U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:00 PM

2,078 posts, read 6,195,961 times

Advertisements

Here's an opinion/suggestion. Do away all wages. Everyone works for a better humanity and ourselves, the greater good for civilization. Sounds radical. But it could better this part of the world. Get rid of the mentality of "What the Jones' have" Not the utopia everyone dreams about, but a civilization that betters itself by education, compassion, cooperation.....
Just talking.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 06:40 PM

140 posts, read 512,431 times
Sounds good to me. Everyone is good at something, so they can use their talents in place of money.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,586,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Here's an opinion/suggestion. Do away all wages. Everyone works for a better humanity and ourselves, the greater good for civilization. Sounds radical. But it could better this part of the world. Get rid of the mentality of "What the Jones' have" Not the utopia everyone dreams about, but a civilization that betters itself by education, compassion, cooperation.....
Just talking.....
This always fails because the people who work hardest and most efficiently and the people who are innovate end up supporting everyone else, leaving them little incentive to continue working hard. Would you want to work for free or for no money? Work takes effort; it is not fun and it's hard, and people don't want to do it unless they receive wealth in return. It's very understandable and it's basic human nature.

The other problem is that the people who are being supported by the hard workers have little incentive to work harder. Why work harder when the state is providing for you?

Old 04-04-2007, 04:27 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,586,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCutter View Post
I hear your concern for men, Bhaalspawn, but the choices we as women have today are in place BECAUSE many men didn't want to take responsibility for the children they helped produce. Why are there so many forms of birth control for women and very few for men?
Good question. Sadly, pharmaceutical companies haven't wanted to conduct research into a "male pill". It's also possible that it's just harder to develop a pill for men. Condoms can break and thus are not real reliable. If an affordable and effective male pill were developed, it would probably reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, at least for men, to zero. I'd take it.

I'm not convinced that the reason women fought to legalize abortion was because men didn't want to pay child support. Perhaps that was a component of it, but I doubt it was the driving force. Ironically, now that women have the real choice, it's not surprising that indignant men don't want to pay for women's choices to birth irresponsibly.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:37 AM

140 posts, read 512,431 times
As I said before, responsibility lies with both men and women. We have to make the decisions we make because we are the ones who have to carry the baby, and be the main caregiver afterwards. If men could get pregnant as easil as women could, laws would be very, very different. What would you do if you were pregnant and your partner did not want to help you take care of it?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 676 times
The answer to poverty is very simple. It is obedience to the "Greatest Commandments". We are put here on earth to love God and God says the way we all can survive equally is to, "Love the poor first then each other as ourselves!" Love is risking something of ones self for another. Such as the example of Jesus dying on the cross for our sins, the greatest act of love. Best deffinition of a neighbor is, " anyone who has a need YOU can fulfill," that is your neighbor.

There is something obviously wrong with the way the poor think. Those who are not poor should take pitty on those who are and mentor them and help them in whatever way they need to so they may become self-siufficient also.

I have a homeless ministry where my wife and I and some volunteers have helped over 3500 homeless and 75% of them are self-sufficient now, in 6 years. They may be living in the slums but at least they are paying their own bills and have food, clothing, transportation and housing. With further Love from others they can have a better life after more mentoring. The Bible is right the answer is not just throwing money at the situation like the Gov. is doing but actually showing the Love of God to the poor!

Thanks,
Paul( [email]paulwkruse@centurytel.net[/email])

Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM

14,810 posts, read 15,117,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul W. Kruse View Post
The answer to poverty is very simple. It is obedience to the "Greatest Commandments". We are put here on earth to love God and God says the way we all can survive equally is to, "Love the poor first then each other as ourselves!" Love is risking something of ones self for another. Such as the example of Jesus dying on the cross for our sins, the greatest act of love. Best deffinition of a neighbor is, " anyone who has a need YOU can fulfill," that is your neighbor.

There is something obviously wrong with the way the poor think. Those who are not poor should take pitty on those who are and mentor them and help them in whatever way they need to so they may become self-siufficient also.

I have a homeless ministry where my wife and I and some volunteers have helped over 3500 homeless and 75% of them are self-sufficient now, in 6 years. They may be living in the slums but at least they are paying their own bills and have food, clothing, transportation and housing. With further Love from others they can have a better life after more mentoring. The Bible is right the answer is not just throwing money at the situation like the Gov. is doing but actually showing the Love of God to the poor!

Thanks,
Paul( paulwkruse@centurytel.net)

The Salvation Army helps these people, too.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,481 posts, read 6,662,823 times
I like the idea of a drug test on anyone who applies or continues to get that assistance.

just throwing that in there

Old 03-11-2011, 11:52 AM

25,082 posts, read 15,318,585 times
I certainly don't like the idea of the government enabling drug abuse, but I despise a system that is designed to keep a segment of the population from equal opportunities to prosper. The goal of welfare is not to give a hand up to economic empowerment, but to sustain one's economic limitations. The unfortunate consequence is an "entitled" sub-culture with an impoverished mentality conditioned to see no other way to survive beyond a government check- fueling the cycle of poverty for generations. If drug testing will solve this problem I am all for it, but test the rich and powerful too. They're in a far better position to mismanaged and outright steal public funds than welfare recipients. I think Wall Street and cooperate America got the bailouts. Seems like the poor got no way out. The answer to poverty is meaningful opportunity structures early enough to offset social ills. IMHO I suppose the rich could pay their fair share too

Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 30,373,171 times
Angry Welfare isn't bad if you're a corporation.

Corporate welfare isn’t doing too bad! Bank of America, GE, CityBank, ExxonMobile, and Shell combined didn’t pay any tax earnings even though they profited in 100s of billions last year. Reminds me April 15 is coming and I’ve got paperwork to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics