Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:35 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
But 1997.... weren't they still in that grunge thing?

The Hipsters of that Era seemed more cynical and not as free.

The black frame glasses wearing coffee house serving indie Rock listening thrift store shopping hipsters seemed to make their own in the late 90s and early 2000s.

You do have a point- about the book. Thats why I say 2003 is when Hipsterdom came to its pinnacle. And then after the book came out it was already mainstream. So 2003 was the year of the Hipster.
Yeah - I suppose we consider 'lifestylers' differently. I was thinking of those that has it going on before it was big - didn't do it to be like everyone else. They were the ones that copied the original, then became the ones duplicated...

I still know people doing the Rockabilly/Killbilly thing...perhaps more moderately now that we're all old enough to look foolish and have it matter. I never got in to that myself...too much costume.

I was an eclectic freak from 'teens on, so I never had to worry about trends or labels. I wasn't going to fit in no matter what.

Grunge was already becoming quiet down here by '97, but we weren't ever a mecca. Fickle crowd. I quite enjoyed that crossover (still do, dinosaur that I am). But then everything once again became diluted and mainstreamed, evolving in to the New Alternative, not to be confused with the OLD Alternative (which we sometimes mistakenly called Progressive in the 80's)...

Here the Artistic coffee crowd was solidly 1992-93. Funny how it differs by region. After that, it became the Yuppie thang...that and Sushi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 11:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post

Here the Artistic coffee crowd was solidly 1992-93. Funny how it differs by region. .
heh
I think it differs by generation.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:09 PM

Imitation, flattery and all that...

But it is interesting to note that once reclaimed, a lot of people think of it as their own...forgeting where it came from.

I prefer to remember.

Case in point, what they call PUNK nowadays.

'Tell 'em that IGGY POP started something that certainly looks like a beginning in the 60's and the kids go blank. Waaaaaaaa? That lame song from the commercial? Uhm, NO. Not that one.

My 40's something husband, against his better judgment, occasionally peruses some sort of supposedly adult chat board about said topic. When he dares post something, the children go after him like penicillin on a nasty infection, boldly asking him why HE is there? (Of course, I ask him the same thing.) Old farts, even if card-carrying, are not recognized as being part of this anymore.

Last edited by 33458; 02-21-2007 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: addendum YADDA

Old 02-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
Imitation, flattery and all that...
Yes.
The big thing I keep hearing about now is alt-country. Everything I listen to, I think Neil Young already did back when I was in high school.

I think Rockabilly (and its assorted spin-offs) is really cool, but like you I was never all that comfortable with assembling any kind of costume.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Yes.
The big thing I keep hearing about now is alt-country. Everything I listen to, I think Neil Young already did back when I was in high school.

I think Rockabilly (and its assorted spin-offs) is really cool, but like you I was never all that comfortable with assembling any kind of costume.
Alt country is a bit of a puzzle to me...maybe that was what Garth Brooks REALLY wanted to aim for when he did that...that...thing he did with the alter-ego.

(I'm kidding)

There is a band that I LOVE, that I think might qualify as Alt Country, more to the point; Western, but they escape most definitions. 16 Horsepower. And most amusing (some on this board might suggest variably ironic) is that I am an Atheist and they are very, very religious. Powerful stuff, no matter the message.

Neil Young - seems everyone wants to be Neil Young.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:39 PM

And now back to HIPSTER...

Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
33458 - haha. your story about your husband reminds me of a time a few years back I, and some friends decided to relive our youth and go see Siouxsie and the Banshees when she came through town. I was chatting in the bathroom with a women about the 'good old days" who was in her late 30's wearing (for giggles as she put it) an electric blue wig. A young earnest looking teenager came in and said "that hair is cool, is it real?", to which the woman responded "oh honey, of course not, I'm an accountant", the look of horror and disgust on her face sent us both into peals of laughter.

Sad is the day that kids don't know who Iggy Pop is.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post

Sad is the day that kids don't know who Iggy Pop is.
Real hipsters would know.
Great story, J33.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics