U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

48,212 posts, read 27,683,823 times

Advertisements

Yesterday in a small town in Texas we stopped at a Dairy Queen. The instant the cashier handed me the change I noticed something odd.

For an instant I thought it was one of the new nickel designs. But this coin was awfully worn. I turned it over and lo and behold. It is a genuine old buffalo nickel from 1931!

The recent buffalo nickels still have Thomas Jefferson on the front. This one has the Indian chief.

This is oldest coin I've ever gotten in circulation. Prior to this it was a 1945 nickel. For some reason, nickels seem to have some of the older coins in my experience anyway.

I thought that was pretty cool!

Here is some info on them:
Indian Head nickel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - says this nickel is really rare in change these days. No doubt.

The Westward Journey Nickel Series

What makes you happy?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 04:20 AM

114,794 posts, read 61,660,053 times
Brian !! Young feller!! I saw buffalo head nickels in everyday change when I was a kid!! On occasion I'd get one of these Liberty Head nickel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or an Indian head penny wasn't so rare or Mercury dimes were every day!! These quarters were everyday!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_Liberty

Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

48,212 posts, read 27,683,823 times
I know. YOu're right. Some day kids will talk about the rarity of pre-1999 eagle quarters. Or they may get rid of the penny some day, and that'll make them collectors items. A penny might be worth as much as a cent or more!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 AM

15,927 posts, read 7,776,670 times
Dang BJH, I thought this thread was gonna be about you meeting the local sheriff!, in a small Texas town.!! LOL!!!

Congrats on the buffalo nickle, though!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,535,103 times
Very cool! It's been awhile since I have seen one of those.

It is fun finding things like that. Once when I was remodeling an old house, when we tore up the flooring, I guess they used to line underneath the flooring with newspaper. We found a newspaper from sometime in the early 1900's! It was the classified section and they were offering new cars (model A or something like that - don't know much about older cars) for $200! We also found one of the pieces of wood that we tore out had a railroad delivery stamp from 1914!

Now, on the not so fun side of it, there was also a dead, dehydrated rat that fell out of the ceiling on me when we pulled that apart!! I am glad my days of major remodeling are done!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 AM

28,778 posts, read 44,801,005 times
My grandfather used to hand these out to us when he got them as change.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/morgandollar.jpg (broken link)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k315/Tek_Freek/peacedollar.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics