Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:19 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times

Advertisements

People who give directions that only include street names, neglecting to mention things like " there is no street sign " when it would have been incredibly helpful to say something like third right after the bridge....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,740 times
Good morning AliceT. It could be worse. Try this:

Go about five minutes down the road and make the left at the McGinty house, then go six or seven miles until the next to last traffic light, then make a right where the gas station used to be.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:34 AM

Good Morning Charley!

Oh I have had directions like that, too. They are preferable to the ones that are strictly by street names when there are no street signs.

Incidentally, I am on a street that has a name but nobody really cares what you call it. There are people who list their street address on their checks with Main St, Mountain Blvd, Mountaineer Way, Miracle Rd, a state route (it runs near by but is not also this road), oh and the actual road street name which is none of the above. How they manage to put a false street name imprinted on their checks is beyond me.

Oh, and the street has no street sign to prove anyone right or wrong.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:57 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Network "Local News" programs that cannot turn on the right microphone or show the correct video clip. The last 3 days have been particularly bad. Weather man/lady standing there talking with no sound. Voices talking over video clips that are not remotely related.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:59 AM

947 posts, read 2,399,166 times
Good morning!! How are yall today?

I am one of those people who give bad directions! LOL most of the time I do not know the street name but I know something around it like a store or something!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Heck, Alice, some of my best trucking stories involve poor (or no) directions!!! You haven't lived until you sit, in your 13' 6" tall truck, in front of of an 11' 4" bridge in a large city with impatient car drivers behind you! Before our company got GPS navigation, we relied on directions input by customers or drivers (some with limited command of the English language...) On top of that, everything was abbreviated since the company was charged on a per-character basis for messages.

My other related peeves: Buinesses and homeowners that don't have a company name or address clearly visible from the street. couple that with the above poor directions and you have some REAL fun...

Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 AM

Lemme tell ya what I think of the GPS units that try to direct someone who is really not a confident driver - on interior mountain roads of WV! There are a whole heap of bridges in WV that don't look like they could support a child pulling a little red wagon - much less the full size passenger van I am driving! And of course, there is no room to turn the thing around by the time you are faced with the prospect of going across this barely there bridge.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:29 AM

947 posts, read 2,399,166 times
I heard this man was using his GPS and ran into a store. The GPS told him to turn right. He had to see the building but he turned into it anyways because the GPS told him too! Now come on!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,827 times
No street signs really blow my mind.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:48 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
People who give directions that only include street names, neglecting to mention things like " there is no street sign " when it would have been incredibly helpful to say something like third right after the bridge....

Lol, I know of those roads with no street signs, especially out in the country! Go down to the 3rd dirt road, there will be a red ribbon tied to the bush on the corner, take a right, go down about a half mile to the abandoned shack, take another right, go down about 2 miles and youll come to my trailer, itll be on the left......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics