U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 06:04 PM

702 posts, read 2,176,158 times

Advertisements

If you could change anything about your life right now, what would it be? Would you be the same person, but living a totally different life? Would you want to be rich and famous? Where would you live? I'm talking about your own personal existence - not changing the entire world into some peaceful utopia. Let's say external factors (eg: government restrictions) don't affect your life and you are free to live exactly as you wish.

The only conditions are the scenario must be realistic to some degree (eg: no weekend time travel escapades or magically healing illness with the touch of your hand) and it must be on planet Earth right now.

Here's mine, roughly:

I'd be a potato farmer and homebrewer of craft beer, either somewhere in France or Japan with mild winters. I'd have a plot of land around 5 acres with a fresh water stream running through it to provide irrigation. My homestead would be self-sufficient (solar, wind & water power) and produce no waste. I would share the homestead with a partner who did his or her 50% to keep things going. No children. I would get around on bicycle or horseback, and my horse would be my best friend. A few cats to scare mice away from my food storage. There would be a lot of rabbits & squirrels around, but somehow they would not mess with my crops. I would subsist mainly on a barter system with area residents, but when I did need money I would sell my beer to local pubs and markets as well as design flawless websites because I would secretly be a technological genius. Despite there being a great diversity of people in my nearby village, everyone would be friendly and crime nonexistent. We would all help each other, without prejudice or expectations. I'd look pretty much the way I do now, but I would want a smaller nose and just slightly bigger boobs (not from surgery, just naturally born that way). Once a year I would take a one month trip to another part of the world and live as locals do, learn new things. I'd have a massive library of books which I would share & swap with others, and I would be multi-lingual. I would be healthy and strong until the day I died, which would be around age 60. One night I would just go to sleep peacefully and not wake up again, then I'd be cremated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics