Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:11 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,652,790 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, the war exists here in Britain too. Many councils are putting up 'Happy Holidays' banners instead of 'Merry Christmas' "in case the latter offends foreigners".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 10:14 AM

973 posts, read 3,306,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yeah, it's interesting how one person's opinion, such as concern over a war on Christmas, can be another person's bogus, ill-conceived concept.
Guess your humor was lying under too much other not-so-funny verbiage.
The Sasquatch just seemed sort of random.
But I assure you that my panties are not in a wad.
Looks like we found ourselves a Scrooge, folks! LOL!!! I knew one would slink out of the woodwork.

The "not so funny verbiage" earned plenty of reps though.

Guess you're one of the few who didn't appreciate the humor. Oh well.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Looks like we found ourselves a Scrooge, folks!
How so?
I am curious to know why you think I repudiate Christmas.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
Don't worry, the war exists here in Britain too. Many councils are putting up 'Happy Holidays' banners instead of 'Merry Christmas' "in case the latter offends foreigners".
Well, at least we aren't alone. LOL!

I have a very good friend who doesn't celebrate Christmas because it is against her beliefs. She has the good grace to recognize that many others DO celebrate it and never tries to debate the issue or rain on others parade.
I wish her Merry Christmas each year and she always says the same. She explained to me once that by wishing others a Merry Christmas even though it wasn't her belief, it was acknowledging her respect for our beliefs and her appreciation that others include her in their own celebration.

I thought that was one of the nicest things I'd ever heard.

Have a Merry Christmas across the pond, BTW.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 AM

[quote=BlueWillowPlate;6417367]In my experience, no.
There have already been three different threads about this in this or that forum on CD.
Reading those might enlighten you.
I don't think people are "jealous" about the "majority" celebrating/spending money/decorating for a month.
And if others do have "their" special day, they probably do "go celebrate it," that is, if they happen to have the day off.
quote]

Lets see

I think your first response was snippy and arrogant.
Do you really think telling someone to look at another thread for enlightenment would go over well?

Quote:
Yeah, it's interesting how one person's opinion, such as concern over a war on Christmas, can be another person's bogus, ill-conceived concept.
Guess your humor was lying under too much other not-so-funny verbiage.
The Sasquatch just seemed sort of random.
But I assure you that my panties are not in a wad.
Your next response is rude. Perhaps you don't appreciate my humor. That doesn't bother me in the least but instead of tossing insults, move on to another thread.

Perhaps Scrooge isn't the word I'm looking for. I have another though.....

I'm not wasting anymore time with you BlueWillow. Go opine and insult elsewhere.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,047,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
[i]
There have already been three different threads about this in this or that forum on CD.
Reading those might enlighten you.
I don't think people are "jealous" about the "majority" celebrating/spending money/decorating for a month.
And if others do have "their" special day, they probably do "go celebrate it," that is, if they happen to have the day off.
quote]

Lets see

I think your first response was snippy and arrogant.
Do you really think telling someone to look at another thread for enlightenment would go over well?

Your next response is rude. Perhaps you don't appreciate my humor. That doesn't bother me in the least but instead of tossing insults, move on to another thread.

Perhaps Scrooge isn't the word I'm looking for. I have another though.....

I'm not wasting anymore time with you BlueWillow. Go opine and insult elsewhere.
Whoa.
That certainly does not sound like the spirit of the season.
I *truly* did not see the humor in your first post--EXCUSE me.
As for snippy and arrogant, I am sorry I came off that way to you; I thought you were really interested in the subject but perhaps not.
Apparently you were trying to be light-hearted in your post, but that's not how I took it.
Miscommunication can work both ways.
Feel free to continue your Bah Humbug To Christmas Haters thread without worrying about any more naysaying from me.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:31 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,555,532 times
Quote:
Whoa.
As for snippy and arrogant, I am sorry I came off that way to you; I thought you were really interested in the subject but perhaps not.
Apparently you were trying to be light-hearted in your post, but that's not how I took it.
Feel free to continue your Bah Humbug To Christmas Haters thread without worrying about any more naysaying from me.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,734,592 times
Quote:
Whoa.
Are we sure the OP isn't a troll looking for a fight?

Weird thread....

OP accusing others of having their panties in a bunch, all the while trying to get theirs pulled out of their butt.

What a lousy representation of the Christmas Spirit.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:01 PM

Comments that aren't intended to be offensive to an OP, should be clarified right away, not 4 responses later.

A friend of mine is following this thread also and was surprised at the responses from a previous poster. They had the same reaction I did and viewed the responses as adversarial, not friendly.

It seems to be a BIG communication gap.

Good to see that others took the post in the way it was meant. A little poke at the Christmas naysayers. Too bad the thread has been shot in the foot since we could have all slapped on our Santa hat's and had some fun with it.

In the spirit of Christmas, I will apologize to a previous poster in the event that I mistook their comments in a manner they did not intend.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
Sometimes i really do wish the season would just disappear, it's one of the most depressing times of the year for people who can barely afford to live. But then that wouldn't be fair to everyone else. I started disliking Christmas years ago. But when you have no family to spend it with that happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics