Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times

Advertisements

Why do people exaggerate about their winters in everyway?

I hear common exaggerations like winter lasts 9 months. puhleese. Unless you live in the arctic(or antarctic as a scientist) your winters probably last 2 to 4 months in the USA and 4-6 months in central Canada. Let weather com show the facts:

Pittsburgh, PA:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...90?from=search

The cold is Dec, Jan, Feb and early Mar.

As we go further north to Sioux city, SD

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...43?from=search

The cold begins in Nov and doesnt end till late Mar.

Barrow, AK

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...25?from=search

Now thats a 9 month winter!

The second exaggeration I get is people say oh its soooooo cold its -20. Were are you? Near the arctic? High in the mountains? Otherwise you probably have never experienced a -20 winter. Minuses are exceedly rare in West Virginia and other similar latitude/elevation areas. Charlotte, NC has never gone below 8 degrees(in the last decade, I dont care about some 100 year old record) and in fact its unusual to see temperatures in the teens!

Theres many other ways people exaggerate but those above two I had to get off my chest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 01:52 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Why do people exaggerate about their winters in everyway?

The second exaggeration I get is people say oh its soooooo cold

Theres many other ways people exaggerate but those above two I had to get off my chest.
I guess for the same reason that people exagerate about the summer- it lasts 10 months, soooo hot, I'm sweating every minute of the day.

Some people just like to whine.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:54 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,562 times
I guess when it comes to the cold weather it feels like it is much longer. When I was up in the cooler climate it always seemed like May would never come!

I do not miss the winter snowstorms, wind chill, scraping of the car, and ice storms, thats for sure!

Old 03-14-2007, 01:55 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Have you ever lived anywhere but Florida? You need to get out more man. I've found that the local news or paper never matches temps with what I've actually got in the yard. Temp's can change quite a bit just in terrain changes (humps and hollars). If you just watch the fronts that move in on occasion from Canada, yes many of these places you mentioned do get that cold. Don't rely so heavily on internets and TV. Get out there and experience it for real. Hellooooo...

Old 03-14-2007, 02:10 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I guess for the same reason that people exagerate about the summer- it lasts 10 months, soooo hot, I'm sweating every minute of the day.

Some people just like to whine.

Well in this case its not an exaggeration. I live in the tropics. Up north I only have to deal with 3 hot months. I got the a/c running almost nonstop as I type this reply.

Yes I do need to experience the winters, I did once in Toronto as a little boy but dont remember much except the snow soon melted so it must not have been very cold. My parents like to exaggerate about how bad Toronto is, I did not find it bad. Yes it was pretty chilly but I wasnt freezing, had a coat, long pants, gloves and boots. It does get colder than what I experienced.
Next winter I am gonna visit Oil city again and get a feel for it. Very good chance ill be able to tolerate those relatively mild winters. Will get temperatures as low as 5 degrees and as high as 50 there.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:22 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Well, it's hotter in Jax right now than Palm Beach (82 vs. 80), but as the humidity is relatively low in both places, it's very nice outside. I have my windows open with no paddle fans on and am quite comfortable. I don't consider this hot. It's glorious.

As you have stated on other threads that you are underweight, I think you may have a medical condition. I think you should have your thyroid checked.

What are the symptoms of hyperthyroidism? (excerpted from mednet.com)

The symptoms usually are related to an increase in the metabolic rate of the body. Common symptoms include:

Excessive sweating
Heat intolerance

Old 03-14-2007, 02:31 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,467 times
Good Post I'm from Alberta, Canada (Now living in the US) and I have heard so many WILD exagerations! It is cold that's for sure and it's amazing how fast the body acclimatizes (sp?) Two stories of things I have heard (no joke): 1. I was chatting online and someone asked me if I lived in an igloo (ya our computers run on batteries!) 2. A friend of mine told a story about having to get out of your car once you reach the Canada/US border and put on your parka and climb the wall of ice and people actually, seriously believed it!!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,338 times
NAH. who are you to say they exaggerate? Do you live there? NO. Have you lived there? NO. I've lived up North in Northern N.H. and believe me it's cold no matter how much clothing you have on no to mention how you can't move from the 3 layers of clothing you have on or that morning you wake up with a sheet of ice covering your car making it impossible to even get in it. Sure the weatherman may say it's such and such temperature but even here in FL the town next to me is always 5 degrees cooler. 5 degrees is a big deal when your talking colder weather. it's the difference between icing or not. when things starting freezing, it makes the air colder just as well as when the sun heats up the ground in FL, it makes it hotter. You seem to believe every statistic you find online. Maybe you ought to change your business to some kind of statistic relations since your always on top of these things.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:48 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
We rarely get below zero fahrenheit in this part of Missouri. I think it happened maybe twice on two nights in January. I think it's fairly common to have single digit overnight lows and we had a long stretch of teens and twenties through most of January and February. Today is 75F and the daffodils are blooming! I even washed my sheepskin leather slippers because they stunk so bad and I figured if I washed them, they'd either survive or not, but if they did, I'd put them out in the sun to dry! They did! And they smell good now too
Our winter has been exceptionally cold this year, from most of November through the first week of March.
Last year, or in Jan. of 2006, I had pansies blooming in my front garden. What a difference a year makes!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:00 PM

669 posts, read 3,193,340 times
Well NAH, Why do you CONSTANTLY moan about the heat?

I was trying to stay civil, but this thread is RIDICULOUS.

You can't say ANYTHING about cold weather just because you've visited. It's a whole different ballgame when you live in it. You think statistics should replace real people telling you the truth.

People could tell you that Oil City is slowly sinking into the ground and will disappear in 20 years, and as long as the stats didn't say so, you wouldn't care.

I don't understand your attitude. Real people tell you real facts and you ignore it when one person tells you what you want to hear.

I don't think people exaggerate about the cold, and I think what drives us all nuts is YOU moaning about the heat 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics