Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 AM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times

Advertisements

I don't do cold very well at my age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 12:15 PM

126,277 posts, read 19,048,524 times
I love the cold and lots of snow

Old 11-29-2016, 01:54 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
I don't tolerate the cold very well. Even the low 50's are too cold if the sun's not out or there's more than a very light breeze. The 50's can feel comfortable though when the sun is out and there's no breeze. Right now, it's in the low 50's and overcast, and I'm using the furnace because I'm cold.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:23 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I love the cold and lots of snow

Ditto this ^ . It can't be tool cold or too snowy for me. Granted, I don't like driving to and from work in hazardous conditions, but I love bitter cold weather and lots of snow in wintertime. We've been having unseasonably mild weather lately, and I'm anxious for the temp to drop below freezing and stay there for a while. If the temp stayed between zero and 20F from December 1 through February 28, I'd be a happy camper.

I'm okay with temps below zero as well. I simply bundle up more (wear two pairs of pants and layers on top as well) and carry an emergency kit in my car. I never let my car's gas tank get below 1/2 full during the winter months, in case I would get stranded somewhere and need to run the car for many hours to have heat.

The weather that chills me to the bone is when the temp is just above freezing and it's drizzly or sleety. That's the worst. Because of the dampness, I never seem to feel warm regardless of how warmly I dress and how many hot beverages I drink. Brrrrrrrr!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:26 PM

1,180 posts, read 778,147 times
I believe I have ICE in my veins, I tolerate cold so well.

Its "too cold" when I feel sting in my face, or my hands turn red/lose feeling and running them together doesnt warm them.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:27 PM

1,180 posts, read 778,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Ditto this ^ . It can't be tool cold or too snowy for me. Granted, I don't like driving to and from work in hazardous conditions, but I love bitter cold weather and lots of snow in wintertime. We've been having unseasonably mild weather lately, and I'm anxious for the temp to drop below freezing and stay there for a while. If the temp stayed between zero and 20F from December 1 through February 28, I'd be a happy camper.

I'm okay with temps below zero as well. I simply bundle up more (wear two pairs of pants and layers on top as well) and carry an emergency kit in my car. I never let my car's gas tank get below 1/2 full during the winter months, in case I would get stranded somewhere and need to run the car for many hours to have heat.

The weather that chills me to the bone is when the temp is just above freezing and it's drizzly or sleety. That's the worst. Because of the dampness, I never seem to feel warm regardless of how warmly I dress and how many hot beverages I drink. Brrrrrrrr!

I did very well in Indianapolis.

Maybe we have "We do well in the cold" in common!

But not the cold and wet...

Old 11-29-2016, 02:54 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
I have always liked the cold and snow. Gotta agree with PJ though; I do not care for the freezing rain, especially when I have to drive. Other than that, I'm good.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Natsku made a good point. There are days I've gone outside just to warm up, so I think this very old, poorly insulated home (the floors are really cold) makes a big difference, and moving around helps your circulation. However, I do not think I could tolerate the winter weather in Finland.
I can understand that. In general our residences are built without any insulation so that it often become colder insider than outside in our winters. Visitors are sometimes discombobulated by the idea of throwing open the doors and windows to warm up a cold house...but it makes sense on many, many cold days. Today, for example my apartment was freezing cold, but outside - despite a strong wind - it was warm. So, I went and had a sandwich down the street and left all the doors open, and when I came back the apt. was drier and much warmer.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM

894 posts, read 587,015 times
Although I was born and raised in New York, I don't like cold weather nor do I have much of a tolerance for it.

My family and most of the people they know are from the islands. So I'd hear this a lot "You're born here so you should be used to it."

That would irritate me tremendously because hey, just because you're used to it, doesn't mean you like it or find it always easy to deal with. They'd act like only people born in warm climates are ever allowed to acknowledge cold.

Anyway, I eventually moved down South. As of now, I've lived in 3 Southern cities. Gets cold here too but in my opinion, it doesn't last as long as up North and the snow is extremely minimal.

Also, I love when it's like 2 snowflakes here and they shut the city down telling everyone to stay home; in New York, man, we had to work & go to school in all kinds of heavy snow.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:26 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Below -30C is a little too chilly for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics