submit an IQ test before partaking in alcohol related activities and require establishments to force every drinking to take a Breathalyzer test before leaving (unless they can prove they aren't driving).

Such events blamed on the establishment, as tragic as they are, only minimizes and insults the intelligence of those of us who do take personal responsibility and gives others another opportunity to take control over our responsible actions (in a nutshell, that's what being an adult is all about).

In this case, the responsibility of death falls squarely on the deceased and nothing more. If the deceased was apt to exceed lethal limits in a public forum, then there is good chance he would have the potential to exceed such limitation in their own or a friend's home.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Another reason to stay out of Florida.
I can think of a lot of reasons, but not this. How often do people drink like this?
IMHO the bartender screwed up, but liquor liability is a tricky thing; the guy, though obviously becoming intoxicated, was of lawful age.
Personal responsibility must always count for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics