Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:43 PM

84 posts, read 208,738 times

Advertisements

Good to know I'm not the only one overwhelmed with forming criteria for my 'best' place, then trying to find it. When I started my search, I spent a lot of time on line at the 'best places to live' web sites. What I found most valuable wasn't necessarily recommendations. It made me think a lot about what my best place would look like and which criteria are more important than others.

For instance, weather is VERY high on my list. I'd be willing to put up with a few other things -- like traffic or high taxes -- for the right weather. There are millions of sites like these, but I'll list a few. Just go to Google and search for best places to live.

Since then, I've found this very site: city-data.com, to be a great source of information on determining the cost of living compared to other places or the density of population, or the age of people in a particular place.

Here are a few places to start you visualizing what is important for you.

Best Places to Live 2006 - Money Magazine

Moderator cut: links removed

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 08:32 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
I would put safety and low crime above all and so should others. Too many people live in bad areas or cities. My own city is ranked 14th most dangerous and I cant wait to leave! Weather isnt that important, basically as long as it doesnt get below zero or above hundred degrees its acceptable for me. This would make Texas problamatic cause it can get dangerously hot in the summer. Florida rarely gets hot enough to be dangerous but it can and ive been so hot I was dizzy and had to sit down and rest!

Let me check the reviews of Oil city:

I would not live in this overun by drugs,perverts and aids infected homosexuals for any reason, I think they been sniffing the pennzoil fumes for to many years.(my comments: this guy is rude and not to be taken seriously because of his rudeness. I have news for him: theres drugs everywhere!)

Oil City is like any other small town in rural Pennsylvania. Advantages and disadvantages likewise. Very nice for young families, wonderful place to raise young children, community orientated. Almost no serious crime, low cost of living, great house buying market. Beautiful area, nice scenery. Economy is unfortunately on the downslide. Lots of families moving out of area. Unemployment rate is fairly high and steady. Not many options for young people in the work force. College graduates not inclined to return to the area or stay because of the job market. There is a wonderful sense of community, education has it's good and bad points but overall it's average.(my comments: doesnt matter as im self employed. I cant find a job even here in south FL!)

Housing Oil City, PA United States
Median Home Age 52 27
Median Home Cost $81,700 $217,200
Home Appreciation 11.40% 9.80%
Homes Owned 56.36% 64.07%
Housing Vacant 9.75% 14.48%
Homes Rented 33.90% 21.45%

Isnt that funny? Several people told me Oil city houses will never go up in value! Well the appreciation is much better than many cities!

Lets see what people have to say about West Palm Beach:

I moved here after having all of Miami I could stand. Same place, differnet zip codes. I have now decided that south Florida is just a terrible place to live. I do not recomend living here(south Florida) unless there is absolutly no alternitive but living in the street. I am not being rude just honest about the quality of life in so. FL. Something that native Floridians seem unable to do. They have seemed to convince themselves that this is "Paradise"

The rest of the reviews are negative! It looks like even somewhere like Oil city is a "better" location!

I can not afford to live anywhere expensive unless I land a high paying job. Whats the point living somewhere if you are going to be too poor to enjoy a middle class life? Thats why I want to live somewhere that is affordable. Hey if I was rich then I could afford an expensive location. I would need to make around $100k a year to afford south FL and ill only stay if I cant get a job paying the same elsewhere. Once I retire early due to the high salary, im soooo outta here!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times
My kid is 21 and makes a base pay of $16 an hour. He works 84 or more hours a week. After a 3-4 week shift on, he gets 2 weeks off.

401K, dental, medical etc. and a company match up to 6% on the 401K.

Course he's oil field riffraff, but he's an untrained laborer. And he has to work in Prudhoe Bay. But he gets to live in Alaska.

And he lives with mom and dad when he's on his rotation.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:42 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,248 times
I'd say you need to do some traveling NAH. Pick out more than one possible location because it might turn out that one place is just not right somehow. Find a few possible cities. Let's hope they are not too far apart or are in the same direction.
Next it's time to hit the road. Bring some of your information with you unless you have a laptop. Plan on spending the night in any of your good locations. Step out and meet some people. Check out the local businesses.Take a walk downtown. This would help you decide where is right for you. You just can't do it all online.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:41 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
The sad thing is my dad doesnt want to come with me and I will get lost in those unfamiliar areas alone so ill need to find some people to meet when I visit those cities. Im thinking of flying to Pittsburgh cause its a cheaper air fare and Oil city is nearby. Ill be paying for the gas and time that my friend uses to give me a tour of the area and check out houses and stores.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:26 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
The sad thing is my dad doesnt want to come with me and I will get lost in those unfamiliar areas alone so ill need to find some people to meet when I visit those cities.
Hook yourself up with Google maps, or have the city's Chamber of Commerce or even the town hall send you a map of the area. As long as you have a map you can't get lost.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:58 PM

613 posts, read 798,348 times
East Texas of course!

Old 02-20-2007, 03:04 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Getting lost can be fun. IMO it's how you really learn an area. Pittsburgh is lovely; I've gotten lost there too and I survived, so don't worry about it.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,851 times
Well, I'm in much the same boat. We live in a beautiful part of the country, the Pacific NW, but I want to move, and my husband wants to stay. It is the ONLY thing we disagree on, but it's a big, although quiet, disagreement. I have had enough rain and high prices to last me a lifetime! His dad (who is 90) and his kids live up here; my children, parents, and brothers all live in the South. I want to move back home while housing is still relatively affordable. I can have a beautiful 2-story home in SC; the same money buys me a manufactured home up here. Husband will be 62 on his birthday, and I will be 50 on my birthday this year. I have been patiently waiting for him to change his mind for about 4 years now, but my patience is flat wearing out. I keep telling him that the heat and humidity simply do not matter; that is why we have air conditioning. But heck, I can't do a thing about the RAIN!! Lord love us!

Old 02-20-2007, 07:41 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
It's all about your priorities. I HATE, HATE, HATE a place that has absolutely NOTHING to do. A small town would drive me nuts but so would a very urban and dense area such as NYC. I like the suburbs; I can commute to the city but I can live in an area that is more spread-out and comfortable. If I want to go somewhere, I can hop in my car and drive there but I don't want to be in the middle of it all.

Everyone has their own personal tastes and mine lean to the nice, suburban way of life. I would not do well in NYC nor would I like to live in a rural environment where I wouldn't see another house for miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics