Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Heavy thunderstorms went through Memphis like a freight train about seven hours ago. It was 85 degrees and went down to 70 in 15 minutes. That's a degree lower per minute.

No matter how powerful we think we are nature has us beat. Tonight lots of people are without power. Our neighborhood was spared. We still have our lights on. The most we have is a misty humidity and lots of bits of tree limb tips littering the lawns.

Have you weathered a storm recently, meteorologically or otherwise, that's made you happy or at least relieved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Heavy thunderstorms went through Memphis like a freight train about seven hours ago. It was 85 degrees and went down to 70 in 15 minutes. That's a degree lower per minute.

No matter how powerful we think we are nature has us beat. Tonight lots of people are without power. Our neighborhood was spared. We still have our lights on. The most we have is a misty humidity and lots of bits of tree limb tips littering the lawns.

Have you weathered a storm recently, meteorologically or otherwise, that's made you happy or at least relieved?
My life has been so haywire lately that every day my family is alive and safe is a happy day for me.
It's a blessing, to have all the people I care about safe and well.
On the other hand, it's kind of sad that I even have to think about their safety. It's something I used to take for granted up until recently.
I'm afraid I will never be able to take it for granted again, that by this time tomorrow, everybody I care about will still be alive and well.
I want my innocence back, damn it!!

/ rant off.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Am currently at Baltimore. A couple nights ago there was a thunder and lightning storm. It was the most intense one I had ever seen. In Anchorage a typical thunderstorm consists of 2 bolts of lightning and then it is over.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:06 AM

2,177 posts, read 3,547,007 times
We have had a dreary week, cloudy over cast skies with rain off and on. Today woke to a beautiful sunrise and sunny day. But shouldn't complain the moisture was most needed for sure.

Wishing everyone a great day.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:01 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Am currently at Baltimore. A couple nights ago there was a thunder and lightning storm. It was the most intense one I had ever seen. In Anchorage a typical thunderstorm consists of 2 bolts of lightning and then it is over.
I wonder if that has something to do with it being so far north.

Well, here there are something like 100k+ people without electricity. Thank God we are not among them.

There are a lot of traffic lights that are not working, so they are functioning as if they are four way stop sign intersections. That makes it slow going because for some reason, some people just don't seem to be able to figure out when it is there turn to wait or to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics