U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,794,625 times

Advertisements

My happy today is the medical miracles that allow so many of us to enjoy a relatively pain-free existence.

A century ago, strep throat or a urinary tract infection had no effective remedy. Parents watched in anguish as a beloved child screamed from the pain of infected ears or tonsils. Joints eroded by arthritis or injury simply immobilized the sufferer, with no means of actually restoring a limb to mobility.

We haven't eradicated pain by any means, but there are a whole lot of folks who are suffering an awful lot less than was the case 100 years ago. And that makes me very, very happy.

What is your happy this April day, on this or any other topic?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 AM

33,518 posts, read 14,314,674 times
My "happy" is it's going to be 74 today and I get to enjoy it until 5pm when I go to work!!! I have been craving the sun lately! Guess I have a vitamin D shortage or something

Old 04-05-2009, 08:47 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,644,376 times
Medical miracles make me happy every day!! We are so blessed to have the wonderful medical care we do in this country. It is heart breaking it isn't available to everyone.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,552,218 times
I am thankful for phone lines today and the long distance included packages...remember when you had to wait for the rates to drop before you could call anyone and you still got a huge bill anyway?
I'm planning a trip to Ohio for Easter, and it's great to be able to just call and ask my mom about things...and I guess I should add modern transportation, which allows us all to see each other!

Old 04-05-2009, 09:11 AM

25,717 posts, read 25,856,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I am thankful for phone lines today and the long distance included packages...remember when you had to wait for the rates to drop before you could call anyone and you still got a huge bill anyway?
I'm planning a trip to Ohio for Easter, and it's great to be able to just call and ask my mom about things...and I guess I should add modern transportation, which allows us all to see each other!

Heck yeah. I totally agree. Theres still issues with roaming charges overseas but at least we have that now.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 PM

6,351 posts, read 20,479,276 times
We got new toilets Friday!!! Our 31 year-old house is in great shape, but the "little" things are popping up now that we've ben here 7 years. We have a plumbing service that does an annual "walkthru" and checks plumbing items. When he noted corrosion on the bathroom faucets and told him the toilets were slow to flush, he recommended new fixtures and commodes. Wasn't cheap, but we have nice new (and easier to sit on!) toilest and new faucets in both bathrooms! Ahhhh...

Old 04-07-2009, 02:14 AM
bjh

45,158 posts, read 27,121,665 times
Yes, I'm glad for modern healthcare too.

So many things we don't even think about. None of us really knows if a vaccine or antibiotic saved our lives or not. If we'd lived a hundred years prior and things had to take their course... It reminds me of something one of the best prof.s I had said (his subject was microbiology).

He said: "Disease ends in one of two ways: resolution or death."

Yikes! He was right even today, but we have MUCH better odds than we used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics