Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think?
No don’t sell them off 13 81.25%
Yes sell the roads and get the money 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:55 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

How would you feel about your state government or the federal selling parts of their highway systems and roads to gain revenue? Most states are low or running low on money, they have assets that the state or federal government could sell to private investors.

Private investors would then turn these roads and highways into toll roads. They would be responsible to maintain and keep them in good working order for the commuters who need to use them. All profits from the toll would be kept by the private company and their investors. The state/fed makes money selling them off, and saves money not having to maintain them any longer.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
No.

With our luck GM and Chrysler will buy them and we all know how that will work out.

Besides if they put tolls on those roads we will all take the side roads and they'll turn to crap, too.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
I don't like it one bit, I alredy pay taxes for road maintenance and they sure wont give that back or take it off, nope don't like that one bit.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Well, we have a privately run Toll Road going through Orlando and a portion of Florida. It's a toss up between having to pay whatever they choose to charge and knowing you have a great route available to save time on a well maintained highway. I guess the positives and the negatives could be discussed till the cows come home.....but they will come home faster on the private owned road.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:43 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
It's a way of life in Chicago. Chicago Skyway, a toll road, is privately owned. All the parking meters in Chicago are privately owned. That is creating real problems. Drivers' anger over meters boiling over into a boycott :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Carol Marin (http://www.suntimes.com/news/marin/1493738,CST-EDT-Carol25.article - broken link)

Now the czar, I mean mayor wants to sell the airports. And the fun goes on

Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
As a trucker, I've been following this debate closely. Most of us in the trucking industry think it's a bad deal from many perspectives. As Roaddog's already pointed out; we the people have already paid to have 'em built. Letting a private entity maintain them raises LOTS of questions; Would the toll increases be reasonable? What happens if the private company goes belly up? Will they be able to do things like prevent a state from building competing free routes i.e. a state highway that runs paralell to the toll road? Could the company force the state to install traffic lights on nearby U.S. & state highways to make them less attractive to motorists?

I don't like the idea at all!!!

Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
If the typical household needs more income to run it, people cut back in services and goods that they buy from others, they cut back on most everything they can. They try to create more income coming into the family budget however when this isn’t met they then start selling off part of their assets, first the collection of old 45rpm records, then the extra HD TV, next they sell some of the clothing, one by one things start getting sold off from their home. Governments (local & fed) aren’t any different. We’re going to see government owned land being sold, then it will be items like roads, state parks, federal land (old military bases) and national treasures like parks, roads and highways well go. They are too costly to maintain and it brings in money.

Just thinking

Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I hadn't heard about this but it could be because I haven't read about it yet. I worked for the state highway department in Kentucky for 26 years. Some districts in the state contract out a lot of the work to save money. Sounds funny to have so many workers on your payroll state wide and it's cheaper to hire private contractors. The state maintains federal highways (in this part of the state that would be US 45, US 41 and 41A, US 68, US 62, etc.) and is reimbursed by the federal government. In this part of the state we still do the snow and ice removal. If it gets bad they do have contracts with local farmers with tractors that have front wheel assist with a 12 ft. blade. In eastern and northern Kentucky we have heard they contract out the snow and ice removal but one year the contractor's drivers refused to go out. Said it wasn't safe! Did it many years for it not to be safe! lol

Old 04-05-2009, 12:01 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
How would you feel about your state government or the federal selling parts of their highway systems and roads to gain revenue? Most states are low or running low on money, they have assets that the state or federal government could sell to private investors.

Private investors would then turn these roads and highways into toll roads. They would be responsible to maintain and keep them in good working order for the commuters who need to use them. All profits from the toll would be kept by the private company and their investors. The state/fed makes money selling them off, and saves money not having to maintain them any longer.

What do you think?
HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........We already have TOO many Toll roads in OK!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:41 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
If they are taking free roads and turning them into toll roads I would oppose it. If they are turning an existing toll road, poorly maintained, run by an inefficient govt, bloated with high paid politicians who sell contracts to their supporters. Sell it get the cash and let someone who knows what they are doing run it. I'm from Illinois, where politicians are so crooked they get screwed into the ground when they die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics