Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:22 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,122,669 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone.
Happy Wednesday
Posting this early so I can continue with my library to office project.
lol the pile to donate to either Goodwill or the Humane Society thrift shop is growing !!!
So as much as I would rather be here than there, I must be diligent so lets see your answers to

Today's Question(s):

What's your favorite charity? This could be one you donate money or time to.

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up so you don't freeze your "you know what off" before going somewhere?
How long do you let it "warm up" before heading out?

Bonus Question:

Inviting folks into your home Yay or Nay ?
and Why ?

Extra Bonus Question:

Paper towels or cloth towels in your kitchen?

Today in History:
October 15, 1860 11-year-old Grace Bedell writes to Lincoln, tells him to grow a beard
October 15, 1881 1st American fishing magazine, American Angler published
October 15, 1939 LaGuardia Airport opens in New York City
October 15, 1951 "I Love Lucy" debuts on CBS TV
October 15, 1977 Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life," goes #1 and stays #1 for 10 weeks - ok everyone sing "youuuuuu light up my liiiife you bring me hope to carrry oooonn !!!!!!

Word of the Day:
dilettante
\DIL-uh-tont; dil-uh-TONT; dil-uh-TON-tee; -TANT; -TAN-tee\, noun:
1. An amateur or dabbler; especially, one who follows an art or a branch of knowledge sporadically, superficially, or for amusement only.
2. An admirer or lover of the fine arts.

Today is:
National Chicken Cacciatore Day
and
National Mushroom Day
it is also
National Poetry Day

Last edited by FLPL75; 10-15-2008 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: more details in the warming the car ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
I used to give to United Way regularly through my work. I think the only charity we give to now is a catholic monastery. I don't give like I used to...

I don't warm up my Honda unless it is subfreezing temps. And then that is to get the heater warmed up.

I am a very reclusive person by nature. Not many folks get invited to my house. But then, I live way out in the country and the dirt roads are a great deterrant. Guess I am becoming a hermit in my old age.

Paper towels. Bounty.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times

There are those who would say that my online flea market [QFLEA] is my favorite charity since I spend hours each day working on it and I don't paid for it. However, my true favorite is the Alzheimer's Association. If you've ever had a friend or family member stricken by Alzheimer's, you understand.

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up before going somewhere? How long do you let it "warm up" before heading out?

No. I was told that cars built after 1995 no longer needed that "warm-up" time, so I start the car and by the time I'm buckled in and my music is ready, so am I.

Both.

National Poetry Day

There's always too much to do around here,
Home repair, online work and more is always near,
But no matter how busy, whatever else gets in the way,
There's always time to answer Karla's Question of the Day

Old 10-15-2008, 05:56 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Most of the time it's the association for the blind or the local homeless center

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up before going somewhere? Although it's not cold as some places yes I warm it up for the sake of the heater. But then I ride a motorcycle most of the year and I don't warm it up.
How long do you let it "warm up" before heading out? 5 minutes or so.

Bonus Question:

Inviting folks into your home Yay or Nay ? not unless I know them
and Why ?

Extra Bonus Question:

Paper towels or cloth towels in your kitchen? Both.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:56 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Morning all.

Favorite charity-well years ago that was my kids!!! But we do Amer. Cancer Soc.

Being very familiar, unfortunately, with cold for the past 3 yrs.-no we don't, like Charley stated cars built after certain time don't require warming.

Company over to stay-sure but make it short!

Both paper and cloth towels.

I celebrated Natl Chicken Cacc Day-had it 3x this week.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:02 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
What's your favorite charity? The Juvenile Diabetes Foundation....Toy4Tots are the main two.
Extra Credit Question:

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up before going somewhere? Hey it gets cold here.....well kinda...sorta...ok you win.

Bonus Question:

Inviting folks into your home Yay or Nay ? Not as much as we used to. Usually for a race or a football game.
and Why ? Life got busy and we don't have as much time.

Extra Bonus Question:

Paper towels or cloth towels in your kitchen? Both

Today in History:
October 15, 1977 Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life," goes #1 and stays #1 for 10 weeks - ok everyone sing "youuuuuu light up my liiiife you bring me hope to carrry oooonn !!!!! Great now that song will be in my head all day!

Today is:
National Mushroom Day Love the magic mushrooms.....did I say that outloud??
it is also
National Poetry Day Trick or Treat, smell my........

Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times

I can't say I'm annually loyal to one specific charity although I do give to my alma mater every year. My volunteer years were spent in libraries and schools.

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up before going somewhere?

Yes, to accomplish part two of this question below ...

Long enough to get the inside toasty warm. And now that I live in the south, I'll sometimes let the car idle a bit with the AC blasting to cool off the inside. I know, I know - it's wasting valuable gas, but there's just something about getting into a hot car and starting to sweat after taking so much time to get my makeup and hair just right .. selfishness and vanity I suppose.

and Why ?

In my previous home, rarely - the house was always a mess (too hard to keep clean). Here in FL, all the time - an easy house to keep picked up. (oops, looks like vanity seeping in again)

Cloth for drying hands and dishes. Knitted cloths for washing dishes. Handiwipes for cleaning counters. Paper for everything else.

October 15, 1977 Debbie Boone's "You Light Up My Life," goes #1 and stays #1 for 10 weeks - ok everyone sing "youuuuuu light up my liiiife you bring me hope to carrry oooonn !!!!!!

I remember - I still have the sheet music.

Word of the Day:
dilettante \DIL-uh-tont; dil-uh-TONT; dil-uh-TON-tee; -TANT; -TAN-tee\, noun:
1. An amateur or dabbler; especially, one who follows an art or a branch of knowledge sporadically, superficially, or for amusement only.
2. An admirer or lover of the fine arts.

So I'm a dilettante for the reasons underlined :-)

Old 10-15-2008, 06:16 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Today's Question(s):

Time and money go to my church. Health concerns have reduced our time.

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up before going somewhere?

Mrs Dude's blood stops circulating in her fingers when they get cold. To reduce that we have a remote starter on her car. Depending on the temp we she starts it 5-15 min before heading out.

Bonus Question:

and Why ?

We love to have people over. I enjoy cooking for crowds.

Extra Bonus Question:

Is this an either or question? I just assume everyone has both.

Today is:

National Poetry Day[/quote]

I should be cleaning the toaster
Instead I’m a CD poster
On most subjects I’m dilettante
But if I find the one I want
To shine. I become a boaster.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:20 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
My favorite charity is the American Guide Dog Association.

I do let my car idle about 5-7 minutes to warm up while I am scraping ice off the windshield and mirrors. This is something new for me, when I was a young whipper snapper, I would start the car and head right out. Age has a way of redefining your comfort tolerance levels.

Nay on inviting people to my home. I have my house set up for one person, me. If someone wants to come to my house, they'll have to bring their own chair. Having said that, I do have two chairs on my patio and will step outside to talk with those who stop by, unannounced.

I use both paper towels and terry towels.

I'll take a helping of mushrooms just to honor the day!

Old 10-15-2008, 06:52 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Like Charley, I try to give a little to the Alzheimers Association. I HAVE seen the end result of what that hideous disease does. Also I have donated to one of the local animal rescue groups in my area. And the Salvation Army. It is freezing at night where I live, so I have been letting the car warm up about 5 minutes or so. Paper and cloth towels in my humble house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics