Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:06 PM

559 posts, read 2,115,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
It's all about your priorities. I HATE, HATE, HATE a place that has absolutely NOTHING to do. A small town would drive me nuts but so would a very urban and dense area such as NYC. I like the suburbs; I can commute to the city but I can live in an area that is more spread-out and comfortable. If I want to go somewhere, I can hop in my car and drive there but I don't want to be in the middle of it all.

Everyone has their own personal tastes and mine lean to the nice, suburban way of life. I would not do well in NYC nor would I like to live in a rural environment where I wouldn't see another house for miles.
You're absolutely right on about that. The trick for us is finding the right place. I know there's got to be one because God never gives you something you can't handle (JMHO); my husband and I love each other, so there's got to be a place just waiting for us. It's just up to us to find it. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
It's all in what you're looking for,I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:25 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
I would consider staying in Florida if they do away with property taxes and I became rich enough to afford one of those expensive quarter million dollar houses. Itll be in north FL. I have visited Gainsville and drove thru north FL and its so much better than south FL. I hate south FL and would never pay those prices but north FL is 2/3 the price, better weather, lower crime and ill buy inland away from the coastal area to get it cheaper and also away from the worst hurricane.(they get weaker as they go inland) See some examples of 1/4 million dollar houses. Do you have a picture of your house for us to admire the good deal you got?

http://homepics.realtor.com/image9/http/lakecityarea/listings/large/074/55350a.jpg (broken link)

I would like a nice big house like that!

http://homepics.realtor.com/image9/http/lakecityarea/submit/large/000/56358a.jpg (broken link)
I love a 100% brick house in an upscale neighboor!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:30 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,338 times
This is quite an interesting topic. It almost sounds like NAH wants us to tell him/her where to move. You ask for opinions on where we live and that's what you get. We tell you about where WE live and yes it might be the best place for us but maybe not for you. I think i live in the best area in West Central FL. I wouldn't live in a big city cause i'm not a city girl but if someone else posts on here that they live in the city and loves the city life, then yeah your going to read my post about why not to live in a city then you'll read the other post about why you should live in a city. I mean geesh, this is all about opinions not making decisions for other people on where they are going to live.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:39 AM

208 posts, read 872,253 times
Question dry air versus gardening

We have been looking intently in Oklahoma because of the low cost of living but my husband has bad lungs and needs low humidity plus access to a VA. Is there anywhere with low humidity/low cost of living /great gardening (water doesn't cost a fortune and long growing season)?

Old 06-20-2007, 04:58 PM

14 posts, read 49,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocoldiron View Post
We have been looking intently in Oklahoma because of the low cost of living but my husband has bad lungs and needs low humidity plus access to a VA. Is there anywhere with low humidity/low cost of living /great gardening (water doesn't cost a fortune and long growing season)?
If your husband needs low humidity, I would eliminate all the southern states right off. Even TN where I live, gets insufferably humid about 3-4 months of the year. The farther south you go, the higher the humidity and for longer periods. I would look west...Oklahoma sounds like a good start.

As for the VA hospital, go to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and search the facility listing. They list everything from the local clinics to their Medical Centers and for the latter, the clinics, specialities and medical school affiliations for each. Lots of information for planning ahead. Best wishes in your search.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
im quite biased, cause ive been in maine all my life, the air is clean, the people are friendly, very low crime rates, we have mountains, lakes, and a coastline, see wildlife all the time, and you can drive ten minutes from any point in maine and be "in the country"
this morning while making coffee, i saw the sunrise, over the lake in front of my house, i can hear the loons, and have a family of geese on my lawn, two adult and 6 little ones, i see ospreys and eagles, everyday, and deer/moose
i can throw a fishing line out and good chance of catching a fish, go boating at anytime, and take my atv's in the woods (trails) anytime,
most of maine is rural, unspoiled,
the taxes on my house (waterfront) is only 750 a yr.
maine gets a bad rap being a northern cold state, but last december, i was playing golf with my son, and also, this april, i was,, and i do enjoy the snow, have snowmobiles, that we trail-ride with thru the woods, see much wildlife and the air is cool and crisp.
there is very little traffic congestion, or crowds, unless there's an event going on.
this is the place to be if you enjoy outdoor activities, want clean air and friendly people, and especially if you like to be left alone.
ive lived in my town for 15 yrs, have yet to lock my front door, and keep my keys in my car without fear it will be stolen.
i've never had to worry about running into gangs, or a "bad part of town"
i am spoiled, i grew up on the ocean,,,love the open-ness, the salt-air, seafood, and to watch a sunrise and sunset sparkle and fade over the water is incredible.
i can drive my motorcycle up in the mountains of maine, and be awed, by the scenery and vistas, of seeing mountains for 80 miles.
i can go "camping" just about anywheres., have a bonfire in my front yard, go kayaking, or canoeing on a moments notice, dont have to worry about crowds, or getting nickled and dimed for everything you do.
we have great beaches on the ocean, and lakes everywhere to swim,,,,when my son was in his younger teens, we liked to drive around the back roads and jump off the bridges over streams and rivers.(swimming holes)

i believe maine was voted as in the top 5 , as a great place to raise a family, and even retire, i see it firsthand, many are movin to maine to get out of the ratrace, and violence of the big cities. a place where anyone can settle down, feel secure, and enjoy the fresh air, and the outdoors.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
im quite biased, cause ive been in maine all my life, the air is clean, the people are friendly, very low crime rates, we have mountains, lakes, and a coastline, see wildlife all the time, and you can drive ten minutes from any point in maine and be "in the country"
this morning while making coffee, i saw the sunrise, over the lake in front of my house, i can hear the loons, and have a family of geese on my lawn, two adult and 6 little ones, i see ospreys and eagles, everyday, and deer/moose
i can throw a fishing line out and good chance of catching a fish, go boating at anytime, and take my atv's in the woods (trails) anytime,
most of maine is rural, unspoiled,
the taxes on my house (waterfront) is only 750 a yr.
maine gets a bad rap being a northern cold state, but last december, i was playing golf with my son, and also, this april, i was,, and i do enjoy the snow, have snowmobiles, that we trail-ride with thru the woods, see much wildlife and the air is cool and crisp.
there is very little traffic congestion, or crowds, unless there's an event going on.
this is the place to be if you enjoy outdoor activities, want clean air and friendly people, and especially if you like to be left alone.
ive lived in my town for 15 yrs, have yet to lock my front door, and keep my keys in my car without fear it will be stolen.
i've never had to worry about running into gangs, or a "bad part of town"
i am spoiled, i grew up on the ocean,,,love the open-ness, the salt-air, seafood, and to watch a sunrise and sunset sparkle and fade over the water is incredible.
i can drive my motorcycle up in the mountains of maine, and be awed, by the scenery and vistas, of seeing mountains for 80 miles.
i can go "camping" just about anywheres., have a bonfire in my front yard, go kayaking, or canoeing on a moments notice, dont have to worry about crowds, or getting nickled and dimed for everything you do.
we have great beaches on the ocean, and lakes everywhere to swim,,,,when my son was in his younger teens, we liked to drive around the back roads and jump off the bridges over streams and rivers.(swimming holes)

i believe maine was voted as in the top 5 , as a great place to raise a family, and even retire, i see it firsthand, many are movin to maine to get out of the ratrace, and violence of the big cities. a place where anyone can settle down, feel secure, and enjoy the fresh air, and the outdoors.
Ayup! Well said!

Old 06-21-2007, 08:13 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Each person says their location is the best. Confusing to choose a location!
How would one know where to live if he cant get a clear answer? I have asked many people where I should relocate to and many others have asked the same. Some high crime locations are to be avoided, many people will warn you away from those locations. Other good but "boring" locations some may not recommend but maybe its only boring to some people and therefore an opinion, not fact. I am still gathering my options of good locations and am getting conflicting opinions. The facts are clear but not the opinions. I really want to visit some of those locations.

What makes one location better than the other? Location doesnt seem important to me and alot of other people. Whats more important is jobs(if you want one) shopping, low crime, low pollution and affordable housing. I see lots of expensive locations that dont offer more than cheap locations.
You'll need to ask more specific questions.

"Is Boston a good place to live?" - that's not going to be enough and the answers won't help you.

Rather, ask questions like, "How is the school system in Boston and surrounding counties? How do the counties compare with each other? Do classroom sizes tend to be large or small, and do HS graduates go to good colleges afterwards?"

Old 06-21-2007, 08:37 AM

3,289 posts, read 9,186,341 times
You know, not everyone is tooting their own horn.

Just look at the state of Michigan threads. Most of those can't get out there fast enough, LOL. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics