Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 05:22 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,054,299 times

Advertisements

Early this morning ~1:30am, three people lost their lives in Illinois outside of St Louis, near Edwardsville. A driver going wrong direction on slammed head-first into their vehicle - as they were traveling due to the lady's granma's funeral.

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of those that perished. I really am trying to understand how our legal & checks-balances system allowed this person to be driving. All of these offenses [1987-2001], and still able to get behind the wheel. I hate to pass judgment w/o knowing all of the pertinent facts, but right now IMHO hades will be too good for him. Yea, I know this is not an isolated incident - which makes it even harder to accept; what can be done?

02/05/2009 - Wrong-way driver in Illinois kills two adults, one child - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/commutingtraffic/story/7383E16B979F9B50862575540042CFCD?OpenDocument#tp_n ewCommentAnchor - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,023,591 times
I don't know, but it's always sad when this kind of thing happens. We have a lot of elderly people in my area who mistakenly enter the freeway on the wrong side despite the huge DO NOT ENTER signs and take people out. My own brother was killed in a head-on collision 8 years ago when someone was passing people over double yellow lines and on a curve. Since this happened in my own family, I am always looking and hopefully prepared.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:45 PM

36,411 posts, read 16,018,728 times
Drunk driving is stupidity and yet we still give them license

Old 02-05-2009, 09:07 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,124 times
I have never understood the free pass(es) given to DUI drivers, especially those involved in collisions. What I find even infuriating is, even when they KILL innocents, they often walk away. Disgusting.

My heart goes out to that family, and particularly to the little girl.

As a side note, I've often wondered why we don't install wrong-way spike strips on highway exit ramps. As long as you're going in the proper direction (exiting), no harm. However, drive over them in the wrong direction and BAM flat tires.

It may cause inconvenience (and, of course, it would be expensive) but it could save lives.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:03 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,569,084 times
After reading the entire article, I am disgusted with a judicial system that would have given this monster a license even after the 1st offense. His record just shows that something like this horrible tragedy would occur sooner or later.

Can only hope and pray that the young girl will physically recover soon and then receives the help she will need for many years to heal emotionally, if possible.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:13 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,529,778 times
As long as the currents laws are on the books, this will continue to happen. It's really sad.

The cops arrest people all day long and the courts set them free.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,669,885 times
I am not normally a defender of our legal system but in this case he didn't have a license. Unfortunately you don't need a license to drive. You need one to drive legally. That's where the legal system fails. The only way to keep this from happening again is jail time for offenders.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:40 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,054,299 times
Latest news on this scum... 02/06/2009 - Driver in crash near Edwardsville had long record of drunken driving - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/E432DDBBEB914BD186257555001475FA?OpenDocument - broken link)

It will be a day not too soon to have improved means to track and monitor the kinds of offenses such a person as this has - make it easier for the varied states and jurisdictions to follow and then hopefully prosecute these trashes to full extent of the law. I can understand certain traffic offenses being minimized, but such as what he had, these number of times - where is the thinking of the courts? Why do innocents die, and then something is done? Maybe this can be a wake-up call to others,,, don't drink/drive, be extremely careful of idiots on the road, improve/strengthen prosecution and court and DMV systems.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I am not normally a defender of our legal system but in this case he didn't have a license. Unfortunately you don't need a license to drive. You need one to drive legally. That's where the legal system fails. The only way to keep this from happening again is jail time for offenders.
Sadly not even going to jail stops repeated offenders from getting behind a wheel to drive again. I think they should have to wear lifetime loud alarm that goes off when they are behind a wheel of a running vehicle. The only way to shut it off would be by a cop coming to use a key on it.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:35 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,854,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
This is digusting, I don't know how else you can stop somebody, who's had several DUI convictions from driving, other than put him away for good, or at least confiscate his vehicle.

It's unfortunate that sometimes it takes a terrible tragedy like this to put this guy away for good, and I hope no public defender tries to keep him out of prison.

One other thing that always makes me wonder, drunk drivers often kill innocent people, but they always walk away unharmed, or with minor injuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics