Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:59 AM

393 posts, read 1,881,303 times

Advertisements

This is something I have been thinking about alot lately, life is sooooo short nowadays and people around me have been dying daily it seems. How do u leave these people behind, never to see them again.......!!! I know u always say u will visit or write, but we all know that sometimes this just doesn't happen. Don't you ever think about all the people u know, and wonder if they are alive, and well? or what they are doing with their lives? I guess because I have met a multitude of people, I feel like I am going to lose yet another multitude with another move. My friend here told me that I can take her with me in my heart, just the sound of that makes me want to cry!!
I guess leaving people behind is pretty much like death ha? U know u will never see them again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 03:27 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,402,482 times
I think that it's harder to leave your family behind. Leaving our freinds and family is one of the biggest things keeping us here. Our jobs is another one. When I moved from one house to another, in the same city, we hardly ever saw our old neighbors again. I think that since our lives are so hectic, we just meet the new neighbors and establish a friendship. It's definately hard leaving, but the excitement of a new place and all the stress of the move helps you adjust. The mind is a powerful thing. I guess that each person is different and will handle things differently. I would love to move now but I'm stuck for the time being. Good Luck!

Old 03-19-2007, 05:50 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,778,572 times
The thing that makes it easier is email. I just moved recently but email back & forth almost everday with friends and my mother. Of course it's not the same as seeing them but even when we were living close we would only be able to get together once in awhile. When we did it was for a few hours, now when we get together it will be for a couple days at a time because of the distance between us.

Don't think you will never see them again, you just have to make a real effort to stay in touch. Life is too short and to stay in the same place forever and not experience different things or meet new people is limiting.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 AM

373 posts, read 1,853,234 times
I don't care to keep in touch with people who have moved away. I feel like I have friends to spend time with, to chat, to do activities, and I can't do those things when they've gone. It's just too much work and not enough reward to try to take vacations, email all the time, etc. I just try and remember the good times we had and keep it at that. I just make new friends. It does seem like the old ones died, so I get what the person who started the thread was saying. I think trying to hold onto those old relationships is kind of getting stuck in the past.

My sister moved away about six years ago, and it's been very hard for me. She wants to experience "new things." However, my parents are getting older, and I know she will someday regret not having spent time with them as an adult. I also feel the burden of having to be the person who gets the responsibility of dealing with aging parents, but I also get to spend time with them. So, to some people, "new things" are more important than family relationships, and to others, family is more important.

The funny thing is that she doesn't think the two things are mutually exclusive. She thinks that she still has a great relationship with me and that this is all fine and good. But, I don't feel the way about her that I used to because she left us. So, while I still love her, I don't feel like I can count on her at all. I just deal with her, but I resent her for caring more about going out and having fun than spending time with our aging parents.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
It was hard to leave my family and friends in Ireland. The good thing is that i can call home for about 2cents a minute to my family, and i regularly do webcam and VOIP with my friends too. Its very hard to do, but after a while when you settle into your new life it does get easier.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:10 AM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
We are going to move (soon I hope) from Texas to Tennessee. No family or friends there. Sure I will miss them but I agree with Rapture, like is too short not to go for what we really want.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:47 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
Leaving behind neighbors to relocation,is one thing. Having loved ones die is a whole different story . I lost my brother (best friend) on Dec. 31st,2004 and can tell you it was the hardest experience of my life. I would give a million dollars just to spend another week with him right now! A.L.S took him, so he was only a shell of a man-I miss him deeply. Thanks and God Bless.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:58 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
All hung up in the past? Only if you make it the past or get hung up. My friends are my friends where ever I go. My real friends are still my friends 20 years later. And I have new friends too. Whenever possible I try to introduce them to each other. It makes for a nice social network that stretches all over the world.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:58 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
7th generation...my condolences on the loss of your brother to ALS. What a horrible disease. My daughter is on a swim team and for the past few years we have had a charity swim to benefit ALS, a swimmer on the team lost and uncle this past fall to ALS. My heart goes out to you.
I aggree, leaving friends is nothing like leaving family.
When I moved from NY to Pa, it was one of the hardest things I have ever done, basically all the good-byes right at the end, very emotionally draining. And probably because deep down inside you know it is over, they never stay the same, those kind of friendships.
But the upside was I was movibf to Pa, right near my parents, who I had not lived near since before I was married. My 2 kids were going to have grandma and grandpa right near them. Eventually my brother moved here and started his family here, so we are all together.
I could never live far from my parents. Sooner or later parents need the help of their children, and I want to be there for that.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,426,329 times
You hit the nail right on the head Pa. My mother had a heartattack in '99 and I hadn't been around her or Dad since my 18th birthday. I sold my business in a flash to come back east to take care of her. Wouldn't have had it any other way. There is always one family member that ultimately care for their aging parents. In retrospect it is not the caregiver who is better then the other siblings, nor the other siblings who shirk these duties-it's just the way it is! No complaints here, I love my life. Take care and God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics