Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Oregon
1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
Reputation: 6935

Advertisements

Dreaded things - What???? No really, I am sure everyone has had those dreaded things that you put off because they seem so horrible - - - - But, when you finally do them it is really no big deal!! It is always such a nice feeling afterwards when you can say "That wasn't that bad - I should have done that long ago!"

One of those that I always remember was from childhood.......... I was about 9 and had to get a blood test. I never had this done before and was terrified!! My friends didn't help either - they made it sound like the most painful, tortureous thing ever! Well, when I went in to do it I was at the verge of tears I was so scared - - - - - Then they did it and I actually started laughing and crying at the same time!!!! It was nothing, no big deal, and I was so relieved to let go of the fear!!!

What kind of "dreaded things", or anything else has made you happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Reputation: 106086
Last Jan I had to get the vaccinations my company required/suggested for overseas travel. When the nurse walked in with 5 hypodermics I wanted to make a break for it. She all but had to tackle me. Turns out it did not hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Oregon
1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
Reputation: 6935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Last Jan I had to get the vaccinations my company required/suggested for overseas travel. When the nurse walked in with 5 hypodermics I wanted to make a break for it. She all but had to tackle me. Turns out it did not hurt.
That might have made me flinch, too!!

My ten year old daughter has autoimmune thyroid disease and has to have her blood drawn regularly. One of the last times she went in, they had a bunch of other things to test for, and the guy walked in with 8 vials!! These were 8 of the LARGE vials. I tried to act like I didn't notice, so as to not scare my daughter (who was already used to this, but not EIGHT).

Well, it didn't bother her at all! Actually, I think she enjoyed the "bragging rights" it gave her for later! She is such a trooper - for quite some time when she would go in for her test, you could see the lab people get a nervous look on their face and start looking for someone to hold her down if they needed to. Then they would ask her if she ever had her blood drawn before, and she would say "Oh yeah, I do it all the time!"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 10:34 AM
bjh
 
60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Reputation: 135750
I know what you mean. I don't have any medical examples, but for instance, talking to people I don't know. When I was a kid I was sometimes painfully shy. YOu wouldn't know it if you knew me today. I start conversations with strangers. I've interviewed people for the school paper, just strangers, been to job interviews, learned to speak to a class. And I didn't faint or die once!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Oregon
1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
Reputation: 6935
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I know what you mean. I don't have any medical examples, but for instance, talking to people I don't know. When I was a kid I was sometimes painfully shy. YOu wouldn't know it if you knew me today. I start conversations with strangers. I've interviewed people for the school paper, just strangers, been to job interviews, learned to speak to a class. And I didn't faint or die once!
I can completely relate to your prior shyness issue! I know, you wouldn't know by the way I am today either, but I was so shy that when I had to speak in class, I was a mess! I could literally feel my face get red and hot as I was speaking!

It's nice to not feel that way anymore! It's also nice to see that my kids did not inherit that problem - they would jump at the chance to get up and entertain their class!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 AM
bjh
 
60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Reputation: 135750
I remember giving a talk in speech class and feeling quakey. When I said so other students said, "Really? You looked really confident." I guess that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Reputation: 58749


I put it off until I get tired of wearing all the 'take out of the dryer and wear' clothes.
After I'm done ironing, it's like a whole new wardrobe since I haven't seen many of those
articles of clothing for 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Airports all over the world
7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Reputation: 106086
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh1127 View Post
That might have made me flinch, too!!

My ten year old daughter has autoimmune thyroid disease and has to have her blood drawn regularly. One of the last times she went in, they had a bunch of other things to test for, and the guy walked in with 8 vials!! These were 8 of the LARGE vials. I tried to act like I didn't notice, so as to not scare my daughter (who was already used to this, but not EIGHT).

Well, it didn't bother her at all! Actually, I think she enjoyed the "bragging rights" it gave her for later! She is such a trooper - for quite some time when she would go in for her test, you could see the lab people get a nervous look on their face and start looking for someone to hold her down if they needed to. Then they would ask her if she ever had her blood drawn before, and she would say "Oh yeah, I do it all the time!"!!
When I was about 7 I had to have blood work done every other week. At first I would act like the world was going to end. After a while it became very ho hum. Once when a new nurse missed the vein twice I asked her if she wanted me to stick the needle in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Maryland
1,249 posts, read 2,460,840 times
Reputation: 6749
I dreaded cleaning the house today...especially the bathroom. I did it and now that it's all done and the house looks/smells great I find that doing the deed wasn't all that unpleasant.

Now I can sit back, surf the net and wait for the thunderstorms to hit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times
Reputation: 6935
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

I put it off until I get tired of wearing all the 'take out of the dryer and wear' clothes.
After I'm done ironing, it's like a whole new wardrobe since I haven't seen many of those
articles of clothing for 6 months.
My life is "take out of the dryer" now! The office I work in is very casual, so I don't do dry cleaning or ironing (unless it gets left in the dryer too long) anymore!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:02 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top