Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2007, 07:48 PM

5,531 posts, read 7,123,271 times

Advertisements

15 Things it took me my whole life to learn...

1. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

2. If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."

3. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

5. You should not confuse your career with your life.

6. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance. (This one is very important)

7. Never lick a steak knife.

8. The most destructive force in the universe is gossip.

9. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

10. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

11. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 11.

12. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.

13. A person, who is nice to you, but rude to a waiter, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)

14. Your friends love you anyway.

15. Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 08:21 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,992,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post

1. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.Jeepers...not a pretty picture you paint! I've never taken a sleeping pill before and I don't think I've ever taken a laxative either...!

2. If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."Agreed!

3. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."I'll have to think this one over. It might open new doors to my introspection and my views of others...

4. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.Well of course! Why bother wasting your time listening to pagan zealots when you're right?

5. You should not confuse your career with your life.I have learned that!

6. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance. (This one is very important) After two martinis I don't care how well I dance either

7. Never lick a steak knife. That should be a disclaimer on speaking with "forked tongue"

8. The most destructive force in the universe is gossip.It definitely is destructive, but often evil fun. I'm guilty.

9. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.I actually find it logical myself and don't mind it at all...although, now that most of American farming isn't family run anymore...I guess we could look for ending it?

10. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment. Been there, done that...

11. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 11.Agreed! I've never, ever been keen on birthdays, but I try to remember two, my mother's and my sister's (we're twins )

12. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.Someone should appoint me judge because there's a study out that Aries and Libras are statistically bad drivers! I am not a bad driver, just impatient

13. A person, who is nice to you, but rude to a waiter, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.) I'd actually need a few more examples before I went that far to judge, though I agree it would influence my opinion of the person being nice to me and rude to the waiter negatively

14. Your friends love you anyway.your friends never would ask you to do something dangerous or stupid using the excuse "you would if you loved me" because they know that if it were them being asked to do the same thing that put them at unnecessary risk, they would answer "you wouldn't ask me to do that if YOU loved ME!"

15. Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
I agree, don't be afraid to try something new, but don't be an idiot adventurer either and remember as you age you gained common sense and have hopefully learned your limitations....Use it!

Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,276,225 times
Thanks for the laugh NYTom.

I'd also like to add to #13 - You can tell how generous a person is by how much they tip! The extreme is my mother who insists on 30% and I've seen her give up to 50%. Then there's the bf who gives a dollar no matter what, unless he gives none.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:23 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,332,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post

1. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

2. If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."

3. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

4. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.

5. You should not confuse your career with your life.

6. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance. (This one is very important)

7. Never lick a steak knife.

8. The most destructive force in the universe is gossip.

9. You will never find anybody who can give you a clear and compelling reason why we observe daylight savings time.

10. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her at that moment.

11. There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 11.

12. The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.

13. A person, who is nice to you, but rude to a waiter, is not a nice person. (This is very important. Pay attention. It never fails.)

14. Your friends love you anyway.

I'm still laughing...those were AWESOME!!!!! If I could give you a million rep points I would...I love you, that was like the best post I've ever read on here!!

Old 01-25-2007, 10:02 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,122,278 times
You can find the original list in the book "Dave Barry Turns 50" by Dave Barry.

The title is actually: "25 Things I Have Learned in 50 Years"

I'd print it here but the mods don't like copyrighted material you can find it on line using those keywords.

Still, great stuff. I just like to see authors get credited when due.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:18 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,667,143 times
#13 was recently cited as a major hiring factor by several CEOs for top positions. I don't remember the article, but I may have to go look up the link.

Found it: http://www.usatoday.com/money/compan...ter-rule_x.htm

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-25-2007 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 01-25-2007, 03:47 PM

675 posts, read 2,686,168 times
Can I add another?

Always laugh at you father-in-law's jokes!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:46 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,532,255 times
My 10 things I learned over the years:

1. Learned to be a better driver (it takes time to be really good).

2. Don't take laxatives too often (I had terrible stomach problems for a while when I was in my early 20's).

3. Sunbathing cautiously (using sunscreen, not baby oil, will still give me a tan, just not the burn!!)

4. Not to color my hair so often during the year (makes my hair too brittle at the ends and I don't want to have short hair again).

5. Can't make everyone like me (I remember I used to try everything for every man to like me. That is so wrong. Just be myself and just enjoy the one's that do).

6. Exercise at least 5 days a week (I used to be sporadic at times, but I realized that this isn't good).

7. Kind of watch what I eat now (Some foods, I've noticed in the past fews years, don't agree with me. Some bloat me too much and some don't go down easy for me).

8. Blowdrying my hair only when I'm going out of the house (I used to have a bad habit of blowdrying it everytime my hair was wet from the shower. This made my hair too dry at the ends).

9. Using a specific shampoo and conditioner for my hair (I used to use anything, but some of the brands were too harsh on my hair.)

10. Preferring to watch my DVD's over certain T.V. shows (I don't like a lot of the T.V. shows they have nowadays).

Old 06-17-2007, 11:31 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,369,461 times
Next number: If my dog doesn't like someone, they are not worth knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics