Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

ONLY IN AMERICA:

Only in America...do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front!

Only in America....do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries and a diet coke!

Only in America...do banks leave both doors open and then chain the pens to the counters!

Only in America...do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and! put our useless junk in the garage!

Only in America...do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight

Only in America...do we use the word 'politics' to describe the process so well: 'Poli' in Latin meaning 'many' and 'tics' meaning 'bloodsucking creatures'!

Only in America...do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering!

EVER WONDER...

Why the sun lightens our hair, but darkens our skin?

Why women can't put on mascara with their mouth closed?

Why you never see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?

Why "abbreviated" is such a long word?

Why doctors call what they do "practice"?

Why lemon juice is made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

Why the man who invests all your money is called a broker?

Why the time of day with the slowest traffic is called rush hour?

Why there isn't mouse-flavored cat food?

Why Noah didn't swat those two mosquitoes?

Why they sterilize the needle for lethal injections?

You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
LOL... - So many things to ponder!

Quote:
You know that indestructible black box that is used on airplanes? Why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?!
LOL.. if they made airplanes out of the same stuff, then they wouldn't be called airplanes, they'd be called cruise ships, trains.. or old Chevy trucks!

Actually, airplanes wouldn't fly if they were made out of that same material.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Quote:
Only in America...do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front!
I was at the local Walgreens several times in the last three days and wondered that very thing. Really made me mad to think I had to go all the way to the back of the store. I also was mad when I gave them the prescription from the doctor and they looked at it and said “ it’s be 20 minutes”. Fine I’ll wait. ~ so while I’m not feeling so well I walked all over the store waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Then when I go back up to the counter to see if it’s ready. They looked around found the paper the doctor gave me and started filling out the request. They only had to count 16 pills, put a cap on the bottle and let me pay for it. The whole thing could have been done in 5 minutes.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 AM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL... - So many things to ponder!

LOL.. if they made airplanes out of the same stuff, then they wouldn't be called airplanes, they'd be called cruise ships, trains.. or old Chevy trucks!

Actually, airplanes wouldn't fly if they were made out of that same material.
Good black box info. below. Some are actually made of aluminum exteriors with stiff bracing and gussets for strength. The important stuff that needs protection uses stainless steel.

Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - Airliner Black Boxes

Old 01-13-2009, 07:32 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Good black box info. below. Some are actually made of aluminum exteriors with stiff bracing and gussets for strength. The important stuff that needs protection uses stainless steel.

Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - Airliner Black Boxes
The FDR (Flight Data Recorder) and CVR (Cockpit Voice Recorder) are also placed in a section of the aircraft that is likely to be least affected by a typical crash, which is the tail section of the aircraft. But when you have instances of airliners being flown into buildings, that's a different story. The FDRs and CVRs from the two Boeing 767s, that were flown into the World Trade Center, they were not recovered because they pretty much disintegrated from the intense fires, and the collapse of both towers. The CVR and FDR from the American Airlines Boeing 757 that was flown into the Pentagon, were severly damaged when they were recovered.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Those black boxes are orange - ever wonder?

Old 01-14-2009, 05:37 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Talking Safe place!

If they want a safe place to put the black box, ~ try the lavatory in the back of the aircraft. After the first person uses it NOBODY will enter the room again for the entire flight.

It brings tears to my eyes to think about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics