Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:53 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

For years I would "hunt and pecked" when I typed. I used just three fingers and looked at the keys when I typed. I got up to 25 WPM.

Finally I decided as one of my New Years Resolutions that I would learn how to type the right way. That was in 2005. For the last 2 1/2 years I have been spending two hours a day practicing my typing. I have used Mavis Beacon teaches typing. I took a class at a community college and have practiced on the Internet using typing games. I have made progress, I am up to 30 WPM. I use all the right keys, the correct techniques and no longer have to look at the keys. But I am still so slow.

How long did it take you to type 60WPM if you started as a hunt and peck typist? What is wrong with me, why can't I type fast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 02:28 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
I learned in a typing class actually typing classes years ago. A keyboarding class is almost the same thing.

It took a while, but I was slow. I knew men and women who could type 90 wpm - now that is just beyond me. :-)

Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I have no idea how fast I type, but it's reasonably fast. I took typing for 2 years in high school. Just keep practicing and no peeking!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:07 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
im a henpecker,,,,

Old 04-04-2007, 05:11 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Get a good typing tutor. I can type without looking at the keyboard pretty quickly. Its just a matter of getting used to it. Everybody was terrible when they first started.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:08 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
If you're up to it Linux comes with free typing tools, used one the other day, I did pretty well on it.

Typing fast isn't anything, typing correct is the big thing these days. It's hard to find people who can type correctly no matter how fast they type.

Anyways, in 10th grade I was about 45 WPM. 12th grade I went up to about 60 and now after my Linux text it said I was over 100 WPM.

There isn't anything wrong with you. There isn't a "right" way to type, type however works for you. If you can look at the keys that's awesome(that's how I type) if you have to look at the keys(how I use to type) that's cool too! It's all about being accurate not fast. I can type 300 WPM by typing ahfasfash; fjlohasof ashfas and it wouldn't matter. No one would hire anybody that can't type correctly at faster speeds. Worry about being accurate.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:08 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
I learned way back in high school. I have used Mavis Beacon just to speed up my typing. Another great resource is a really fun game you can download from I think it's popcap.com. The game is Typer-Shark. You have to type the words on the sharks before they eat your guy. There are all levels of difficulty and it's just fun. I've gotten up to about 74-80 wpm. Pretty cool. It also helps with using the numbers at the top of the keyboard too. Gotta watch out for the Piranahas...they have one letter, but come fast, so if you're a hunt and pecker...you'll get that one for sure!

I know you can download for free and then have to buy it. I think it's like $20. More fun the Mavis Beacon anyday!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:55 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default What is limiting you????

It is useful to think what is limiting you.

I learned to type at a very young age. On the older manual typewriters, never took any course, few folks showed me how to do it. Later in the military at a number of jobs required I be able to type, so was very well ahead of the course. But in most of those applications it was manual mechanical typewriters or teletype machines. Your speed was limited by the beast itself. A 50 WPM person was an extremely fast typist.

You will probably be limited to around 30 WPM if your method is to "think" about what you are typing. Very fast typists develop the ability to have the information "Flow Thru Their Brain", they are not even aware of what they have just typed. They are sort of a conduit, in the eyes, out the keys. Some might be even able to multi-task like talking on a telephone hand free setup and not lose much speed. They have achieved a sort of "automatic state".

If you are composing a letter or text like typing a reply here, very fast typists will "Thought Type". Again they are not really all that aware how it gets thru the hands and on to the screen. You think the thoughts and the words appear on the screen if by magic. I can "Thought Type" at around 60 WPM. If I have to slow down like now on a laptop, my text becomes very "Labored and Wooden". Lots of corrections and smoothing phrases, meanings and sentence structure during proof reading.

If you see my hands in a Pix, you will realize why these long, slim and gentle fingers can do what they do. Fast typing is more a form of mental training than something physical. As they say, it is not "All in the Wrist":

My home computer has many keys with the letter worn off. Without my hands in the proper position, I can not even find the keys by a hunt - peck method. If I have to think about the process I am screwed.

So to really type faster is a form of mental training with a different method than what you develop during early types of training. Much of it comes with practice but a lot of it is also the outlook you bring to the task. Really good secretaries multi-task at many different levels.

Last edited by Cosmic; 04-04-2007 at 08:31 PM..

Old 04-04-2007, 08:25 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I took touch typing back in junior high school, on these old, practically breaking down, manual typewriters! I type about 80 wpm accurately (which means 90 wpm with mistakes!). I knew a legal secretary who could type 110 wpm!!! Wow, that's just crazy.

It's very true that I don't think about what I'm typing. It just appears. Hand writing anything frustrates me, because I can type so much faster.

It just takes practice, and lots of it. Maybe it's like a foreign language, in that some people will learn more quickly than others, and the younger you are when you start, the more of an edge you have. But that's just a theory, not a fact.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:13 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
I took typing in high school. Back then the school had the old IBM Selectronic II's. Those were AWESOME! At home I had a little manual, what a pain. And here my kid gripes because her very own computer is not hooked up to the internet. LOL!!! Here ya go kid, type your project on this thing that weighs a ton.

I type pretty fast but do not know how fast anymore. I'm like that thought and type and the words just appear. My husband says I type too fast and it is loud. LOL!!! He thinks even with just the amount I've written so far that it sounds like I've typed out a novel. Sure. But he is a hunt & pecker and it drives me crazy. Just move over and let me type it will ya cause it is killing me to sit here and watch you.

Hmmm, I may have to find one of those programs that can test how fast I type now. Oh, and typing faster just means you have time to check out more threads on cd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics