Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:14 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times

Advertisements

We're only 3 days away from that dreadful anniversary every American wishes it never came to being.

September 11th, 2001 was the day that changed America, probably forever, and made all of us Americans realize the oppressive and the cowardly nature of terrorists, who will not show any mercy to anyone, including children, who come in their path. Their own agenda means a lot more to them than the lives of innocent men, women and children. Yes, it happened in New York City, Washington, DC, and Pennsylvania, but we also realized that it could have happened anywhere else in our country, and it left a scar on all of us that will never heal.

On this upcoming 7th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, how do you feel about the way we are dealing with terrorism now? Do you feel our leaders are doing a good job, or not? How would you rate the job their doing, on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being excellent, and 1 being very poor?

Do you feel just as safe as you did 7 years ago, before September 11th, and have nothing to worry about when you go to large venues, like football, basketball, baseball stadiums, or shopping malls, and won't let terrorists strike fear in you, or do you prefer to stay away from such places?

Are you still travelling by air, or have you stopped doing that since the attacks?

Do you feel we will eventually win against terrorism?

Do you feel we should do more to target the economic resources that provide for the nations that help terrorists financially?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 03:39 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
No I definitely do not feel safer-that sense of security was robbed from us that horrible morning.

Yes I fly but with a new anxiety.

Crowded venues-never did like them but am more aware and cautious than ever.

Target economically-definitely-hit them where it hurts-the wallet.

There will always be some group of terrorists out there as it's now "fashionable" in some sects-all we can do is try to control them or obliterate them.

This is one day that a deep sadness envelopes me. My son was to be there that morning for a meeting that thankfully was cancelled. Many of our friends and neighbors in NJ lost family and loved ones. It's a raw day for me.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:45 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,166,444 times
I don't think we've gotten any further with Terrorism...

I have flown many times since 911.

I don't know if We'll ever win against Terrorism...I guess time will tell. Hope I'm alive to see it...

And yes - It left a big scar...At least than, we all pulled together as a nation.

I was glued to my tv - my family all live in NY and when you can't through to them via the phone - Panic sets in....

Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
I have a dear friend who has lived in NYC since college graduation. We don't communicate often, but I had her phone number and started calling as soon as I heard the news. I have absolutely no idea how I managed to do it, but I got through to her that afternoon to find her safe and sound. In my mind, it was a minor miracle.

I am very close to someone who worked for the govt. and, from what we have both seen, the changes they've made since then are nothing but a farce. That's all I'll say about that.

However, I have flown a number of times since then. They will not take my freedom away from me. If it means I have to take my shoes off to get on that plane, fine. But I will get on that plane, no matter what.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:29 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
The best way to fight terrorism is to continue with our lives and refuse to allow the terrorists to get to the heart of America. I am flying on 9/11 actually...from Prescott, AZ to Spokane WA.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:37 PM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,716 times
I still fly, will not allow anyone to take that away from me ever. Do I feel safer?? Heck no, But it isn't terrorists I fear. It's the crime rate in general. But I will not get on my soapbox. Way too many ideas as to why we are in the mess that we are.
Could not rate it if I had to. Sorry.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:44 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
On this upcoming 7th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, how do you feel about the way we are dealing with terrorism now? Do you feel our leaders are doing a good job, or not? How would you rate the job their doing, on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being excellent, and 1 being very poor?
It's easy for most of us to say leaders could have done a better job in the war against terrorism, but I'm sure the President, and everyone in Washington are doing everything they could to prevent another horrific event, like September 11th, from ever happening again. I also wish groups like the ACLU would quit interfering with various law enforcement agencies that monitor what people of certain nationalities are doing. Those are individuals, who have suspected ties to terrorist ogranizations. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give our leaders in Washington a 4 or 5. I'll explain later in my message.

Quote:
Do you feel just as safe as you did 7 years ago, before September 11th, and have nothing to worry about when you go to large venues, like football, basketball, baseball stadiums, or shopping malls, and won't let terrorists strike fear in you, or do you prefer to stay away from such places?
I do feel just as safe, but I'm also very watchful for suspicious activities whenever I go to baseball or football games. I will not let terrorists strike fear in me.

Quote:
Are you still travelling by air, or have you stopped doing that since the attacks?
Yes, I'm still travelling by air, even more than I did back then, despite the inconveniences of having to go through the security checkpoints. Again, I will not let terrorists stop me from enjoying life, in fact, I am the kind of person who will confront one or mulitiple individuals, who try to cause trouble on a flight, and I will do anything to stop terrorists from gaining access to the flight deck of an aircraft, to protect everybody on the aircraft, and the many others on the ground.

Quote:
Do you feel we will eventually win against terrorism?
Yes, I believe we will, but it's not going to be easy, since we're dealing with an enemy like no other we've seen before. Those are the kind of individuals, who can be your allies one day, then the next day walk into an area with a lot of innocent civilians, and do something catastrophic. This is not the kind of enemy who can easily be identified by a standard issue uniform from their own military, so our military has had a challenge combating that kind of enemy, and thankfully through intelligence, they can now identify such terrorists and eliminate them before they cause any harm.

We also learned that even if we eliminate bin Laden, there will be those who are more than willing to take over. I saw this a few months ago, about the many recruits, that start out as kids under 10 years old, who are taught from the very beginning to hate America, and Israel.

Quote:
Do you feel we should do more to target the economic resources that provide for the nations that help terrorists financially?
That's a definite yes, every gallon of gasoline we buy from large oil companies like Shell, Mobil and others, will put more money in the pockets of dangerous leaders like Hugo Chavez of Venezuella, and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, of Iran. As well as the Saudis, who provide the financial backing for schools that teach young kids a radical version of Islam. Ahmadinejad does also provide aid to some of the radical elements we're fighting in Iraq, and I know that Chavez is an ally of Iran.

That's why I won't buy gasoline from these major oil companies, especially Shell and Citgo. The fact is, if we eliminated our dependence on OPEC oil, these nations would go bankrupt in no time, and terrorists will have to seek financial help from other sources.

We also need to get the environmentalists out of our way so we can use the abundance of oil we have offshore, and other regions in the United States. I heard that we have more than enough oil to last us for 50 years, so I wish certain people in congress would stop listening to environmentalists, and start looking at the reality of what happens when we, and other nations buy oil from OPEC.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum mike View Post
we're only 3 days away from that dreadful anniversary every american wishes it never came to being.

September 11th, 2001 was the day that changed america, probably forever, and made all of us americans realize the oppressive and the cowardly nature of terrorists, who will not show any mercy to anyone, including children, who come in their path. Their own agenda means a lot more to them than the lives of innocent men, women and children. Yes, it happened in new york city, washington, dc, and pennsylvania, but we also realized that it could have happened anywhere else in our country, and it left a scar on all of us that will never heal.

On this upcoming 7th anniversary of the september 11th attacks, how do you feel about the way we are dealing with terrorism now? Do you feel our leaders are doing a good job, or not? How would you rate the job their doing, on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being excellent, and 1 being very poor?

Maybe a 2. Instead of actually going after the terrorists our country invaded an oil-rich country. This "war" has crippled the effort in afghanistan and elsewhere - those places that do actually harbor terrorists, but have no oil (they do have poppies, which are being processed into heroin, which is being sent: Here!). They have tightened up the ability to get on an airplane to the point that many americans are simply not flying, yet every six months or so some enterprising person finds a way to sneak knifes, etc onto an airplane. Fortunately these folks are doing it to point out the gaps in the system. Unfortunately, they end up in jail instead of being hired to test the system. Idiot government logic at it's best.

do you feel just as safe as you did 7 years ago, before september 11th, and have nothing to worry about when you go to large venues, like football, basketball, baseball stadiums, or shopping malls, and won't let terrorists strike fear in you, or do you prefer to stay away from such places?

I felt safe before, and I feel safe now. If I lived in a large city I would not feel as safe. I don't go to large venues, and i don't consider shopping malls as terrorist targets. They are, after all, going for body count and image. Shopping malls don't fit the bill. Well, maybe the mall of America when it's full of kids.

are you still travelling by air, or have you stopped doing that since the attacks?

I still travel by air. I traveled in January 2002 from here to phoenix, to Las Vegas and home again. The only thing that got my attention were the national guard troops in the LV airport carrying around sub machine guns (or something, I didn't bother to ask them what they were). I travel less by air and more by car simply because I'm sick and tired of having to sit for hours in an airport for no reason, and then have the airline screw everything up and spend another few hours waiting for them to "fix" it. I have come to the conclusion that the most worthless people in this country work for the airlines, and united is the worst.

do you feel we will eventually win against terrorism?

Not unless the direction of the attack is changed to actually focus on them instead of cheap oil.

do you feel we should do more to target the economic resources that provide for the nations that help terrorists financially?

Yes, and we should target terrorists wherever they are. If Pakistan, Iran, Saudi Arabia or any other country is harboring them and not doing anything about them, then the U. S. Should go after them. Give notice of intent. Give these countries a set time span to do something and tell them that if they don't expect a visit.
Hope this works. Something is not right. All uppercase went to lowercase and the changes won't save. Worked! Cool.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 09-08-2008 at 05:04 PM..

Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
I know this is not a religious forum, but I truely believe that as long as mankind turns their backs on God we will be plagued with all sorts of evil, including terrorism. And since more and more are turning against God, evil will increase more and more.

Last edited by Towhee; 09-08-2008 at 06:26 PM..

Old 09-08-2008, 05:28 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Yes Sept 11, 2001 changed all of our lives forever. To answer the last part of your question first. Yes economic resources should be targeted. Another step would be to remember that those who are not US citizens or in this country legally and are trying to destroy our way of life should NOT be afforded our constitutional protections.

The fact is we cannot stop terrorism. As long as some nutball is willing to die by him/herself for a cause there is really no way to completely stop them.

If you look at the job being done by govt officials since 9/11/2001 we have severely limited the damage. Look at the list of terrorist attacks on Wikipedia. There have been more foiled than completed in the US. You would not know that by listening to the media. Just in the last week I heard one of the talking heads actually say we don't know what kind of a job we are doing against terrorists, there has not been another attack

I go the race track with 80,000 others secure in two facts. The one thing that our government does fairly well is protect citizens. The other thing that comforts is that if something happens my Lord will be with me or I with Him.

I don't mind some extra time at the airport, I love planes.

Note to terrorists. If you are planning on hijacking anything I'm on that crazed old fat guy, running with his head aimed at your family jewels will be me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics