U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 05:09 AM

17,833 posts, read 31,910,489 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
Happy Sunday
Ever have one of those "brain not quite awake " mornings well lol today was one of them. Guess I stayed up to late watching football
So I was very happy while doing my research for the "? 0' the day" and found that it is "weird contest week" and I thought about it and realized there are many types of contests out, so with endless choices how could I not use this as the inspiration for

Todays Question:

Do you enter contests?

Extra Credit Question:
What is the weirdest/ most unusual contest you have ever entered ?

Bonus Question:
Have you ever won anything in a contest ?

Today in history:
August 10,1846 The Smithsonian Institution was established in Washington, D.C., from funds left by British scientist James Smithson.
August 10, 1869 O. B. Brown patents moving picture projector
August 10, 1948 Candid Camera with Allen Funt debuted on television.
August 10,1987 - A Chorus Line celebrated its 5,000th performance.

Word of the day
:
exalt \ig-ZOLT\, verb:
1. To praise, glorify, or honor.
2. To heighten or intensify.

Today is:
National S'mores Day
and
National Lazy day
it is also
National Spoil Your Dog Day (this would be every day in our house)
this is also
Weird Contest Week (10 -15)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 06:37 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,272,480 times
Football? So soon??? I guess I'm more out of touch with society than I thought.

My daughter and husband think I could win a contest for being weird!

The craziest contest I've participated in was a daily call-in on a local radio station in the S.F. Bay Area. The host would provide the 1st, 2nd, and 5th lines of a limerick. The callers would provide the 3rd and 4th lines. Normally, I only listened, but one day I felt compelled to call in. I actually managed to get through, and I now have a Poetic License appropriate for framing after winning the day's event!

Tied for that was a competition at Universal Studios for audience participation in one of their stage shows. I was selected to be a vampire. After professional make-up, costume, and wig, even my mother and niece couldn't identify me on the stage!

After Ed McMahon stood me up year after year, I lost my enthusiasm for sweepstakes and raffles although I feel obligated to enter the local fundraising events. I don't particularly like contests because 1) I don't like drawing attention to myself, and 2) I have a very competitive/compulsive side. That's a dangerous combination! However, if a contest is completely in fun and calls for an exhibitionist, I am sometimes game.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,266,679 times
Yes, online and locally. No, I never win but I don't give up hope!

Old 08-10-2008, 06:52 AM

26,471 posts, read 26,246,282 times
Of course I enter contests. And Ive won and lost but it was all in fun. Radio station contests where I won a key (one of a hundred) to a new truck, which of course mine didnt fit. Concert tickets and free passes to shows, but thats about it.I gave up though with PCH but my grandparents won 2nd place prize with them years ago, which was still quite a significant amount.
Oh....lastly, I won 1st place in a pool tournament in high school, and I never really thought I was good at shooting pool.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:00 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,455,048 times
I enter various contest throughout the year. I haven't won anything in a long time, but you never know...

I hope you all have a wonderful, relaxing, and peaceful Sunday....

Old 08-10-2008, 07:03 AM

5,787 posts, read 13,312,523 times
I retired from entering contests after winning one for being a cute baby. Thought I'd quit while I was ahead.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:37 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,153,539 times
Good Sunday morning!

NOPE, NOPE, AND NOPE! That was easy!

National Spoil Your Dog Day (this would be every day in our house) and the same for my fur friends, Riley, Toby, and Daisy! All three mini dachshunds who rule this home. Daisy not shown due to shyness!!!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 08-10-2008 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-10-2008, 07:46 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,063,535 times
In the past have entered contests, never won anything tho'. If I had a puppy, it would be spoiled. Oh yes!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:49 AM

11,464 posts, read 18,592,530 times
I have entered contests, the only thing I've won was a bunch of house paint, then I had to paint the house

My Dad won some gold coins in a store contest, they stood him by a display and took his picture, everybody thought he had gotten caught stealing it was funny.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 AM

19,922 posts, read 10,631,447 times
What is the weirdest/ most unusual contest you have ever entered ?

As told before, I entered a content to be the next President of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. Here's the message for those of you who are REALLY bored

//www.city-data.com/forum/other-topics/348251-todays-question-saturday-6-07-08-a-post4021687.html?highlight=Ben+Jerry#post4021687

Bonus Question: Have you ever won anything in a contest?

Yes, that cheesy certificate mentioned in the message above. But I did keep it!

As it is National Lazy Day, I'd like to take this opportunity to ... nah, forget it, I'm too lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics