Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,335,304 times

Advertisements

I was putting away some Christmas decorations and I came across some dolls I have saved away for my granddaughter. I have several Barbie dolls and a Chatty Cathy doll. All replicas from my childhood days. I was definitely a "baby doll" girl. I remember when I got my Thumbelina baby. I was in heaven. http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/tools/36.gif (broken link)

What was your favorite toy when you were a kid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 05:14 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,244,197 times
I loved army men when I was a kid. I had HUNDREDS of little plastic men, little plastic tanks, etc. I also had a set of little plastic cowboys & Indians, complete with little plastic horses.

Of course there was also my Easy Bake Oven (the kind with a light bulb).......

Old 02-10-2007, 05:17 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,198,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
I was putting away some Christmas decorations and I came across some dolls I have saved away for my granddaughter. I have several Barbie dolls and a Chatty Cathy doll. All replicas from my childhood days. I was definitely a "baby doll" girl. I remember when I got my Thumbelina baby. I was in heaven. http://webpages.charter.net/connectingzone/tools/36.gif (broken link)

What was your favorite toy when you were a kid?
GI Joe Not the little ones, but the 12" size with the Kung Fu grip

Old 02-10-2007, 05:23 PM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
I loved dolls, all kinds, but really loved Barbie, I still have all of mine. I never had a daughter to give them too, but I still have them, maybe one day I'll sell them.

Old 02-10-2007, 05:24 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,909,919 times
Hands down, my Big-Wheel (it's a little 3-wheeler with peddles) from back in the late 60's-early 70's. I rode it until it fell apart.

As far as childhood memories, going to Disney World as a teenager with my family in the late 70's-early 80's. Also, spending several weeks each summer at my grandparent's farm near Myrtle Beach, SC. All of them, great, GREAT memories!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 05:33 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,997 times
ahhhhhhh my favorite subject.

Alas grammy I am sure I am much older than you based on the dolls you had as a kid.

When I was young the grocery stores carried these beautiful tall fashion dolls made by Deluxe Reading. These were Sweet Rosemary, Betty the Beautiful Bride, Sweet Ann, etc. I used to beg to go to the grocery store so I could stand and admire these dolls. I wanted to add every one of these dolls to my already growing collection of Saucy Walker dolls and plastic Irwin dolls that had talcum powder coming out of holes in their heads. Of couse Woolworth dime store had little plastic dolls marked made in Japan for 50 cents each. Wow they were wonderful.

Then I grew up and my dad sold his big huge house. Among those items sold were my dolls. Unfortunately my dad was devastated by my mother's death and wanted everything gone and out of sight and really didn't let us kids have our things so if we wanted them we had to buy them. I didn't like it but I guess it was his way of coping. At the time I was a mother to be and poor as a mouse so I couldn't buy my own dolls.

Through the years I have sought out and bought every doll I could see just to make up for the loss of my dolls. Now I am getting older and am surrounded with close to 600 dolls....and I am happier than I have ever been. And every day I do something with at least a couple of my dolls. Sometimes I redress them. Soemtimes I repair. Sometimes I sew doll clothes. I really don't collect dolls....they collect me. LOL

I guess I really never grew up (smile)

Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
LEGOS!
Oohh and Hotwheels. Loved those little cars.

My dad's an enginerd. He'd bring blueprints home and we would design "cities" and drive our little cars around and have races. Outside, we would build villages in my mother's flower beds. Current owners are probably ~still~ digging little Corvettes out of the flower beds....

I wasn't much of a doll girl, but Barbie sure did teach me a lot about sex.
I would play "nasty barbies" with the older girls in the neighborhood. Ken...poor Ken is gay. Everyone knew that you had to steal your brother's GI Joe in order for Barbie to see any action.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:22 PM

13 posts, read 31,755 times
my tonka trucks and front end loader.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:14 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,781,279 times
Light Brite, skateboard, jax, barbie & ken (made them smooch all the time), crissy doll

Old 02-11-2007, 08:03 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
I wasn't much of a dolly girl, but I did love my Raggedy Ann.
I had row upon row of plastic horse figurines, too: pintos, whites, blacks, sorrels, palominos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics