Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times

Advertisements

Over and over I get dirty looks and even had a few people approach me saying "you know that's a handicap parking place, don't you" or "you shouldn't park there".
This past week at Wal-mart after I backed out of a spot the gentleman waiting to come in was tugging at his handicap placard hanging from his rearview mirror yelling since I don't have one I can't park there....how dare me.

And here I thought I was doing the right thing....if I don't need to park up close, I don't. But if I do-I do.

What people see is a petite, slender young lady w/ no makeup, ponytail, and sneakers use a handicap space.

What they don't see is a spinal disc protrusion and spinal hemangioma with bone dengeneration, and some other spinal thing I can't even spell. And what they don't see, or bother to look at is a permanent handicap symbol on the auto license plate beside the words Disabled Veteran.

It really doesn't bother me so much....but I do have a teenage daughter who witnesses these people and how they 'treat' me. I simply just remind her that those individuals just simply don't know and not to let it bother her.

But it does.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Point out your license plate.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,527 times
make a hang tag that says... Check out the plates! so when someone waggles their tag at you you can hold up your sign.

mom and I have been in tag waggle contests. We don't leave the tag on the mirror like too many folks do even though it is illegal to do so. (Yes folks it is illegal to leave your hang tag on the mirror while the car is in motion.) Anyways... I was parking in a space and before I really got into it some guy drive up and trys to block me waggling his tag... we mom pulled out our tag and waggle it at him. I stuck my tongue out at him and procceeded to park.

I can understand why they do what they do too many people do park unjustly in the handicap space. In another thread I think on shoppin forum I was writing about the same thing. I have seen people who park in the space and carry in a large TV for a return.

When all that happens just laugh and realize that part of their handicap might be in the brain.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:40 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Get a tag and hang it when you park. It's not a difficult solution. If they still complain, then you're dealing with a fool and there's not a thing you can do to fix that problem.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:28 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Can you get a regular handicapped parking decal? I'm not sure of the process, but you sure do deserve one.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
LOL After my car accident someone questioned me. The asked just WHAT my problem was. I B-slapped them and said, "I'm crazy". I have a feeling they did not ask anyone else.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:27 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
I always check for tags and/or plates; if either are there, I am cool 110%. If they aren't there, I call the cops.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I always check for tags and/or plates; if either are there, I am cool 110%. If they aren't there, I call the cops.
Just wondering, do they do anything? Most parking lots are private property.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Maybe you can carry a walking stick, if they get out of line - whack 'em! Maybe instead of whack-a-mole it's whack-a-prying-idiot.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Just wondering, do they do anything? Most parking lots are private property.
I would say it depends more on the state and how seriously it takes it handicap laws. Handicap parking laws as I understand them are always inforcable. Sometimes the property owners have to get involved but rarely.

Most places I know the businesses will take a course of action if some idiot used the space for non-handicap means. The business normally want the handicap spaces there for the right people, since that brings in more people to the business. If they allow any person to park there they will lose a certain amount of repeat business and have to deal with annoyance calls and reports. Easier to deal with the problem head on.

I stated in another thread that one can actually take a photo of the illegal parker with sign and LP tag, call the police ask for a citizens arrest and press charges. Most often though the store will mark down the information, write an infraction ticket and if it happens again will call the police. Most people who do it once will do it again.

I think our local Targets will actually call the police and have the person ticketed. Strange but people think store security/mall cops have no pull. They might not be able to inforce all codes but they can in some cases write parking tickets in some areas, even if the car and driver are gone from the area. Scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics