Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 04:09 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,843 times

Advertisements

U.S. Tourist In Costa Rica Kills Mugger

An American senior citizen killed an alleged mugger with his bare hands, and his traveling companions aboard a tour bus fended off two other assailants in the Atlantic coast city of Limon, police said.

The American, who is about 70 years old and retired from the military, put the 20-year-old in a head lock and broke his clavicle after the suspect and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus, said Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 80 miles east of San Jose. The suspect, Warner Segura, was later declared dead, apparently from asphyxiation.

The two other men fled when the 12 senior citizens started defending themselves during the Wednesday attack. Afterward, the tourists drove Segura to the Red Cross where he was declared dead. The Red Cross also treated one of the tourists for an anxiety attack, Hernandez said Thursday.

“The victims struggled with the armed perpetrator, and were able to disarm him. During this process, the gunman’s two accomplices fled the scene. In the course of disarming and restraining the assailant, he died from apparent asphyxiation.”

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 05:30 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,130 times
Ya don't mess with granny cause you never know if she's packin a 45 in that purse, power in numbers.

do you think they drove very slowly to the red cross as they continued on with there tour, mayby did as in the movie bernie.

that sure would have been a great photo shot of the old vet giving that guy a neck adjustment.

retreat hell

Old 02-23-2007, 05:35 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad to hear anyone died, good or bad, but at the same time, I have to respect the fiesty seniors who stood up and defended themselves, refused to be taken advantage of.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Good thing he didn't kill a mugger in Canada; he could have gone to prison for that.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:01 PM

603 posts, read 1,995,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Holy Cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sad to hear anyone died, good or bad, but at the same time, I have to respect the fiesty seniors who stood up and defended themselves, refused to be taken advantage of.
I agree 100%! Sad to see someone actually die, but hey it sends a message doesn't it?!?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:00 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
U.S. Tourist In Costa Rica Kills Mugger

An American senior citizen killed an alleged mugger with his bare hands, and his traveling companions aboard a tour bus fended off two other assailants in the Atlantic coast city of Limon, police said.

The American, who is about 70 years old and retired from the military, put the 20-year-old in a head lock and broke his clavicle after the suspect and two other men armed with a knife and gun held up their tour bus, said Luis Hernandez, the police chief of Limon, 80 miles east of San Jose. The suspect, Warner Segura, was later declared dead, apparently from asphyxiation.

The two other men fled when the 12 senior citizens started defending themselves during the Wednesday attack. Afterward, the tourists drove Segura to the Red Cross where he was declared dead. The Red Cross also treated one of the tourists for an anxiety attack, Hernandez said Thursday.

“The victims struggled with the armed perpetrator, and were able to disarm him. During this process, the gunman’s two accomplices fled the scene. In the course of disarming and restraining the assailant, he died from apparent asphyxiation.”

This is why I have a C.C.W. permit.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:05 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
I see some posters are getting soft here. While I don't advocate a person confronting an attacker the way this "FORMER MARINE" did. The assailant got exactly what he deserved. He brought a weapon into the mix and the marine reacted and stopped a possibly deadly situation for the people on the tour bus. My newspaper said the assailants neck was broken. Too bad...so sad. To him (the marine) I give a bronze star! Maybe the two other creatins that got away are considering a different line of work today, and that's a good thing. Please don't tell me that they are poor people and they would have never done anybody any harm their just trying to survive because I don't buy it. Not for a nickle. My dad had saying that holds true here and that is "don't write a check that your mouth can't cash". No. To those twelve people on the bus I say "JOB WELL DONE".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics