U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 11:31 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,246,187 times

Advertisements

I don't care about friendly. I'm a customer not a friend. What I want is someone who knows what they are doing and what their product is supposed to do. Even more than that I want someone who can do the required paperwork be it a sale or return.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 11:40 AM

9,355 posts, read 11,511,747 times
Having been involved with CS for years, it amazes me what they get away with at some companies. Recently my husband was speaking with a CSR from Chrysler Financial and geez was he bad! (I don't know if I am not supposed to say the co. name) anyway, we just were looking for our first payment statement for a vehicle we purchased. He would not give the answers we needed and went on to say that we were lucky that they gave us the loan!! What?!! I don't even know why my husband continued to talk to the jerk. We have great credit and could probably get a loan from Lexus. What did that have to do with anything? I could not believe it. It went on and he would not get a mgr for him. He finally hung up and called back and got a wonderful woman who was extremely helpful.

He did praise her and told her what transpired with the other CSR. She even had all the info in front of her, why didn't the other CSR?

Crazy. And annoying.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:42 AM

44,252 posts, read 61,363,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Good customer service to me means fast, prompt, reliable, and friendly service.
I agree. And it has to make some valid attempt to fix my problem.

I think everyone should be as quick to praise good customer service as we are to dog bad service.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:16 PM

5,116 posts, read 16,059,217 times
Good customer service comes when the rep speaks English clearly, goes beyond their "script" to help the customer with the question/problem, and offers additional assistance (from a supervisor) if he/she can't help the customer.

I too make the effort to report GOOD customer service. I've seen it come back in my favor in the way I am treated the next time I frequent this business. The employee I praised thanked me for my positive feedback.....and this was at a fast food restaurant drive thru.

I had a positive experience with Delta when calling to get a replacement hose for my hand-held shower head. They referred me to the manufacturer with both a toll free number and a web address. I called the toll free number, got a rep who spoke English and not only received a free replacement hose, but another shower head as well...with NO out of pocket cost to me....not even shipping. I didn't need to provide a reciept or anything. I was shocked. The whole process took 7 minutes and I received the package in 7 days.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM

559 posts, read 801,713 times
Well... after I posted my thoughts yesterday, I'm in a certain store that specializes in Halloween goodies and only opens for a few weeks each year. There are four very young women working, but they're actually just standing around yakking about their friends and what's been going on with everyone.

I find some things I want to buy, go to the checkout and there is now one girl behind the counter. She looks at me, and then just walks out from behind the counter and heads over to the other three and starts to talk about the guys who work there and how they just can't do anything and leave it all for the girls, and they have to do everything around there. All this time messing around with a display.

And I'm still standing at the checkout counter with my items in my hand looking at them in disbelief. After a few minutes she comes back and just says "sorry, it's like I have to do everything in this place!"

Sheesh!!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:09 PM

43,099 posts, read 57,960,084 times
SeaDreams...I probably would have said "one more job for you, here take these and put them back where they belong". Bye!

Old 10-10-2008, 05:20 PM

559 posts, read 801,713 times
Ya know nitram - I sure should have! It's actually somewhat satisfying to make your thoughts known directly in a situation like that! And then I could have come back later and bought the items I wanted when someone else was working (cause I really did want one of them and hadn't seen it anywhere else in town doggone it!) I just ended up keeping my mouth shut and paying for my things cause of that one item I wanted.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:49 PM

5,116 posts, read 16,059,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDreams View Post
Well... after I posted my thoughts yesterday, I'm in a certain store that specializes in Halloween goodies and only opens for a few weeks each year. There are four very young women working, but they're actually just standing around yakking about their friends and what's been going on with everyone.

I find some things I want to buy, go to the checkout and there is now one girl behind the counter. She looks at me, and then just walks out from behind the counter and heads over to the other three and starts to talk about the guys who work there and how they just can't do anything and leave it all for the girls, and they have to do everything around there. All this time messing around with a display.

And I'm still standing at the checkout counter with my items in my hand looking at them in disbelief. After a few minutes she comes back and just says "sorry, it's like I have to do everything in this place!"

Sheesh!!
I've experienced this too. The co-workers are all so busy chatting with each other, they don't realize a customer needs them to work, or they attempt to wait on a customer and chat with co-workers at the same time. In this circumstance, they are NOT good multitaskers.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 PM

230 posts, read 851,827 times
I absolutely agree with what everyone has said. Bad customer service is unacceptable.

Sometimes I have to bite my tongue and try to put it in perspective when I think I am getting lousy service from some clueless teenager, a socially challenged person, or from someone who simply has not mastered the art of communicating in English. So many of these jobs so low-paying that they can't attract of keep competent people.

But can I just play the devil's advocate here for a minute? I used to work in customer service, and you would never believe the number of people who acted like JERKS. It was really hard to smile and be professional with folks who where just plain rude. My mom raised me to say "hello," "please," and "thank you." I was just amazed at the number of folks out there who were unfamiliar with these words. Remember folks, if you want great customer service:
1. Get off your cell phone.
2. Look at the person and smile.
3. Don't expect the other person to read your mind. Communicate clearly what you need and expect.
4. When done, say "thank you" and smile.
5. If you're not happy with the service you get, by all means report it to the management.
6. If you ARE happy with the service you get, BY ALL MEANS, REPORT IT to the management!!

One day I even found a wallet that had been left behind by a customer. It contained numerous credit cards, gift cards, checks, membership cards, several IDs, a passport, stamps, and a LOT of cash. Basically, I was holding that person's life in my hands. I was almost scared to imagine how royally screwed that person could have potentially become. I turned the wallet in. I never heard a word about it again. You wouldn't believe how thankless my job felt some days.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:49 PM

8,176 posts, read 17,899,640 times
I did customer service for 20 years so I'm kinda easy to please buy also easy to annoy.

Acknowledge me. Do NOT talk on the phone while you're suppose to be waiting on me.
Never ever tell me it's not your job then walk away. Call someone who's job it is.

Never ever reprimand another employee in front of a customer.

Ask me if there's anything else you can help me with and Thank me for my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics