Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

59,731 posts, read 30,177,339 times

Advertisements

One of the benefits of living in far western Tennessee is that this is a really beautiful part of the world. There are great big trees and everything is green now. In the autumn, the leaf change is amazing.

There is urban and suburban wildlife. I've seen foxes and deer in the middle of towns.

In the springtime the flowering plants and trees really lit up the place.

What's beautiful near where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,966,257 times
On the drive between Anchorage and Fairbanks about half way you are in a wide valley with few trees. In early Sep the colors of the ground foliage and bushes are amazing. There are reds, golds, yellows, oranges, purples, browns.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:01 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,640,637 times
I feel very fortunate to live in Oregon! It is green, mountains, rivers, lakes - - - - I love it! We happen to live on a neat piece of property where we can enjoy the best of Oregon every day! One of the nice things about it is that we have that "out in the middle of nowhere" feel, but are only 15 minutes from town!

I actually got to enjoy a doe and her yearling just outside our window this morning! The dogs were inside sleeping, so the deer were able to hang out for awhile!

BJH - I have never been to Tennessee before, but it sounds beautiful!

Alaskan Mutt - Never been to Alaska either, but have always wanted to see it!

Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,474,205 times
We like getting out of the city and into the country.
We have a ride we take called "The Loop" it take you thru a state park with the old trees with the branches making a tunnel, spanish moss gracefully swaying in the breeze. You come out of the tunnel into some scrub brush and end up looking directly at the ocean.

Lots of areas like this.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,265,766 times
Very little beauty in Houston or even Texas, to me.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:56 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

59,731 posts, read 30,177,339 times
I love the look and feel of forest and trees that much of North America has. I wondered if anyone would answer about a desert climate which some people like.

ILNC, there is some forest in east Texas...do you like that?

Old 06-12-2009, 05:12 PM

22,999 posts, read 34,265,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I love the look and feel of forest and trees that much of North America has. I wondered if anyone would answer about a desert climate which some people like.

ILNC, there is some forest in east Texas...do you like that?
Not really, it's too flat, I prefer the mountains in North Carolina and Tenn, now that's real beauty.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:18 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,966,257 times
I live in one of the greenbelt areas of Anchorage. Even though it is a fully developed residential area well within the city boundries, there are lots and lots of big trees everywhere. Everyone has trees in their yards. If you were to remove the houses you would be standing in a forest. There is a creek that dumps into a lake about a half of block from the house. In the winter time you will have 2 or 3 moose wandering about the houses. Every morning shortly after sunrise about a dozen ravens gather in the cottonwood tree in my back yard. 20 minutes later they are off to get into whatever trouble they have planned for the day. While I have yet to see it, there is a brown bear that has been known to pass thru from time to time.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,300,729 times
I live in Wisconsin, which is pretty rather than spectacular, but after 18 years in extreme south Texas, Wisconsin sure looks good to me. It's green, for one thing, countless shades of green, which is a most welcome change from the tan and dun of south Texas. And there are countless lakes, rivers, streams and rivulets throughout the state, to say nothing of the Great Lakes that provide half or more of the state's borders.

Much of the state has gently rolling hills or drumlins rather than mountains, a legacy of the last glacier to scrape its way through a few millenia ago. Out in the western parts of the state, though there's the area known as the "driftless region," which dodged the ice bulldozer, and there are some simply lovely bluffs and rocky outcrops there. And Door County, the thumb of Wisconsin's muchly-misshapen mitten, is one of the most beloved vacation destinations in the state. Here are a couple of photos from our last vacation up there, last September:

The many shades of green in Wisconsin

Overlooking Green Bay from Peninsula State Park in Door County

Attached Thumbnails
Today's Happy: beeyooteeful - 06/12/09-door-cty-001.jpg   Today's Happy: beeyooteeful - 06/12/09-door-cty-002.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics