Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:11 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,733 times

Advertisements

It seems like the door bell of my home is always ringing with door to door sales people. I think it has got worse every year in an era where most people are more concerned about safety and privacy.

Most of the time the door bell rings it is a neighbor kid trying to sell something for his/her school. Their sales presentation is poor. Usually they look ill at ease and just say, "want to buy some magazines?" while they are looking down. I tried to coach them on a more effective sales approach, but they looked at me like I was crazy.

I actually went to their parents and stated I would more likely buy their products if their son or daughter would have taken my advice on salesmanship. Again they looked at me like I was crazy.

How about this: "Hello, I am Todd Johnson from across the street. I go to Wilson High School and am in the band. Our Band Program is being cut back to to the tough economy. We now are looking for private support. Can you help our community band by purchasing a magazine subscription?"

Am I asking to much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 08:04 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
When the neighbor kids come knocking at the door here, we know who they are, we know their brothers and sisters, their parents and sometimes their grandparents..so most of us (having kids or grandkids of our own) try to buy at least one small item from each one..Then as we close the door we think "Thank God there are only a few fourth graders in the neighborhood" The schools around here are pretty good about not sending the children door to door simply because of the safety issues now a days..Most of the kids who do come are accompanied by their mom or an older sibling..

Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
I'm sure you're right that they would do better with a more polished, polite approach, but yeah, I think you're probably asking too much. Some kids are so shy it's probably all they can do just to go ring the doorbell.

Personally, I will never buy magazines door -to - door. I will buy girl scout cookies sometimes or boy scout popcorn! We both work and are not at home a lot. So it's not much of an issue, but if I think someone ringing the doorbell is selling something (adult OR child) and I don't care to deal with it right then, I just don't go to the door. In fact, anymore, if it's an adult I don't know, I won't open the door anyway.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-09-2008 at 09:03 AM..

Old 10-09-2008, 09:02 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
I am with Kaykay on this one. I hated going door to door when I was selling girl scout cookies. The only thing that saved me was the girl scout uniform and the ever familiar list of cookie names.

Generally speaking, kids are given no instruction on presentation. At most, they might see a quick demonstration by one of the older kids. It would be nice if we were given some training, but to get some unsolicited coaching from a person on my route would not have gone over very well with me, either. It comes off as criticism for something I really didn't want to do to begin with. You'd be more likely to buy my magazine or cookies if I presented it better? Now you are coming off as threatening or bossy. "If you do it my way, I might buy your stupid magazine." I don't mean to be ugly, but that's how it comes across.

If you don't like the presentation, don't buy the magazine or cookies or whatever it is and leave it at that. This is not career training grounds, it is just something the kids have to do from time to time. Just be pleasant. Yes or no will do nicely.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:25 AM

485 posts, read 1,839,733 times
I disagree because these are High School aged kids and they should be more mature and better communicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I am with Kaykay on this one. I hated going door to door when I was selling girl scout cookies. The only thing that saved me was the girl scout uniform and the ever familiar list of cookie names.

Generally speaking, kids are given no instruction on presentation. At most, they might see a quick demonstration by one of the older kids. It would be nice if we were given some training, but to get some unsolicited coaching from a person on my route would not have gone over very well with me, either. It comes off as criticism for something I really didn't want to do to begin with. You'd be more likely to buy my magazine or cookies if I presented it better? Now you are coming off as threatening or bossy. "If you do it my way, I might buy your stupid magazine." I don't mean to be ugly, but that's how it comes across.

If you don't like the presentation, don't buy the magazine or cookies or whatever it is and leave it at that. This is not career training grounds, it is just something the kids have to do from time to time. Just be pleasant. Yes or no will do nicely.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,246,413 times
Maybe you should be the adult and they will learn from YOUR polished approach...

Old 10-09-2008, 09:36 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,215 times
Refugee, High Schoolers are the worst.

They believe in preserving the art of the mumble and are majoring in eye avoidance. They are good at these.

They are doing this because they HAVE to. Anyone who has teenagers will tell you that when it comes to 'making' them do anything, they will the BAREST minimum to get it done. They really do not want to do well at selling door to door because they know it will be expected that they improve on THIS performance the NEXT time they have to do it.

They definately don't think they will ever be doing sales as a career and your well meant but misguided attempt to coach them is out of their teen aged minds as soon as they turn around.

Sorry, but that's the cold hearted truth.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:43 AM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times
I wish the school would just ask how much they expect from every kid and let us cut a check for it and be done with it. I feel like every time we have to do this the neighbors want to pretend they aren't home and I don't blame them. With the percentage of money the schools pull down from the budget is this stuff really necessary? I don't mind volunteering at the school but using the kids to pimps junk has gone too far.
They've already banned anyone doing this at work, thank God.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I wish the school would just ask how much they expect from every kid and let us cut a check for it and be done with it. I feel like every time we have to do this the neighbors want to pretend they aren't home and I don't blame them. With the percentage of money the schools pull down from the budget is this stuff really necessary? I don't mind volunteering at the school but using the kids to pimps junk has gone too far.
They've already banned anyone doing this at work, thank God.
Tend to agree. I've had a child. Been there. Done that. I don't necessarily know the answer if increased funds are needed, but I agree, it's pretty overboard. Especially at work.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:13 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,520 times
A friend would not let her son sell anything and she refused to buy anything. She thought she was doing the right thing with her hard line. Well I happened to be at the school the day they had a pizza party for every one that sold something. Those that did not sell anything were made to go sit in the office while the others had their "reward". This is where I ran into a very sad little group of kids. I didn't know who I was more upset with - the Principal, the teacher or the parents.

I understand that the money made from fund raisers are used for play ground equipment, etc. What I do not understand is how they can punish kids (even high school age) for not selling. If they need a set amount of money then the school should have a dollar amount each family could give.

BTW - I went to the Principal with my point of view, made an appointment to visit with the teacher, and let my friends know I want their kids to feel free to ask me about buying stuff. I also went to the school board and demanded they end the policy of putting "non sellers" out of the room.

If you would really like to help out the situation Refugee gave a very nice lesson format. Instead of closing the door and complaining - help them out.

"How about this: "Hello, I am Todd Johnson from across the street. I go to Wilson High School and am in the band. Our Band Program is being cut back to to the tough economy. We now are looking for private support. Can you help our community band by purchasing a magazine subscription?""
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics