Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s)

Bonus Question:

Do you have any unusual driving issues ?
(for example: Turning down the radio if your looking for a specific address)

Extra Credit Question:

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ?

Just for Fun:

What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home ?

Driving issues? Yeah. I dont turn down the radio while looking for an address, I keep on playing. Like silence going to make a difference. I turn it on from the time I leave point A till I get to point B. Silence would make me crazy.
We dont have any strange neighbours, out here. Everyone pretty much covers each others' backs and we live in an area where we leave the back sliding door open a bit all day, whether we're home or not for the dog to get in and out to do her business. Heck, sometimes we leave our front door open with the screen unlocked, and have never been bothered. (Can ya do that in L.A.??)
I remember that big ol black phone. There were no colour choices back then, the rotary dial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 07:54 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Today's Question(s)

What was the last meeting you went to ? Church Council last Wednesday night.

Did they served snacks ? Nope. but we did discuss the cake for our upcoming 150th anniversary.

Bonus Question:

(for example: Turning down the radio if your looking for a specific address) None that I am aware of. I probably do, but they don't seem unusual to me.

Extra Credit Question:

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ? I don't, but I know for a fact that my neighbors do.
Just for Fun:

What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home ? Wooden box on the wall with a separate earpiece on one side and a crank on the other. Our number was 26-4. If you wanted to call anyone not n your party line, you had to "ring" the operator. I told you in that other thread I was older than dirt.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:36 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Today's Question(s)
What was the last meeting you went to ?

General type meeting, kids Cub Scouts Pack meeting a week ago
Adult meeting: One with the school to plan next year for one of my sons. 2 weeks ago

Did they served snacks ?
Cub Scouts: yes
School: yes actually.

Bonus Question:

I usually let the vehicles rear-end hang out around a corner during the winter. DW hates it with a passion, kids love it.

Extra Credit Question:
Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ?

Not here. Had one in Maine that built a 10' tall fence with old store shelves and cardboard, then blamed the local TV news crews of stealing his land in Canada on a big sign tacked to his gate by the road. Neighbor across the road at the same location has a small hobby farm with ducks, goats, cows, and pigs. Whenever one would get out of the fence he would just shoot it and yell. I was SOOOOO glad to get out of that freaky-deaky location. My house was nice and in a nice location 95 acres right on the river but the fruit loops down the road made it hard to enjoy.

Just for Fun:
What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home ?

rotary dial, desk type with a cord about 2" long it seemed on a party line. We were styling when Mom and Dad moved up and spent the big bucks for a wall phone with a 25' cord

Now I wander all over the 1/2 acre yard I have in town with a cordless digital phone that sounds better than those old corded ones did. Not to mention the cell phones we have, doesn't seem right the changes made in such a short time.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:57 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
What was the last meeting you went to ?
Grange meeting (Grange Master)
Did they served snacks ?
YES
Bonus Question:

None known

Extra Credit Question:

yES

Just for Fun:

What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home
Rotary

[/b]

Today in History:
1743 - It was the first London performance of Handel’s "Messiah", and King George II was in the audience. In the middle of the "Hallelujah Chorus, the King rose to his feet in appreciation of the great piece! The entire audience followed suit out of respect for the King. And so began the custom of standing during the singing of the "Hallelujah Chorus".
1839 - 1st recorded use of "OK" [oll korrect] (Boston's Morning Post)
1912 - Dixie Cup invented
1929 - 1st telephone installed in White House

Word of the Day:
spoonerism \SPOO-nuh-riz-uhm\, noun:
The transposition of usually initial sounds in a pair of words.
Example:
A well-boiled icicle ["well-oiled bicycle"]
Let me sew you to your sheet ["show you to your seat"]

Today is:
National Melba Toast Day
National Chip and Dip Day
National Puppy Day
World Turtle Day
Near Miss Day[/quote]

Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
MG

Better get tea and crumpets too.
lol Stude I would love to have a 1957 MGTD so I could go to those MG meetings

But alas the MG = Master Gardener

Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,083 times
Today's Question(s)

What was the last meeting you went to ? Neighborhood meeting (it's held once a month).

Did they served snacks ? Always and even sometimes full meals

Bonus Question:

(for example: Turning down the radio if your looking for a specific address) You've ridden with me haven't you?

Extra Credit Question:

Do you have any unique,strange or wacky neighbors that we would love hearing about ? I think I'm the wacky neighbor. I talk to the animals more than I do the people. And I DO greet strangers with pleasentness if they are walking by.

Just for Fun:

What was the first type of phone you remember having in your home ? Basic rotery phone from the 50's / 60's.

Today in History:

1743 - It was the first London performance of Handel’s "Messiah", and King George II was in the audience. In the middle of the "Hallelujah Chorus, the King rose to his feet in appreciation of the great piece! The entire audience followed suit out of respect for the King. And so began the custom of standing during the singing of the "Hallelujah Chorus".
1839 - 1st recorded use of "OK" [oll korrect] (Boston's Morning Post) Thanks; I have always wondered what that stood for.
1912 - Dixie Cup invented
1929 - 1st telephone installed in White House Is that to say the first family had the first phone?

Word of the Day:
spoonerism \SPOO-nuh-riz-uhm\, noun:
The transposition of usually initial sounds in a pair of words.
Example:
A well-boiled icicle ["well-oiled bicycle"]
Let me sew you to your sheet ["show you to your seat"]

Today is:
National Melba Toast Day
National Chip and Dip Day
National Puppy Day
World Turtle Day
Near Miss Day

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics