Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: An error is made in your favor you would?
Do nothing if it’s under $5 0 0%
Do nothing if it’s under $10 0 0%
Do nothing if it’s under $50 0 0%
Do nothing if it’s under $100 0 0%
Do nothing if it’s under $500 0 0%
I’d pay the difference no matter what 18 81.82%
Don’t care it’s their mistake 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 09:18 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times

Advertisements

What would you do

An error is made in your favor, do you correct the error by bringing it to someone’s attention? Or do you leave and forget about the issue? Will it depend on the type of error or mistake, or will it be the dollar amount of the error that was made?

Simple things like you paid for a small drink and got a large one without being charged for it? Or you stayed at a hotel/motel and had a room for two but the desk clerk billed you for only one? What would you do and why?

How about a test that you took and you got all but one question correctly answered correctly. Then when the instructor is going over the test ~ you find that his missed two or three more that you had not answered correctly. What do you do? Take the higher score he gave you or maybe fail the test by being honest and bringing it to his attention?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 12:04 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,933 times
I always have and will be honest about these things for two reasons. First and foremost I believe in Karma. Second, I live in a small town and what if they realized later on???

Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 AM

947 posts, read 3,409,000 times
WOW, lots and lots of Honest people here! I think that is Grrrrreat!

oh... only 4 people voted so far... so guess We'll see!

Last edited by need4Trees; 02-25-2009 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: opps.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:00 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,115 times
I always correct their mistake. A person could lose their job for making cash drawer mistakes. The only way I would probably consider otherwise is if they are extremely rude people, then I wouldn't care.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:05 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,507 times
My biggest error find was at a computer store. I saw a complete (tower, monitor, mose, keyboard and printer) set up. Someone marked it $19.99. I wasn't out to but a computer, but none the less I got the manager and pointed it out. I do know people that would bring it to the register and demand it at the price it was marked. I just feel it would have been like stealing if I had tried to buy it...Or if I let it go un noticed it would have been a cruel prank to play at the stores expense.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,028,365 times
I always give the money back if I was given too much. It has happened a few times.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:01 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,696,510 times
Always in my heart, honesty is the best policy no matter what!!!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:29 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
For the most part, I would correct their mistake....if I notice.

The soft drink example is why my answer isn't completely true. I probably wouldn't notice if I got a large instead of medium cuz I never pay attention to the cup sizes.
Room rate I would have assumed I was quoted wrong in the 1st place.

Other than that, I've worked in the cashier's position and know the consequenses, so I would give the $$ back. And have done so many times.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:11 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
It kind of depends on when and where the error is discovered. A couple of weeks ago we were shopping at the "local" big box store where they were having double coupon days. When we got home, we discovered they had doubled one of our $1.50 coupons twice. We didn't do anything about it because it is a 21 mile round trip to that "local" store. Conversely, there have been times when, upon getting home, we discovered that we had been "charged" twice for a particular item. Let that one go for the same reason. If we discover it while still at the store, we will make the correction.

As for the test scores, I recently retired after more than 30 years in the classroom. (NO-NOT as a student, although I learned a lot) My students soon understood my policy. If I made a mistake grading papers where I missed marking something wrong that I should have AND they brought it to my attention, I did not change their grade down because of their honesty. If I marked something wrong that was correct and they pointed it out to me, I would make the correction in their score to reflect what they actually earned.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:54 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
We just had this happen to us. A business owner gave us cash because it looked liked the ATM billed us but didn't give us the money. Sure enough our statement didn't show the transaction going through. We went back to the business and gave them the money. The guy was flabbergasted at our honesty. It made us and him feel good. To me that feeling is worth more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics