Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,470,243 times

Advertisements

I went out bowling last night for a friend's BD party. She's a co-worker and a friend. There were a couple of other co-workers too, but I don't really know them as friends. All of their significant others were there too, except for mine, as I thought it was a girls-night out

Anyway, we were to bowl for an hour or two and then go to the adjacent bar. I don't go out much-maybe 1ce every 4 months, so when I do, naturally the make up comes on, the hair gets styled, and my going out clothes (tighter top and jeans than I would normally wear) are worn.

So three people were putting up everyone's names on the screen, and wanted nick names for everyone. Everyone had a nickname because they all know each other, except for me. Finally, one guy thought of "Barbie" and the other two loved it.

Mind you- I have shoulder length RED hair, I am 5'5 and about 127 so I do not have a skinny barbie doll figure, and I am not full chested.

Finally, I get it out of them that they thought of Barbie because my "...hair is perfect, my make up is perfect, my jewelry perfectly matches my clothes...like a doll".

Being a woman, I can read 50 things into something So of course then I feel like I was made up too much for bowling (I took into consideration I was going to the bar afterwards)- and I would post pictures but my friend didn't email them to me yet; ....or I started thinking that maybe I looked like one of those older women that are trying too hard to keep their youth- I am 35 but most of the girls were from 25-30...and I always hoped I wouldn't be like one of those ladies that try to hard.

So tell me, am I digging into something that was just supposed to basically mean something nice- like "you look nice"....Oh, I don't know. I just felt stupid last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 02:44 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,637,127 times
Guys are one dimensional. Generally, they are too preoccupied with beer, sex and sports to be devious about something like this.
If they called you a Barbie, you must have seemed like a Barbie to them. Barbie is practically perfect in every way, especially the anatomically correct ones.
If a woman called you a Barbie, that's when I would start to worry. (no offense to my femme peeps)

Old 07-19-2008, 02:47 PM

One of the other two that were agreeing was a woman...if that makes a difference

Old 07-19-2008, 03:12 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,478,656 times
Is there a Bowler Barbie? Guess it depends on which Barbie. I would be insulted, personally. I was helping my neighbor wash her big wooden porch chairs and she and another lady were calling me Cinderella. Didn't know what to make of that either.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Is there a Bowler Barbie? Guess it depends on which Barbie. I would be insulted, personally. I was helping my neighbor wash her big wooden porch chairs and she and another lady were calling me Cinderella. Didn't know what to make of that either.
So you were cleaning chairs that were not yours, and the person who owned them called you Cinderella- which is a woman who basically was a slave? I'd be a bit perturbed for being called Cinderella.

And no, there isn't a bowler Barbie that I know of...

Old 07-19-2008, 03:35 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,637,127 times
There was a bowler Barbie back in the early days with the advent of her Trailer Camp Collection. This is before she hooked up with spiffy Ken and was dating Ozark Red, that plaid clad barefoot feller who wore a rope belt.
PS: A grizzled skipper once nick named me Thumbelina in my naval days on the Spanish Main but I never pursued an explanation. I just assumed he took a shine to me but now I know better.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:31 AM

536 posts, read 1,105,403 times
ouch!! if it was people that you knew and were comfortable with i could understand some teasing and the nickname. i think "red" would of been the more obvious nick name. just remember you dress and act in a way to make yourself feel good and screw what everybody else thinks

Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 AM

3,087 posts, read 1,073,130 times
I wouldn't feel bad about being made up and looking good. Many people nowadays are too much the other way and look like they just got out of bed!

Old 07-20-2008, 11:02 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,529,731 times
Take it as a compliment!!!! Barbie is always wearing cute matching outfits...I am sure that is what was meant. Just take it as a compliment and enjoy!!!!!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:26 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,349,515 times
Unless you act like a plastic and have no nipples I would just let it go, being an older Barbie among younger ordinary women could be a good thing. Oh and if you think 5'5" and 125lbs is heavy you should move to the south...lol There are women here that are so huge that grocery store planning discusses footprint and not pounds when it comes to distance between isles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics