Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times

Advertisements

Someone forwarded this to me, and I thought some of us of a "certain age" would remember most of these!!

I haven't thought about "fender skirts" in years. When I was a kid, I considered it such a funny term. Made me think of a car in a dress.
Thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.
Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first.

Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.
When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore -- "Store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "worldwide" for granted.

This floors me.On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure!

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now. "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

It's hard to recall that this word was once said in a whisper -"divorce." And no one is called a "divorcee" anymore. Certainly not a "gay divorcee." Come to think of it, "confirmed bachelors" and "career girls" are long gone, too.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day -- "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down.

Here's a word I miss -- "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffeemaker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "ElectraLuxe." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought - Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening their kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most -- "supper." Now everybody says "dinner."
Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:26 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
Instead of "Hub Caps" ,"Chrome Rims", "Mags" and "Glass Packs" use to be a special attraction on your car, now the glass packs are outlawed and the chrome rims and mag wheels were replaced with everyday "solid rims"

"Jack knife" was replaced with "pocket knife"

"Wall paper" was replaced with paint.

You don't see many young girls playing "Hoo-La-Hoop" or "Hop-Scotch" anymore either

Old 05-31-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Instead of "Hub Caps" ,"Chrome Rims", "Mags" and "Glass Packs" use to be a special attraction on your car, now the glass packs are outlawed and the chrome rims and mag wheels were replaced with everyday "solid rims"

"Jack knife" was replaced with "pocket knife"

"Wall paper" was replaced with paint.

You don't see many young girls playing "Hoo-La-Hoop" or "Hop-Scotch" anymore either
I miss those too and I haven't seen kids with marbles since my kids were young..Remember the "cats eye"

Old 05-31-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I miss those too and I haven't seen kids with marbles since my kids were young..Remember the "cats eye"
Oh yes, all most every one carried a bag of marbles when I was in school

Did you wear "Bobbie Socks" or "Liatards"?

Old 05-31-2009, 04:29 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Hey, what about the 'brodie knob' aka 'suicide wheel'...

Old 05-31-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I just did a search for them and you can still buy them.
They have one with the Chevy emblem that would look good on my Monte Carlo..

Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I just did a search for them and you can still buy them.
They have one with the Chevy emblem that would look good on my Monte Carlo..
Those are outlaws in California

Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
you mean the "necking knob"

Bags of marbles? Still around, my sons love to play marbles with the neighborhood kids; and around here everybody still calls it Supper. At the schools Hop-Scotch is still a very viable playground activity for kids. They even have permanent ones painted on an old driveway at the Elementary school.

I still will call it the Foot feed once in a while and miss the hand choke as well.

Anybody remember the old hand throttles you could put on your vehicles? Could be why there was also a "foot feed" now that I think of it.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 PM

Some of the old Plymouths had "push button transmissions". on the dash.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:32 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
And then there was the engine hand crank in front and you cranked the engine to start, then you had to run back around to the cab and adjust the spark control levers on the steering wheel.
Oh the good ol days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics