Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,965,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The winner of the $500,000 lottery drawing came forward Saturday to collect his prize, and the man who will pocket a half-million dollars from a raffle designed to benefit a sex abuse victims charity is a three-time sex offender.

Alec Ahsoak of Anchorage was convicted of sexual abuse of a minor twice in 1993 and once in 2000, according to the Alaska Department of Public Safety Sex Offender/Child Kidnapper Central Registry.

The lottery, which had its drawing Friday night, was conducted by Lucky Times Pull Tabs. State law says all games of chance must benefit charity, and the organization Standing Together Against Rape, or STAR, was the designated beneficiary.
KTUU.com | Alaska's news and information source | Lottery winner is a 3-time sex offender

This is what I call abuse of the system. It has just been noted that the winner has bought this with his new found money:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,237,332 times
The money should be given to his victims. I wonder if he has enough remorse to do that?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 PM

4,343 posts, read 3,561,435 times
Man! Life is just so not fair.

He doesn't deserve one single penny. His victims should receive the winnings. Someone should just make him give it away.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,652,178 times
Life can be a ***** sometimes. They should just have fine print which states that people with certain convictions aren't eligable to play or something. His victims must be feeling sick right now.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM

709 posts, read 1,499,233 times
(1) The justice system should be based on restitution to the victim, not "punishment" (or "free room and three square meals a day", depending on one's perspective) at tax victim's expense.

(2) People who've paid for their crimes should have a chance for a normal life, even murderers.

(3) I refuse to take the current "sex offender" hysteria seriously when it is often applied to victimless crimes. Have consenting sex with a young girl (even if she's 17 years and 364 days old) and neither she nor her parents want to press charges - the government says you're a "sex offender". Walk around your house naked with the windows blinds up, you're a "sex offender". Get caught by a park ranger urinating in the woods - you're a "sex offender". Etc. It has gone too far. No victim, no crime!

Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,677,720 times
Hey I dont like rapists and child molesters any more then the next person but that guy won that lottery fair and square. The money is his and he dont owe STAR or anyone else one thin dime.

I didn't see any clause on those tickets saying that rapists are not eligible to participate or win.

Now if he can turn his life around and be a good citizen we can only hope.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:18 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,347,265 times
Good things happen to bad people. Ain't that some shyt!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:30 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,677,633 times
Holy smokes............

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Hey I dont like rapists and child molesters any more then the next person but that guy won that lottery fair and square. The money is his and he dont owe STAR or anyone else one thin dime.

I didn't see any clause on those tickets saying that rapists are not eligible to participate or win.

Now if he can turn his life around and be a good citizen we can only hope.

Sadly I have to agree!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Somebody explain to me how lottery ticket sales are supposed to be screeened, to make sure that somebody that is not of fine upstanding character does not win. Somebody provide me with a rough draft for a constitutional amendment that will ensure that this never happens again. Somebody provide me with a complete list of all characteristics of all people who are to be deemed ineligible to win a lottery prize. I bet if this guy had a prior conviction for beating a woman to death with a tire iron in the parking lot of a bar at 2-am, there would be absolutely no outcry.

The hysterical crowd who screams bloody murder about every sex offender who is not summarily executed without a trial are the most disgustingly and frighteningly dangerous hjman beings on the planet. You would not think twice about rounding up every sex offender and putting them in cattle cars and running them off to concentration camps and turning on the ovens. And you then say, This is fun, who else can we exterminate? So what do you think makes you any different from the nazis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics