Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times

Advertisements

Dreaded things - What???? No really, I am sure everyone has had those dreaded things that you put off because they seem so horrible - - - - But, when you finally do them it is really no big deal!! It is always such a nice feeling afterwards when you can say "That wasn't that bad - I should have done that long ago!"

One of those that I always remember was from childhood.......... I was about 9 and had to get a blood test. I never had this done before and was terrified!! My friends didn't help either - they made it sound like the most painful, tortureous thing ever! Well, when I went in to do it I was at the verge of tears I was so scared - - - - - Then they did it and I actually started laughing and crying at the same time!!!! It was nothing, no big deal, and I was so relieved to let go of the fear!!!

What kind of "dreaded things", or anything else has made you happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Last Jan I had to get the vaccinations my company required/suggested for overseas travel. When the nurse walked in with 5 hypodermics I wanted to make a break for it. She all but had to tackle me. Turns out it did not hurt.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Last Jan I had to get the vaccinations my company required/suggested for overseas travel. When the nurse walked in with 5 hypodermics I wanted to make a break for it. She all but had to tackle me. Turns out it did not hurt.
That might have made me flinch, too!!

My ten year old daughter has autoimmune thyroid disease and has to have her blood drawn regularly. One of the last times she went in, they had a bunch of other things to test for, and the guy walked in with 8 vials!! These were 8 of the LARGE vials. I tried to act like I didn't notice, so as to not scare my daughter (who was already used to this, but not EIGHT).

Well, it didn't bother her at all! Actually, I think she enjoyed the "bragging rights" it gave her for later! She is such a trooper - for quite some time when she would go in for her test, you could see the lab people get a nervous look on their face and start looking for someone to hold her down if they needed to. Then they would ask her if she ever had her blood drawn before, and she would say "Oh yeah, I do it all the time!"!!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
I know what you mean. I don't have any medical examples, but for instance, talking to people I don't know. When I was a kid I was sometimes painfully shy. YOu wouldn't know it if you knew me today. I start conversations with strangers. I've interviewed people for the school paper, just strangers, been to job interviews, learned to speak to a class. And I didn't faint or die once!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I know what you mean. I don't have any medical examples, but for instance, talking to people I don't know. When I was a kid I was sometimes painfully shy. YOu wouldn't know it if you knew me today. I start conversations with strangers. I've interviewed people for the school paper, just strangers, been to job interviews, learned to speak to a class. And I didn't faint or die once!
I can completely relate to your prior shyness issue! I know, you wouldn't know by the way I am today either, but I was so shy that when I had to speak in class, I was a mess! I could literally feel my face get red and hot as I was speaking!

It's nice to not feel that way anymore! It's also nice to see that my kids did not inherit that problem - they would jump at the chance to get up and entertain their class!!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
I remember giving a talk in speech class and feeling quakey. When I said so other students said, "Really? You looked really confident." I guess that's a good thing.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times

I put it off until I get tired of wearing all the 'take out of the dryer and wear' clothes.
After I'm done ironing, it's like a whole new wardrobe since I haven't seen many of those
articles of clothing for 6 months.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
That might have made me flinch, too!!

My ten year old daughter has autoimmune thyroid disease and has to have her blood drawn regularly. One of the last times she went in, they had a bunch of other things to test for, and the guy walked in with 8 vials!! These were 8 of the LARGE vials. I tried to act like I didn't notice, so as to not scare my daughter (who was already used to this, but not EIGHT).

Well, it didn't bother her at all! Actually, I think she enjoyed the "bragging rights" it gave her for later! She is such a trooper - for quite some time when she would go in for her test, you could see the lab people get a nervous look on their face and start looking for someone to hold her down if they needed to. Then they would ask her if she ever had her blood drawn before, and she would say "Oh yeah, I do it all the time!"!!
When I was about 7 I had to have blood work done every other week. At first I would act like the world was going to end. After a while it became very ho hum. Once when a new nurse missed the vein twice I asked her if she wanted me to stick the needle in.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,840 times
I dreaded cleaning the house today...especially the bathroom. I did it and now that it's all done and the house looks/smells great I find that doing the deed wasn't all that unpleasant.

Now I can sit back, surf the net and wait for the thunderstorms to hit!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

I put it off until I get tired of wearing all the 'take out of the dryer and wear' clothes.
After I'm done ironing, it's like a whole new wardrobe since I haven't seen many of those
articles of clothing for 6 months.
My life is "take out of the dryer" now! The office I work in is very casual, so I don't do dry cleaning or ironing (unless it gets left in the dryer too long) anymore!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics